Where to get ematches?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I spoke to MJG regarding firewireinitiator.com and they are authorized to sell Firewire initiators and they are the exact same thing that MJG sells, i.e. not seconds, etc. It sounds like firewireinitiator.com has been set up to distribute smaller quantities, to people like us, where MJG will concentrate on the larger quantity sales, to fireworks display operators I assume. So, they are legit.

Randy

The biggest problem for me with the Firewires is the length. I cut mine down to about 4 inches for use in charge wells. Just needs to get from the terminal block to the well. I like the Bilusocn because you can get them in one foot lengths. With the Firewires, I'd have to throw away almost three feet of copper every time I use one.

The biggest problem for me with the Firewires is the length. I cut mine down to about 4 inches for use in charge wells. Just needs to get from the terminal block to the well. I like the Bilusocn because you can get them in one foot lengths. With the Firewires, I'd have to throw away almost three feet of copper every time I use one.

I reuse the removed wires and make starters out of them. Twist them in a drill, bare the ends and dip into a favorite igniter mix.

I got bilusocn matches through amazon previously, and they all worked fine. Like you, 100 didn't seem like enough, so I made an order directly from bilusocn about two weeks ago after reading your post. Got the Paypal receipt, but no other communications. Now the website looks different, and the $15.15 for 100 product doesn't even show up for sale, anymore! Dealing with China is a gamble......

Update. Got my bilusocn matches from China. Took about a month to arrive.

For those looking for Bilusocn starters, if you keep an eye on Ebay, every now and then you can find some being shipped from the US even though they're Chinese sellers. Mine took like 2-3 days.

Randy

I reuse the removed wires and make starters out of them. Twist them in a drill, bare the ends and dip into a favorite igniter mix.

Agreed. I use short ones and recycle extra from longer for igniters. Even the igniter wires that aren't scorched get reused if longer pieces.

For those looking for Bilusocn starters, if you keep an eye on Ebay, every now and then you can find some being shipped from the US even though they're Chinese sellers. Mine took like 2-3 days.

Randy

Are these the right ematches? https://www.bilusocn.com/home/42-10...ng-system-e-matchcopper-wireconnect-wire.html

specs from the product description: 21°C(70°F)resistance: 1.3±0.15Ω — 1.7±0.15Ω2. Fire current: 0.40A /0.37A3. Safety current: 0.25A 5S/0.18A 5S4. Testing current: 0.5MA

I'll be using these with an Eggtimer - my first ever dual deploy so want to make sure I'm getting the right thing...

or these? even cheaper... https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-match-10...125626?hash=item3aeb05bf7a:g:tcIAAOSwCmZZRfPp

Are these the right ematches? https://www.bilusocn.com/home/42-10...ng-system-e-matchcopper-wireconnect-wire.html

specs from the product description: 21°C(70°F)resistance: 1.3±0.15Ω — 1.7±0.15Ω2. Fire current: 0.40A /0.37A3. Safety current: 0.25A 5S/0.18A 5S4. Testing current: 0.5MA

I'll be using these with an Eggtimer - my first ever dual deploy so want to make sure I'm getting the right thing...

or these? even cheaper... https://www.ebay.com/itm/E-match-10...125626?hash=item3aeb05bf7a:g:tcIAAOSwCmZZRfPp

Those look like the ones I'm using from them, but my shrouds are red...don't see any indication that that means anything. I've had one potential failure in my first 50 or so that I've used (mostly ground testing...that's more fun than I realized it would be), but I didn't try to use it- I measured the resistance after filling with BP but before firing, and it was 3R, ~3x the average. I plan to test that one in a can when I have time, just to see if that outlier resistance reading means anything.
To that end, be sure to measure the resistance before you load it in whatever containment device you're using (I've found the published resistance ranges to be very accurate), and again once you've got the charge laid up.

EDIT: responding to the question about the ebay seller- those are pretty short, you'd be perhaps happier with the added length of the first ones (50cm) vs the ebay variety (~25cm). Always easier to shorten shooters wire than to try to lengthen it.

Where's a good place to get good quality, cheap ematches?
And, also, where's a good place to get igniters for BIG motors. Like M and above, (without having to need a special permit).
Thank you all,
Ben
I just bought mine off eBay. The seller was “chinastageeffects”, as I recall. 62 for $8.50, free shipping. I have not used yet, but fired one, nice flame for a second or so. These were referral from someone that has used them a lot for BP clusters. They’ll fit in a D/E/F nozzle. I first did a search for “bilusocn”. I just searched now and same deal is there, plus much larger lots.

