What kind of person would damage someone else's rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if the stranger ended up liking rockets? That would be the irony. At least you would make a point of contact incase anymore launches went bad and found a way inside that community. You would be seen as hobbyists hopefully and not something that people would want to complain about.

Or use a vent hole, smaller parachute, reef the chute or device to delay full deployment.

Do you limit contact info to reduce liabilities incase the rocket damaged property unintentionally? Or incase if a nutcase Chunks the rocket into valuable objects then calls contact info and claim damages while you weren't there to see it land? I could see this getting out of hand quickly with the wrong kind of person. I understand all the NAR/TRA flyer events carry insurance for mishaps. But if it wasn't launched at a NAR/TRA event I don't want to think of what could legally happen on a bad day. I'm guessing a small claims court or hospital bill at worst. I never thought of that as launching a LPR as a kid. Guessing flyer assumes the liabilities outside of TRA/NAR sanctioned events.

I was wondering why OP didn't use a long streamer but maybe model was too heavy.

I had already stated it's not that much of a concern as to the loss as well as having personal info being able to be picked up by total strangers is NOT what I want made available. My hobbies are all disposable to an extent, easy come, easy go. Never even bothered adding personal info in my 1/9th scale RC B-17G. Sold the first and am building a second one now. I can understand for some that the price eventually brings a concern for retrieval. Just be aware of the circumstances under which you implement certain options of doing so. You've made some compelling points as to how to deal with this and I feel you've done well by genuinely meaning well. Good on you Andrew.

Mail a five dollar bill to the residence with a thank you note. Coals of kindness.

Then put a few rocks through his windows at night a few weeks later after you have enough time to construct a decent alibi.

There is research showing those with higher incomes have more of an "entitlement" and "narcissistic" mentality than those with lower incomes. Just one example: https://healthland.time.com/2013/08/20/wealthy-selfies-how-being-rich-increases-narcissism/

If anything someone living in a $500k+ house is probably more likely to smash your $15 rocket out of spite than someone living in a $50k house.

Just an anecdote but a few months ago my Estes Ascender drifted onto neighboring property. I went over to see the owner and in spite of being your stereotypical "trailer trash" he eagerly gave me permission to search his property and even came out to give me an extra set of eyeballs. He was a really swell guy who was genuinely interested in what I was up to.

Mail a five dollar bill to the residence with a thank you note. Coals of kindness.

Then put a few rocks through his windows at night a few weeks later after you have enough time to construct a decent alibi.

And all over a $15.00 model.

And all over a $15.00 model.

Tort case! The model was a gift and had sentimental value, thereby the destruction of said property caused enormous emotional pain and suffering, intentionally inflicted emotional distress, and most importantly, as a matter of principle. I'll keep the case away from a jury for $15k.

Tort case! The model was a gift and had sentimental value, thereby the destruction of said property caused enormous emotional pain and suffering, intentionally inflicted emotional distress, and most importantly, as a matter of principle. I'll keep the case away from a jury for $15k.

You're still assuming this home owner was solely responsible based on circumstantial evidence yet you promote throwing rocks through his windows giving HIM valid reason to drag the perpetrator through court. Chances are reasonable he has camera surveillance too.

You're still assuming this home owner was solely responsible based on circumstantial evidence yet you promote throwing rocks through his windows giving HIM valid reason to drag the perpetrator through court. Chances are reasonable he has camera surveillance too.

Relax, this whole thread is a joke. I'm merely adding entertainment value. OP probably spent more on cigarettes last week than he did on his rocket. S6 said it best, "a whole lot of wow in this thread" :)

Back