Surely its coincidence

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[video=youtube;KM2K7sV-K74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74[/video]

Sadly it's back up and they didn't fix it. Still a pile of plastic crap.

Some of it is plastic crap as you would say.....but a lot of it isn't. Enough of the high power ego....almost all of the folks who fly rockets of all types owe a nod off respect to a beginning in the hobby with an Estes kit.

Really?

Some of Estes skill-4/5 level rockets are fantastically elaborate, and way more imaginative than anything commercially available from the top HP vendors:
https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/kits/skill-5

I'm building the Shuttle 7246 right now, and it's offering completely different and enjoyable challenges than wiring yet another avoinics bay into yet another 3/4FNC HP rocket:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...uttle-and-Stack)&highlight=estes+shuttle+7246

YMMV,
a

Guys, don't give Dave a hard time. He has read and memorized the official book of what makes for a good and bad rocket. My kids hang their heads in shame every time they walk to the pads with an Estes rocket, as do I.

Okay, I'm off to go look at the big pile of fiberglass crap on Madcow.

Guys, don't give Dave a hard time. He has read and memorized the official book of what makes for a good and bad rocket. My kids hang their heads in shame every time they walk to the pads with an Estes rocket, as do I.

Okay, I'm off to go look at the big pile of fiberglass crap on Madcow.

No way, What makes a rocket a "good rocket or bad rocket" is the person who built it. I and others have nothing to prove when I go to the pad and load my Estes kit or my best Mac Performance project. To bad, you are missing out. It is not to hard to slather good epoxy on a fiberglass kit with pre-slotted tubes and pre cut and beveled fins. Come on, I dont remember anyone asking what Dave thought of Estes anyway. This thread is not about what people think of Estes. Some of us like Estes kits and it was an Estes kit that got me to the point where I am doing EX, and larger projects that go over mile high. But...I still like to launch an Estes kit and dont care what the "Hard-on-High Power-egos" think. This kind of reminds me of a scene in a movie...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmzBrI5FQk

No way, What makes a rocket a "good rocket or bad rocket" is the person who built it. I and others have nothing to prove when I go to the pad and load my Estes kit or my best Mac Performance project. To bad, you are missing out. It is not to hard to slather good epoxy on a fiberglass kit with pre-slotted tubes and pre cut and beveled fins. Come on, I dont remember anyone asking what Dave thought of Estes anyway. This thread is not about what people think of Estes. Some of us like Estes kits and it was an Estes kit that got me to the point where I am doing EX, and larger projects that go over mile high. But...I still like to launch an Estes kit and dont care what the "Hard-on-High Power-egos" think. This kind of reminds me of a scene in a movie...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmzBrI5FQk

Dude, you completely missed my sarcasm. I am on your side.

Dude, you completely missed my sarcasm. I am on your side.

Ha! - Yea...okay...well, I said I liked Estes Kits...I never said I was smart..may bad! Its kind of a button for me. As many folks START in low power/Estes and progress to high power (as we know). No Estes could mean fewer folks in high power down the road....Anyway...I know I am lost on sarcasm at times....oops.

In my opinion what makes a model rocket, plane, or even a rental trainer airplane not a pile of crap is the way it flies not the way it looks or how hard it is to assemble.

Every flight instructor gave me sh*t for picking a poor old well used Cessna 152 tailed as N48400. Except the flight instructors with real excellent skill levels, because they valued a great flying plane no matter what it looked like. It had ripped up seats, bug splats, slight dents, and even a few rust or oil stains. Despite the hideous looks, this plane was very well maintained, offered no reliability issues, and even trimmed very nicely for pilots. Tower would often congratulate the airmanship displayed as approaches were mostly silky smooth with slight puff of smoke as the tires graciously kissed asphalt from the well tracking well natured airframe. Andrea would keep a bottle of lipstick from tipping over lid open, in flight, it was that balanced of an airplane. It had old gauges but they were calibrated with little drifting issues, because rarely others wanted to fly it let alone spin it by how bad it looked. I solo'd in it. And people called this one that flew nice the pile of crap, oh how offended I got. You could feel it flew wherever it was commanded versus the other wandered a lot more

There was a supposedly nicer Cessna 152 N184AK, it was newer, had brand new paint, new interiors, fancy modern radios, upgrades, instructors would fight over who flew it, but you could take your hands off the controls and it would literally wander left consistently hard where the other Cessna of same exact type never showed that bad habit once trimmed. It even had nasty failures in maintenance logs. And the thing about Cessna trainers is there isn't a trim wheel in all directions as they were $15,000-$45,000 used piles of crap compared to a nice Mooney or Baron costing more than houses. So naturally I preferred the "pile of crap" labeled airplane that looked like crap and flew where I pointed it versus the polished turd that flew like sh*t consistently. Some of the other pilots shared my views and we called this one really bad names.

If you ever wanted to rent a Cessna. Don't pick the ones that were used a in bunch of spins or had struts used by heavy guys or gals as an improvised fuel ladder or it's just not going to trim up well and behave.
Sorry its hard for me to explain planes to many that never flew. It's like comparing a non-lemon looks like turd car that handles like a tight sports car to an actual lemon car that looks flawless.

