What kind of person would damage someone else's rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whos to say the individual didnt back out of their garage, over the rocket, and then saw it. Alot of people here are attributing the damage to malice, I dont think it was, maybe it landed in the street go run over and the chute dragged it to wherever it was picked up.

Whos to say the individual didnt back out of their garage, over the rocket, and then saw it. Alot of people here are attributing the damage to malice, I dont think it was, maybe it landed in the street go run over and the chute dragged it to wherever it was picked up.
I hope you are right. Your post reminds of something -- when we found the rocket in the driveway, the chute and shock cord had been stuffed into the rocket. That must have been done by the person who found it.

well...you know where he lives.... and a gallon of gas is fairly cheap.... ;)

The problem with any sort of retribution is that the recipient has the phone number of the OP, and likely knows where and when the launches happen. A $15 rocket isn't worth that kind of hassle. Especially if it wasn't done out of malice.

A Jolly Logic Chute Release is an expensive proposition initially but saves time, energy, hassle, and most importantly rockets.

I no longer fly without one.

Sorry this happened to you. Intentional or not, sounds not an unpleasant souls found it, and his unpleasantness doesn't stop at rocketry. :(

I still think it was malicious. The way the individual laughed at the reward bodes well for the noxious outcome. Plus, if a courteous person actually did run over the rocket why not point that out when the contact call is made? I think the jerk
Stomped on the nosecone, tossed it out there and left. Most good people would call the rocket owner and not demand a reward. Especially if there was no damage involved to property, a modroc is less likely to cause harm. Kurt

Must be DEED RESTRICTED community with an awesome HOA , and no I wouldnt be good for the military - yes I have lived in an HOA neighborhood and yes
I probably moved due to said HOA and a guy like you for a neighbor :facepalm:

You echo my sentiments. It's why I did move into one.

Retribution in any form is inappropriate. Replace the cone, fix the rocket, live a happy life instead of doing something illegal. House probably had cams anyway.

Don't do anything stupid. Malicious vandalism is just that stupid. Get a new nose cone rebuild the rocket and go on with life.

Then I Hazard a guess that you just fly the larger Rockets then? Kurt
I have a large fleet of rockets. The JLCR will fit easily in a 2.6” diameter tube. May also fit in a 2.2” tube but my WM Jart is still in progress so I can’t say for sure it will work properly.

Not terribly worried about the loss of a BT-60 and under rocket. Fly the field, as the saying goes.

I have a large fleet of rockets. The JLCR will fit easily in a 2.6” diameter tube. May also fit in a 2.2” tube but my WM Jart is still in progress so I can’t say for sure it will work properly.

Not terribly worried about the loss of a BT-60 and under rocket. Fly the field, as the saying goes.
The JLCR will fit a BT60/38mm, I fly one in my Arapahoe-E and Estes Nike Smoke often.

The JLCR will fit a BT60/38mm, I fly one in my Arapahoe-E and Estes Nike Smoke often.
Thanks for weighing in, Rich. Haven’t tried a BT-60 yet due to general lack of launches here in Cali due to drought AND rain. Seriously. Fields are too dry until the rains come and then we get rained out. Been to three launches in the last year.and a half.

Thanks for weighing in, Rich. Haven’t tried a BT-60 yet due to general lack of launches here in Cali due to drought AND rain. Seriously. Fields are too dry until the rains come and then we get rained out. Been to three launches in the last year.and a half.

Just make sure the unit moves smoothly in the tube, and the chute bundle will be kind of long and thin due to the thickness of the JLCR, of course different chutes pack differently. My chutes for those two rocket are a 12" and a 18" .75oz thin mill nylon (kite fabric) 6 gore 25% hemispherical chute (patterns using the generator by Scott Bryce from scottbryce.com).

Sorry for the derailment, now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Last edited:
The kind of person with personality that intentionally damages a rocket is the same kind of disrespectful personality person that doesn't value the lives or properties of others. I don't think money was a root cause but I'd blame personality of that person. No respect. No moral guidance. No emotional care for others well being or respect. No sympathy. I call this a personality flaw because logic fails to describe how mean and evil some people in life you will meet on dark days really are. And evil people share a spiteful hate that I have only seen once elsewhere of a person literally shooting another unarmed person pleading for life in the face then not even taking money all over a verbal argument of all things. You are lucky the situation didn't end worse. That person you met in life was extorting you by demanding money then turned your troubles into a sick comedy by bullying you. You are the better person for not making the situation worse than it already was.

