Greasing O-Rings - the how

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
To compliment the other O ring greasing thread...

How do you grease your O-rings? I figure most of use just ooze a bit-o-grease between our fingers & massage each O-Ring until well coated. Then we either ditch the gloves we just put on for the occasion, or wash / wipe our hands clean. Then install as needed.

I do try the 'baggie method' where i have a small baggie, a small zip lock in my kit. I'd toss in the O-rings, then a squirt of grease and massage the bag with the O-Rings inside. Then just remove as needed with a pick or tweezers. Works for the most part.. keeps the mess down, and relatively contaminant free. Also, save the bag for next time, and the next time, and the .. Saves on the grease use / waste..

Do you have another idea / method?

I put on a disposable nitrile glove. 1st, Lube all the hardware threads and inside the case. And then with the residual throw all the O-rings in my hand and massage them around. Then dispose of gloves for clean hands to assemble propellant.

I guess I'm a savage. A dab on the finger, roll on the thumb, spin the rings through a couple times, set 'em on a paper towel. Run fingers on threads etc.

Wipe hands on another paper towel, assemble reload, only touch inhibited surfaces. Wipe hands on pants probably, irritate self.

As an aside when doing delay grains, if one is going to "loosely" grease the cardboard insulator before sliding into the forward closure, be extremely sparingly with the grease. If one gets a tiny bit "too much" when you screw the motor together
the touch hole could get blocked for the ejection charge. Been there, done that and the fincan survived so I was able to convert a single deploy rocket to a dual deploy rocket for another go around. Kurt

As an aside when doing delay grains, if one is going to "loosely" grease the cardboard insulator before sliding into the forward closure, be extremely sparingly with the grease. If one gets a tiny bit "too much" when you screw the motor together
the touch hole could get blocked for the ejection charge. Been there, done that and the fincan survived so I was able to convert a single deploy rocket to a dual deploy rocket for another go around. Kurt

I think the title was about orings!

I guess I'm a savage. A dab on the finger, roll on the thumb, spin the rings through a couple times, set 'em on a paper towel. Run fingers on threads etc.

Wipe hands on another paper towel, assemble reload, only touch inhibited surfaces. Wipe hands on pants probably, irritate self.

Fellow savage here! Except I only use a dab to grease the rings so don't put anything on the threads or liner. I stopped greasing liners over 10 years ago when I found out I have less problems getting spent liners out when I don't grease them. I don't know when I stopped greasing the threads, but I will still grease them once in a while, if I remember, usually on the 29/40-120 cases.

I use a greaser that was in an Aerocon grab bag that I won. Basically a circular plastic container with sponge material in the top and bottom. Much less grease on fingers. Probably could make one.

I’m a savage also I guess. The amount of grease needed for o-rings is so small that I usually just put a tiny bit on one finger and spread it on all the o-rings, then rub it into my hands.
For liners I get messy then clean my hands with baby wipes.

If the O-ring has to slide on it, it gets greased - a rather thin layer is all it takes. That reduces O-ring tearing.

Gerald

Savage here too - I do the threads and o-rings with my finger. That has never been the cause of a failure haha

I’m a savage also I guess. The amount of grease needed for o-rings is so small that I usually just put a tiny bit on one finger and spread it on all the o-rings, then rub it into my hands.
For liners I get messy then clean my hands with baby wipes.

Steve, if you want to be considered a savage,you wipe your hands on your pants, shirt, or if dinner is planned later - in your hair...

I put a little grease in the palm of my left hand and drop an O-ring on it. I use one finger on my right hand to work the O-ring around. Repeat as many times as needed to do all the O-rings. I use the same finger to grease the threads. I don't grease the liner unless it seems really tight. I wipe the rest of the lube on my finger on my pants. Or if I forgot the Preparation H and its a bad day I... never mind; just ignore that last part.

If I am helping a newbie assemble their first Aerotech motor then I offer to grease everything and don't allow them to touch anything that has grease on it. Or if they want to do the grease I handle the other stuff until they have cleaned their hands.

I care a small bottle of alcohol (96%) from the pharmacy in my range box for cleaning purposes.
First, I grease the o-rings, threads etc
Second, I carefully clean my hands with the alcohol and paper towels
Third, I realize that I forgot one part and get my hands greasy again... :eyeroll:

Reinhard

I use a greaser that was in an Aerocon grab bag that I won. Basically a circular plastic container with sponge material in the top and bottom. Much less grease on fingers. Probably could make one.

+1. The ONLY way to fly.

If you're worried about grease burning inside your motor, you're using too much grease.

Grease doesn't make the seal. The o-ring makes the seal. Greasing o-rings isn't about the grease. It's about lubricating the o-ring. A film of lube is all that is needed, so when that closure is screwed on, it doesn't tear the o-ring.

Last edited:
for the very few motors I have assembled and pretty much any other o ring I have greased I put a dab of grease on the tip of my index finger and them rub my thumb and index finger together then insert o ring between thumb and index finger. very light coating. edited to add: then rub hands on pants.

for the very few motors I have assembled and pretty much any other o ring I have greased I put a dab of grease on the tip of my index finger and them rub my thumb and index finger together then insert o ring between thumb and index finger. very light coating. edited to add: then rub hands on pants.

+1 on the method and +1 on the pants!!!

The only time I grease the case is the outer ends of snap ring cases. It seems the closure and nozzle with o-ring installed slip inside the case and past the snap ring groove much better when there's a liberal amount of grease on the case. And of course if you are in the field, the excess goes on the pants, outside thigh.

Back