Quad Clusta Kraken - Rebuild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This beastie had to be retired after only 3 flights.
1st was on a pair of H225's to test electronics, etc. with used 4 grains in the airstart tubes. Reached apogee of 1024 ft and came down to a soft landing on a pile of sagebrush.
2nd was a pair of J290's airstarting a pair of I170's. Perfect flight to 6730ft.
3rd and last flight was a pair of J skids on the pad to I smokies in the air, not the best flight in the world. I learned that sparkies off the pad need special love and attention, which I hadn't bestowed upon the rocket. One started on the pad, and the rocket lazily lifted and started a nice leisurely curve to the side. Just as it got to near horizontal at about 400ft, the other skid started, which was now on the 'bottom' of the rocket, and so its off center thrust kept the rocket slightly nose up.. for just over two seconds. Since I had told the Raven to airstart the smokies 2 seconds after FIRST MOTOR burnout... guess what happened... yup.. AIRSTART! 200mph sideways at 400ft is spectacular!! Burnout happened... and the nose dropped... Raven screamed APOGEE and the charge fired... Raven then screamed OOOOH MAIN! and main charge fired..
I am lucky that i got this much of the rocket back... to be honest..

rocketober_2013-53.jpg

rocketober_2013-54.jpg

since my 10 year old daughter is into Japanese and squids... we are going for a rename.

Cluster Squid of Doom

クラスターイカの運命

Kurasutāika no unmei

Plan is to chop the bluetube as close to the unwound part of possible, and then glue an coupler in there, and add about 6" the bottom section, just enough to slot over the coupler and let the av bay coupler slot into the new bodytube.
The AV bay will be rebuilt inside, with new bulkheads etc. and will have a TeleMega in there to handle the airstarts.
Upper Airframe will be replaced with a slightly longer tube. I had a 54" main in there and it was a tight fit. This beastie gets a little heacy with a full load of two x four grain and two x 6 grain 38mm motor in the rear end.
Nosecone is staying. It has all the weight in it needed to make the thing stable. The extra length of airframe will also help with that...... and i cant lose those squiddley canards.

Needs more pictures of the damage that you're repairing!

-e

yes it does.

This is a simple repair, but I will be posting the process to others can see.

The main thing that you will notice is that the bluetube didnt zipper, it unwound.

soo... when the thing deployed, we got unwrapping of the lower bluetoob... now cut away
330_8279_resize.jpg

Internals now accessible
330_8280_resize.jpg

The fix
330_8278_resize.jpg
330_8277_resize.jpg
330_8276_resize.jpg

Back