I just bought mine off eBay. The seller was “chinastageeffects”, as I recall. 62 for $8.50, free shipping. I have not used yet, but fired one, nice flame for a second or so. These were referral from someone that has used them a lot for BP clusters. They’ll fit in a D/E/F nozzle. I first did a search for “bilusocn”. I just searched now and same deal is there, plus much larger lots.

Are these reliable as motor starters as well? I was only planning on using them for deployment charges.

Are these reliable as motor starters as well? I was only planning on using them for deployment charges.

They appear to be reliable for easily-ignited APCP, as long as the nozzle throat is plenty large enough for the head to fit through (1/4" or larger); I've used them in this fashion. For less-easily ignited APCP, a strip of boost taped to the head is warranted. Probably a good idea to use a boost anyway, to avoid walking out to the pad again. A 1" long strip 1/8" square has worked for me with blackjack-clone propellants.

Best,
Terry

A couple of points. First, you have to decide what length you need for your application. In general, the more wire, the more they'll cost. They tend to come in 30cm, 50cm and 100cm lengths.

Second, Bilusocn seems to be the only brand name you'll find. They actually have a website you can visit. When you go to their website you'll see the name Magic Effect too, so the ones you see on e-Bay named Magic Effect may also be Bilusocn. Heck, they may all be made by Bilusocn for all we know.

These are the best price I've seen for Bilusocn branded 30cm. These also say Bilusocn but they ship from the US.

FWIW, I've been running some test, see this thread, and have fired over 40 of them with no issues so far.

Randy

A couple of points. First, you have to decide what length you need for your application. In general, the more wire, the more they'll cost. They tend to come in 30cm, 50cm and 100cm lengths.

Second, Bilusocn seems to be the only brand name you'll find. They actually have a website you can visit. When you go to their website you'll see the name Magic Effect too, so the ones you see on e-Bay named Magic Effect may also be Bilusocn. Heck, they may all be made by Bilusocn for all we know.

These are the best price I've seen for Bilusocn branded 30cm. These also say Bilusocn but they ship from the US.

FWIW, I've been running some test, see this thread, and have fired over 40 of them with no issues so far.

Randy

I've only ever used the Bilusocn ematches for all my deployment charges. Never had a single failure in years.

I've also used them in a pinch as a motor starter. They've worked well with that also. Undipped, they've ignited up to a G80.

I ordered (80) for $29 from firewireinitiator.com on 1/31/18. I requested shipping costs and via email was told shipping would be "in the $15 range". On 2/3/18, I was invoiced $25.71 for shipping. The package was delivered 3/20/18. Postage was $22.71. So for $54.71 I got (80) MJG firewire J-tek delivered to my door. That's a good deal.
Dave Bradley
TRA 1498

I was wondering the exact same thing. Typical case of seems to good to be true. My concern is that they're seconds or somehow not up to the same quality standards as the ones purchased directly from MJG.

Randy

They are not seconds. We sell the same exact thing you get from MJG. I really hate when people speculate in a public forum with zero knowledge. We have contact information on our website if you have questions. If you are concerned feel free to order from MJG and pay more than double our price.

FWIW, I spoke to MJG regarding firewireinitiator.com and they are authorized to sell Firewire initiators and they are the exact same thing that MJG sells, i.e. not seconds, etc. It sounds like firewireinitiator.com has been set up to distribute smaller quantities, to people like us, where MJG will concentrate on the larger quantity sales, to fireworks display operators I assume. So, they are legit.

Randy

We sell small and large quantities to hobbyist, display companies and SPFX companies. We are the industry leaders in making firewire initiators affordable to hobbyist in the fireworks and rocket industry.

I signed up for this forum a couple of years ago. Followed the instructions to become a vendor here but the admin never responded to my request. So I rarely ever visit this forum. My time is better spent at pyrofan.com.

BTW the ATF maintains records of your illegal e match purchases from ebay and other sources. If they determine you have enough resources they will go after you.

BTW the ATF maintains records of your illegal e match purchases from ebay and other sources. If they determine you have enough resources they will go after you.
If they do, then they are violating the Fourth Amendment. They would need an authorization from the FISA court to conduct a search of any U.S. person's electronic purchasing records, and said authorization would only be issued given probable cause that a crime or act of terrorism had been committed, or is in the process of being planned or committed.

Back