Likewise Estes Rockets are what you cut your teeth on in rocketry. They offer great flight characteristics for the money spent as long as your not in a snit about performance stats or quality of injection moldings.
An Estes pile of crap plastic kit is economical and obviously it displays very stable flight characteristics and the design has a bit of stability in it. Yah its not MAC, Madcow, or Wildman but for the Estes price you get a box of em' and a few cases of motors surely to put a smile on someone's face. It's a pretty darn well designed pile of crap and I don't think Estes deserves that kind of a name as crap. I see the high power types cloning the old estes kits. Funny that. They must've liked the way that one kit flew. LOL...

Someone else's crap labeled item is another person's diamond in the rough. I thought pilots were picky and bad about calling blah product crap. Then I met rocketeers and there's an opinion to every rocket product.

Andrew, well said. I can say the same thing for a few cars I've owned (including a POS we currently own, which has less than 100K km)

And this is one thing that bugs the @#$%^ outta me, that people like / want pretty things, and think pretty / $$$ = reliable, easy, safe, sporty, etc...

It's not what you have, but how you use it..

Dave,,
I'd like to thank you..
In my nativity I really wasn't sure what the exact definition of a "Troll" was...

You have shown me the light,, lol..
And at the same time,,
I got a chuckle and a half off of this thread...

Thank you,,lol..

Teddy

I usually try to refrain from being the grammar police, but since Christmas is over, I think you meant naiveté and not nativity.

Dave,,
I'd like to thank you..
In my nativity I really wasn't sure what the exact definition of a "Troll" was...

You have shown me the light,, lol..
And at the same time,,
I got a chuckle and a half off of this thread...

Thank you,,lol..

Teddy

You can't throw $20-40 dollars as far away as an Estes climbs towards sky. The might and thunderous roar of two Newton seconds of specific impulse pushing a pile of plastic crap further than two football fields high. Then the sinking feeling of the wind drifting the rocket right into the canopy of tallest tree. Losing a Estes to a tree is a lot better than losing an HPR. Some things never change. Some rockets will find the tallest tree to land on despite level or specific impulse rating.

Somebody or teams of dorks went through a lot of effort to 3D model those fin cans and nosecones on every Estes model for injection molding. Only for it to hit a tree eventually. And someone else made a lot of money off the silly idea.

The Science Police will not be happy with your incorrect use of "Specific Impulse".

The units of Specific Impulse are "seconds".

"Total Impulse" would be "Newton-seconds".

You can't throw $20-40 dollars as far away as an Estes climbs towards sky. The might and thunderous roar of two Newton seconds of specific impulse pushing a pile of plastic crap further than two football fields high. Then the sinking feeling of the wind drifting the rocket right into the canopy of tallest tree. Losing a Estes to a tree is a lot better than losing an HPR. Some things never change. Some rockets will find the tallest tree to land on despite level or specific impulse rating.

I usually try to refrain from being the grammar police, but since Christmas is over, I think you meant naiveté and not nativity.

That's odd,,
I don't believe I've EVER seen you grammar police a post..
And I definitely have never seen you quot a post of mine..

I trust all is well John ??

Teddy

The Science Police will not be happy with your incorrect use of "Specific Impulse".

The units of Specific Impulse are "seconds".

"Total Impulse" would be "Newton-seconds".

Technically, if we're being science-police-y...

Isp or specific impulse is much better represented in meters per second rather than seconds- it's otherwise known as the nozzle exit velocity and tends to be a property of the propellant +/- a few m/s. This makes everything make a lot more sense math-wise- Isp is just impulse (N-s) divided by propellant mass (kg). So a motor with 40 N-s and 20g (0.02kg) of propellant has an Isp of 40/0.02 = 2km/s (mid-high composite motor). Isp in seconds is the same, just divided by Earth's gravity- kinda silly if you ask me.

It also makes the "rocket equation" much easier- but that only really applies to spacecraft, not model rockets.

That's odd,,
I don't believe I've EVER seen you grammar police a post..
And I definitely have never seen you quot a post of mine..

I trust all is well John ??

Teddy

I’m good. “Nativity” just falls within my area of expertise ‘ya know?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Just keep in mind that spell-check frequently replaces misspelled words with the wrong word. I used to work for a guy whose last named was Slezak. If I wasn't careful, his name ended up as "Sleazy" in my e-mails. :facepalm:

Just keep in mind that spell-check frequently replaces misspelled words with the wrong word. I used to work for a guy whose last named was Slezak. If I wasn't careful, his name ended up as "Sleazy" in my e-mails. :facepalm:

I'm well aware. At my last place of employment, if we were going to be out of the building for a while, we would email other departments about our whereabouts. But spell check usually wanted to convert "whereabouts" to "whale boats."

I'm well aware. At my last place of employment, if we were going to be out of the building for a while, we would email other departments about our whereabouts. But spell check usually wanted to convert "whereabouts" to "whale boats."

Hilarious

"Have you heard anything about Bob's whale boats?"

"No, I thought Bob hated water...."

Back