N-1 builder kit from new manufacturer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those grid fins are nuts! Are they wood squares with a bunch of holes burned through them?

Somehow I'm imagining those snapping off upon landing rather frequently.

Nyt,
Yes, I'm concerned about how strong these pieces are. The fins themselves are some kind of thin plywood that is laser-cut even with all the holes. They are strong enough. It is the struts, which are CA reinforced cardboard that is the worry. Early on, before I hardly started, I thought maybe I could just fold them up on the side.

The instructions say to paint the inter-stage struts with 20-minute epoxy using a disposable acid brush. So, I did that today. The devcon epoxy package stated that the cure time is 30 minutes, but it was shorter than that. Half way through operation I started a new brush and then I used a toothpick and a wooden skewer to pick out epoxy clumps and wipe them on a 3x5 index card. I think that thing turned out reasonably well.

001.jpg

The Altaira Rocketry N-1 comes with a RocSim file. The file already has simulations run with different motor combinations including six D12-5's. Here are two screen captures.

RocSim N-1 capture2.jpg

RocSim N-1 capture1.jpg

With high power, lots of nose weight and some draggy little grid fins, all the going up problems should work themselves out. With the computer saying it is OK it is time to invite the political commisar to the launch!

With high power, lots of nose weight and some draggy little grid fins, all the going up problems should work themselves out. With the computer saying it is OK it is time to invite the political commisar to the launch!

Daddy,
We still need some paint, which I now have in stock, and maybe glue on some more hatches, which I have many, and make some parachute decisions. I am not going to learn Russian. I am terrible at foreign languages.

For paint you can use the surplus grey that shows up green on our high quality Soviet film and processing. No need to learn Russian. Just speak with outrageous accent and use terms like "Capitalist Pig Dogs" and you will be fine. Maybe do the count down in Russian so the photographers can save on precious High Quality Russian film.

I thought the term was "running capitalist dogs". :)

I think that is a CHICOM Phrase. I was more going for the old, black and white movie style Ruskie bad guy. The commie sentiment is still the same: The capitalist pigs have their captured Hitlerite dogs chasing after bourgeoisie scraps to fly upscale V2's on inefficient open cycle engines.

The closed cycle engines are a true triumph for Soviet Peoples!

I have started painting with Krylon Semi-Flat white. I bought this stuff at the same time that I bought Krylon Battleship Gray. I noticed that the white has light coats and that it I get close I can still see some of the printed pattern on the paper underneath. From a distance this is not noticeable. I tend to think that the Gray will hide everything.

001.jpg 002.jpg

003.jpg 004.jpg

I saw this interesting description on Rocketry Reviews today for a 1/144 paper scale N-1 launched successfully on a single 24 mm C11-3. Somewhere I saw this on TRF a few months ago, but I cannot find it now.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/paper-kit-1144-scale-n-1-jason-lenentine.html

I just found this one on TRF, but it is not the same one and there is really no conclusion or results.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?8677-N-1-Paper-Model-Conversion-Build-Thread

There was a launch of an N-1 with a single motor on this thread.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?24471-16-Jul-11-club-launch

This is the TRF thread that I was trying to find. I think that this one might correspond tot the Rocket Reviews summary:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?88132-Currell-Graphics-N-1-Rocket&highlight=currell+N-1

Last edited:
Before launching I reworked two problem areas: the first stage launch lug and the D12 motor mount tubes. I found that I needed to use a small circular file and a Dremel tool with a cone-tip to make the launch lug a smooth fit for the 1/4" x 6-foot launch rod. I had to smooth out the motor mount tubes and pull back the motor retainer clips in order to get the D12-5's to fit. I built a cradle for the N-1 from the shipping box it came in for transportation. I used e-matches that I bought from Blackjack here on TRF and tamped them into place using tissue paper. I had a choice to put the e-matches in series or parallel. Since this leads were so long, I decided to put them in parallel. The kit comes with a 12 foot kevlar shock cord for both the nose cone and the main body. There is not much room in the parachute compartment, so I cut the cord to 4 feet for the main body and 15" for the nose cone.

002.jpg 003.jpg Bob N-1.jpg

I did not feel comfortable with the 2 parachutes that came with the kit, so I used an old scratch made mylar chute that I took from another model . I had to roll the large chute tightly in order to get it to fit in the parachute compartment. The e-matches worked very good and all motors ignited at the same time.

005.jpg lift off.jpg 064a.jpg

The model rose straight at first, but them arced over. The chute did eject but did not open. I found that 4 out of 6 motors were ejected from the model. Either the chute was rolled too tight or perhaps the missing motors did not make the model fall fast enough to open the chute. There is heavy damage on one side of the first stage and damage on the stage trusses. The nose cone/escape tower is heavily damaged.

013.jpg 014.jpg

Oh no! After all that hard work. Seems like the biggest problem was the parachute not opening. Maybe thin mil nylon for the next flight after repairs?

Back