BattlePark - February 3rd & CANCELLED, 2018

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The next BattlePark launch is back to the first weekend of the month.

See the Facebook Event here.

Google Maps location is here.

See you all at the BattlePark!

Last edited:
I'm going to miss this one. I'd like to say I hope you guys get good weather but since I'm supposed to be skiing with the family that weekend, a cold snowy weekend would be more advantageous to me...

I'm hoping to make it this month. My daughter Sarah may come along because she has a new Alpha that matches my 4" diameter upscale Alpha.

I plan to be there Saturday and fly my 10 ft Formula 150 at the away cell, probably on a 6 grain 54mm K820 Blue Streak.

I was going to fly it last month but there was a mix up with my order from Wildman so I didn't have a motor. This time I have the reload in my box so I'm ready to go.

Field should be fine. Sunday not looking great. Be sure and check the web site or Facebook for the latest.

Ben

Ben

We'll definitely be going to dinner. Probably Mexican ...

Ben

The Sunday Launch is cancelled. Snow moving in. We could launch in snow, but the ceiling would only be a few hundred feet.

Besides, most of you won't bother showing up on Super Bowl Sunday! :wink:

Get those rockets up on Saturday before Ol' Man Winter comes and slaps us again.

Really ... Maybe that was the time I had Mexican the day before and opted for a hamburger.

Ben

I will be there Saturday. I plan to fly the All american, and at least 1 mid power flight with the chute release. See ya all then.

I will be there Saturday. I plan to fly the All american, and at least 1 mid power flight with the chute release. See ya all then.

Sounds good, but you might want to fly something a little higher. Winds are supposed to be 8 mph and out of the south. Toward the farm or slightly left of the farm. Might be time to follow up the MPR and JLCR with a HPR and JLCR.

I need to get things prepped but I want Big Bird up on a Tiger Tail M. Probably early, about 10:30 or 11.

I really need to get one of those JL chute releases.

Last month at MDRA I had a problem with a JLCR flight and it hit the ground before the chute opened. Not clear whether the JLCR released late or the chute just failed to open for some other reason. So tomorrow I'll be testing the JLCR by releasing a drogue at 1000 ft when I fly my DX3 on a I212.

Last month at MDRA I had a problem with a JLCR flight and it hit the ground before the chute opened. Not clear whether the JLCR released late or the chute just failed to open for some other reason. So tomorrow I'll be testing the JLCR by releasing a drogue at 1000 ft when I fly my DX3 on a I212.
Hmmmm
What did the post bounce investigation reveal?
Did the band release and if so when? ...did the chute even start to inflate?

Hmmmm
What did the post bounce investigation reveal?
Did the band release and if so when? ...did the chute even start to inflate?

As it was descending there was no indication that the JLCR released, but when it was on the ground it had released and was free of the chute and the chute was not tangled at all. So not clear why the chute didn't open.

Sounds good, but you might want to fly something a little higher. Winds are supposed to be 8 mph and out of the south. Toward the farm or slightly left of the farm. Might be time to follow up the MPR and JLCR with a HPR and JLCR.

I will fly the all American with a J394 .. that should get up there. I also have a new MPR I will fly with a G64, it is a light estes Panavia, so it should also be a nice flight. I will use the Chute release on that flight.

It was a little chilly out there today but worth the trip.

We had several member of a college team get their L1 certs today.

The Boy Scouts made several TARC test flights and BTW, they lived up to their motto "Be Prepared". They showed up with an Easy Up with four sides and a propane heater. They kept it about 55 deg. in there. There was much talk by others about duplicating that set up at other winter launches....

The Piedmont SLI team did some testing today. Not so successful, but they learned a lot from the tests.

We did have one of the Classic CTI fails today when a 38mm motor was lit without the case. The rocket was totaled but there are new stories to tell.

For a 20 deg breezy day in Virginia, I thought the launch was well attended. I saw several folks I hadn't seen is quite a while, you know who you are! All in all, I believe a good time was had by all!

The food at Poncho Villa's was excellent as usual and a good time was had by all that stayed for dinner too. The Margaritas and Dos Equis weren't too bad either!

See all ya all next month!

What were the results of the JLCR tests?

I had one flight using it and it was nominal. At least until it landed and I end up entertaining the flight line by chasing my rocket as it got dragged across the corn stubble.

It was a little chilly out there today but worth the trip.
We had several member of a college team get their L1 certs today.
The Boy Scouts made several TARC test flights and BTW, they lived up to their motto "Be Prepared". They showed up with an Easy Up with four sides and a propane heater. They kept it about 55 deg. in there. There was much talk by others about duplicating that set up at other winter launches....
The Piedmont SLI team did some testing today. Not so successful, but they learned a lot from the tests.
We did have one of the Classic CTI fails today when a 38mm motor was lit without the case. The rocket was totaled but there are new stories to tell.
For a 20 deg breezy day in Virginia, I thought the launch was well attended. I saw several folks I hadn't seen is quite a while, you know who you are! All in all, I believe a good time was had by all!
The food at Poncho Villa's was excellent as usual and a good time was had by all that stayed for dinner too. The Margaritas and Dos Equis weren't too bad either!
See all ya all next month!

It was a tad cold, but the late afternoon bonfire provided by the Level 2 attempt was comfy. Names are omitted to protect the innocent victims of Mr. Murphy.
Congratulations to all the successes , and good luck to all the graduates of the school of hard knocks today.
Keep at it.

Back