• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Info: When did Estes change the Alpha to have self-stick decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Alpha's for my student's and my build, and I was surprised to see that the Alphas had self-stick decals. Since the kits were clearly from an educator's pack, I figured that the decals were simplified for those. Now investigating the change, I notice that the decals in the standard kits are listed as self-stick. When did that happen? I happen to like the waterslide decals, and wish that I could score them (black and red preferably) for my build.

Thanks!
Jim

Jim,

Based on the extensive catalog and instruction sheet research I did for our recent Alpha 50th celebration last September, backed by a bunch of eBay Alpha kit acquisitions, the blue/red peel-n-stick Alpha markings first appeared in about 1996 and show as such with the 6-95 dated version of the second half of the then-eight-page instruction set. This is the second iteration of that 8-page/two-catalog-number set of Alpha instructions. (The first had no dates on either part.)

Black and red decals (which appeared circa 1982) were supplanted by blue/red water slide decals circa 1990. That color livery was first mentioned in the 1990 catalog. I have examples of kits with the 82925 rev. G instructions (the ones that show a blow molded nose cone close to the original BNC-50K shape OR an Alpha III nose cone) with both the red/black and blue/black waterslide decals.

I don’t think I have any spare copies of red/black but I can look. I also had a red/black rendition in vinyl done by Callie Graphics in Magdalena NM last year. These were based on a red/black scan I sent to Callie.

Added: .pdf of an Alpha timeline that was part of our Museum of Flight display last September. I had to take the pictures out to get it to be small enough to post. *sigh*

Added later - I was able to get a version with reduced quality pictures that was plenty small enough by exporting from Pages on my Mac rather than iOS as I'd tried before.

View attachment Alpha display timeline2.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the info BEC.

Dear Estes,

For the educator's pack please continue to use the peel and stick decals, but give us old guys a break and sell the full price individual kits with waterslide.

Thanks!
Jim

lol, based on the year the decals first appeared, I think the really old guys don't get any!

That's true....just a suggestion in the instructions for a paint scheme - the classic white with red for the nose cone one fin and fin panel.

FYI, I have a .SVG file created from Bernards PDF of both the red and blue and red and black decals with Bernards permission I would be willing to share them. The were crested using Inkscape.

Back