Greasing O-rings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
I was wondering if there's a substitute for Super Lube grease for greasing O-rings.
Would something like Crisco work? Or do I just need to buy Super Lube? :grin:

Thanks,

Why don't you want to use super lube? is it a cost or availability thing?

Just buy SuperLube. Its Cheap, widely available and recommended by the manufacturer. Sure. There are a lot of alternatives. But Super Lube works great. And even the smallest 12 gram tube will last you a couple years of O-rings.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Vegetable based oils/shortening with age and heat get very sticky. If you don't get every little bit of it off when cleaning you will run into problems. I've always used Super Lube, some guys use Vasoline and other types of automotive grease. Super Lube is the "cleanest" grease doesn't stink at all.

I was wondering if there's a substitute for Super Lube grease for greasing O-rings.
Would something like Crisco work? Or do I just need to buy Super Lube? :grin:

Thanks,
Use Superlube, it can be bought at Harbor Freight if no where else.

From my Aerotech RMS assembly instruction sheet: "When all the grease that comes with the motor has been consumed, use petroleum jelly or similar grease". So I guess vasoline is an acceptable substitute.

I use the tube of stuff I bought to lube my garage door opener's screw drive. It's white. Has worked for me up to a J reload but mostly Aerotech hobbyline 24 and 29mm reloads.

I use the tube of stuff I bought to lube my garage door opener's screw drive. It's white. Has worked for me up to a J reload.
That is probably white lithium grease. Most any grease or oil will work. All you're doing is preventing the O-ring from pinching or binding when you tighten the case. Once the case is tight the O-ring does it's job as a seal. Due to the fact that the motor should only be assembled just prior to use. And that the temperature exposure is so brief. The O-ring will not be damaged buy whatever grease or oil you use.

... Most any grease or oil will work ...

Agreed. The op mentioned Crisco which I hadn't heard mentioned by anyone before. Andrew - I would see what your Dad has in the garage before you raid your Mom's kitchen. :)

In a pinch, I've used saliva before, and it worked pretty well. But I always clean my case the instant it comes out of the rocket.

From my Aerotech RMS assembly instruction sheet: "When all the grease that comes with the motor has been consumed, use petroleum jelly or similar grease". So I guess vasoline is an acceptable substitute.

I've used Vasoline for years. The problem is it turns liquid in the summer heat and it will pour/squirt out of the tube so quick and make a mess. I went to super lube only because it doesn't melt in the summer.

samb has good advice and Eric is right about why the rings need lube.

Someone on here said they used the oils/sweat off their forehead to lube the rings. Since the lube does nothing after the motor is assembled, anything that keeps the rings from pinching, binding, or getting gouged during assembly is good.

I know OP asked specifically for O-ring lube, and like mentioned anything to keep them form pinching, binding etc. will work, but then there are the liners, and threads.
Might as well get a product that does all. Once again vegetable based oils are not good.

Super Lube is $5 a tube, and a tube lasts forever unless you're doing a lot of L3 launches. My tube is probably 3 years old... and it's still half full. This is no place to be cheap... having a $200 "L" load fail because you didn't use the proper lube on the O-rings is false economy. Now, if you really want to talk about expensive lubes, the Krytox that you have to use with the O-rings in hybrids IS expensive... I bought a 1/2 oz. tube of it for $15 and I thought it was a bargain.

Krytox. That's some great stuff. Especially when your work buys a 14 oz cartridge can't use it. Someone had to "scrap" it. I have a lifetime supply now.

Krytox. That's some great stuff. Especially when your work buys a 14 oz cartridge can't use it. Someone had to "scrap" it. I have a lifetime supply now.
Unless your getting into Hypertek hybrids... Hahaha. I'm sure OP isn't ready for those yet.

OK, thanks guys for the feedback!
I don't have Super Lube, and I was just looking for an substitute, without having to spend a few extra bucks.

I'll give Vaseline a try..

Thanks,

Super Lube is $5 a tube, and a tube lasts forever unless you're doing a lot of L3 launches. My tube is probably 3 years old... and it's still half full. This is no place to be cheap... having a $200 "L" load fail because you didn't use the proper lube on the O-rings is false economy. Now, if you really want to talk about expensive lubes, the Krytox that you have to use with the O-rings in hybrids IS expensive... I bought a 1/2 oz. tube of it for $15 and I thought it was a bargain.

Back in the 80's I did medical oxygen regulator repairs. At the time, Krytox was $99 for a 1oz tube. $15 is a bargain!

I once came across an older thread on here mentioning caution against using Lithium greases in motor cases.

Anyone know if that's an antiquated position?

I remember an older engineering co-worker talking about 'honey oil' for O-rings. guess it was something different back in his days, as all I get now is ..

Definitely a subject with differing viewpoints. Krytox ? Vasoline ? body secretions ? In the face of conflicting testimony I use what's handy. What are the potential failure modes I may encounter when using the "wrong" lube ?

I used vasoline for years although I have since been told it's a bad idea. I switched to Dow 111 when I first started with Loki and still have a lifetime supply. I have heard of people using spit. All I know for sure is that you need to be careful to use a nitrous compatible lube when using hybrids. IIRC the lube isn't needed to sealing the motor, but to make sure the ring seats well and is not damaged.

I remember an older engineering co-worker talking about 'honey oil' for O-rings. guess it was something different back in his days, as all I get now is ..

I wonder if he was referring to "motor honey" like STP oil treatment.

Correct, I was thinking the same thing. 80W gear oil-type additive.

STP is a lot thicker than even 140W gear oil. I never thought about using it on o-rings, but I have Super Lube and it does me just fine. I remember back in the 90's, there was a paintball gun that recommended ATF to lube the o-rings. ATF is thin, but it worked.

Latest posts

Back