Most modest people with morals would not have harmed a harmless rocket. I'd fly rockets elsewhere than near that person.

My recommendation is always find family friends or other friends that would have larger land plots out in the rural areas. Generally if a good natured person is nice enough to trust you with a hunting/fishing license, written permission, and a firearm, bow, or fishing pole that person may also trust you with any R/C or rocketry activities on short notice provided you leave the land like you found it. Even complete strangers you could win over with several fishing trips etc on their properties as you proved to them you used the land responsibly. Some people were easier to talk with about hunting or fishing than starting rocketry or even R/C airplanes because they weren't as familiar with other hobbies which really scared them at first. But once you say it's a foam glider that shatters or contains very low metal pieces even strangers became more open to rocketry etc. Then you'd have enough land area to not worry about creeps not returning your rocket or planes in often crowded suburb areas.

In my limited experience at this, the rural types dislike ATV activities the most as ATV's used irresponsibly (full throttle burnouts on gravel pads) would oftentimes do way more harm to land or even gravel driveways than a hunter or rocketeer could by tromping over fields on foot.

Fields are too dry until the rains come and then we get rained out. Been to three launches in the last year.and a half.

Could you get a burn permit on the dry days with a phone call local fire department on burning scrap wood? Or was it too dry for that? Perhaps someone found it smoldering and panic set in, but my opinion without being there is this sounds malicious. If it's too dry to burn something safely you might want to reconsider your flying days.

He said OK and gave me his address. .

The internet can be a WHOLE Lotta fun with someones address... Craig's list back page... Make sure his wife answers the door... Balloons with its a boy tied to the door ? Nice fake positive test result for an STD mailed to the home...

Yeah... Intentionally being a loser destroying someones rocket is out of bounds...

I however, sometimes like to play the games idiots play... to bad they don't specify any rules.

The internet can be a WHOLE Lotta fun with someones address... Craig's list back page... Make sure his wife answers the door... Balloons with its a boy tied to the door ? Nice fake positive test result for an STD mailed to the home...

Yeah... Intentionally being a loser destroying someones rocket is out of bounds...

I however, sometimes like to play the games idiots play... to bad they don't specify any rules.

Yeah, I'll bet having all that stuff done to him would turn him into a more pleasant person.

[COLOR=#000000 said:
CPUTommy ]

[/COLOR]

Yeah, I'll bet having all that stuff done to him would turn him into a more pleasant person.

I don't believe the guy's emotional growth and spiritual fulfillment is our top priority here...

[video=youtube;UqZ9r74y4uc]https://youtu.be/UqZ9r74y4uc[/video]

UqZ9r74y4uc

a

Last edited:

Could send an invite to a local HPR launch, a rockets magazine, and or information about NAR/TRA. If the guy is interested I'd wager he didn't destroy it intentionally. If guy is cynical and cruel well there's your confirmation of malice. A really mean person wouldn't have called the number at all. At best the guy could learn more about rockets and how not to ruin others fun. Without being there it's hard to know what for certain happened.

So far, this is all circumstantial evidence based on ONE side. No one has heard from the other side as to what has transpired. In spite of this, people are extremely willing to put a noose around someone's neck without facts. All this over a $15.00 rocket to boot. For me personally, I've yet to put any personal info in or on any model rocket of mine. For one, I just don't care much if I lose it, there's more to build and fly, and another is I have NO idea what kind of person will find it. It could be a very honest person, or some rancid, homicidal nutcase. I don't know that. If we have a difficult time throwing personal info out on the internet, why would we do so on a retrievable model? It has already been mentioned to simply pick up the pieces as it were and just carry on. I am in full agreement here.

What if the stranger ended up liking rockets? That would be the irony. At least you would make a point of contact incase anymore launches went bad and found a way inside that community. You would be seen as hobbyists hopefully and not something that people would want to complain about.

Back