Meteor over southern Michigan and northwest Ohio around 8:15pm EST

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
Reaction score
Around 8:15 my wife and I were watching TV when something lit up the front of the house. I got up to see if someone pulled in the driveway but there was nothing there. Didn't think much of it until my sister texted me a few minutes later going "HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT METEOR?!" Kind of sad I didn't see the actual object but the light was pretty impressive.

Someone near Detroit got dash cam footage:

[video=youtube;MvFcY9rTPx8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvFcY9rTPx8[/video]

Awesome! We had a bolide over our area (Nor Cal) a few years back, showed up on radar and exploded over our reservoir. Fragments were found on a parking lot not far from my house. Amazing experiences to be sure!

We had people report seeing it outside of Fort Wayne, In as well. I'm sorry I was inside and missed out.

The fragment impact area appears to be literally within a couple hundred yards of the semi-regular meeting location for NAR section HUVARS.

Maybe somebody is sending a message? :y::y:

Is that meteor still going? My brother & I were driving home from Hobby Lobby, and we saw this huge, very visible, bright, long lasting shooting star. It looked like it was going down. It lasted for about 5 seconds.
Was this the meteor that everyone has been talking about? Or just some random shooting star?

Thanks,

The one I originally posted about happened around 8:10 pm ET on Tuesday.

There was another one the following night just before midnight, but centered more over Indiana.

Both would have been visible from much of Ohio.

Both of these were bolides...they exploded in the atmosphere and gave off a bright flash. Much more noticeable than your average meteor that simply streaks across the sky.

Back