Why do Pro 29 motors require HAZMAT shipping?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Why do AT loads from the size D-I not require HAZMAT, but CTI motors of that size do require shipping?

I'm just a little bit frustrated with the HAZMAT fees every time I got to buy some Pro 29 3 grain loads.

Thanks,

I believe it all has to do with the size of the grains that they are shipping.

Perhaps try getting in on a group buy with your rocket club. Or buy from your local vendor and save on shipping and Hazmat. I try to just stock up twice a year so that Hazmat isn't as bad.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's the weight of the propellant. I want to say anything more than 30 grams requires HAZMAT shipping. There are a few 29-1 grain loads that might ship without HAZMAT. Your best best is to buy at a launch if you want to aviod HAZMAT

* pyrogen pellets
* one or more oversize grains
* smaller grains not individually packaged

AFAICT

CTI motors are preassembled in the liner. AT and Loki grains come individually packaged and need to be assembled by the flyer.

CTI motors are preassembled in the liner. AT and Loki grains come individually packaged and need to be assembled by the flyer.

That's the key right there. There is a max limit on how much propellant can be shipped non-HAZMAT. As long as the shipment is broken up to individual packages with less than the maximum, it doesn't incur HAZMAT. Three 25g grains, individually packaged = no HAZMAT, three 25g grains pre-assembled in a motor = HAZMAT. That is why some single use motors have HAZMAT when the same size reloads don't.

You have to pay for the convenience of CTI pre-assembly by paying HAZMAT, along with the higher cost of pre-assembly of course. It's a personal preference.

In addition to what Handeman said, and as others have mentioned the ignition pellets are BP and require hazmat for them.

The key requirement for shipping via USPS is that they must be properly classified.

A toy propellant device assigned UN0454 or NA0323 and classed as a Division 1.4S explosive is eligible for mailing in domestic mail via surface transportation only when prior written permission has been obtained...

The last time I looked, there were no CTI motors classified as 1.4S. Everything that might qualify is classified as 1.4C and is thus not shippable via USPS.
There are two major differences between the CTI and Aerotech reloads: 1) Aerotech packages the propellant grains in individual wrappings. 2) CTI motors are tested and classified in Canada so the US specific hazard class of NA0323 isn't an option and that is the one for motors. (UN0454 is for igniters)

Back