Black Aero, EggFinder LCD Case V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLKKROW

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am releasing the upgraded version of my popular EggFinder LCD case. You can now purchase it on www.blackaero.com for a discounted price of $20.00, plus shipping. This sale will end on 01/31/2018 and then the Case will be sold for $25.00 plus shipping, so buy it now!

Version 2.0 Changelog:

• Printed using PLA+, higher print temperature, stronger material over PLA.
  • Increased wall size, to increase strength.
  • Handle has a 30% increase in volume, to allow for a bigger battery.
  • One piece handle.
  • Tighter tolerances for better weather sealing.
  • Attachment points for the GPS and Bluetooth accessories.
  • Assembly uses screws and nuts instead of threading into plastic feet.
  • Many more.

[video=youtube;DFNcJYabdJw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNcJYabdJw&t[/video]

P1210801.jpg

P1210815.jpg

P1210827.jpg

P1210835.jpg

P1210842.jpg

P1210852.jpg

P1210870.jpg

Nice.
I really butchered my box cutting the holes, I may have to opt for one of these. The switches..one is power but what is the other?

Nice.
I really butchered my box cutting the holes, I may have to opt for one of these. The switches..one is power but what is the other?

The other switch is a momentary switch, it is used to navigate through menu's, change channels, etc.

Is there room for the GPS chip and Bluetooth board and switch for the backlight. I assume the rocker is for power and the momentary is for programming?

Sorry. My internet at home is very limited. I haven't been able to watch the video. But you can put a backlight switch on it as well?

Sorry. My internet at home is very limited. I haven't been able to watch the video. But you can put a backlight switch on it as well?

I designed it for basic use to accommodate the vast majority of individuals, so there are only two places for a switch. However, I have seen people drill a hole in the case for an additional switch.

Ordered one, I should have mine complete in a week or so. I am also interested in seeing if I can get a micro switch installed for the backlight. Can'twait, it looks awesome!

I will reply to this to ensure everyone knows, but yes it does have space for the GPS module and Bluetooth.

Nice case, glad you came out with v2 that has room for GPS chip.

Any chance of the case coming in the old, brighter, colors?
Grey will suffice, but red/yellow will be easier to find once (inevitably) misplaced during a long launch day, or when packing for home ...

a

gps does fit in version one... i put it at bluetooth location- fits fine. Ordered version 2 for my second eggfinder!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Nice case, glad you came out with v2 that has room for GPS chip.

Any chance of the case coming in the old, brighter, colors?
Grey will suffice, but red/yellow will be easier to find once (inevitably) misplaced during a long launch day, or when packing for home ...

a

In order to decrease the cost of the case, I decided to simplify the color choice to one. This is why it is only being sold in gray.

IMG_20171129_193429.jpglcd2bt.jpgcharge&batt.jpgchargetail.jpglcd2openback.jpg

Is the internal size relatively the same so I can do that backlight switch on the right side of some of the photos? If so, I'll order one as I
like the beefier handle attachment. The left photo was with the local GPS unit installed on double-stick servo tape and the 4 photos on the right were
from earlier iterations. Kurt

Last edited:
View attachment 336084View attachment 336085View attachment 336086View attachment 336087View attachment 336088

Is the internal size relatively the same so I can do that backlight switch on the right side of some of the photos? If so, I'll order one as I
like the beefier handle attachment. The left photo was with the local GPS unit installed on double-stick servo tape and the 4 photos on the right were
from earlier iterations. Kurt

The inside dimensions are similar, you should be able to add a switch for a back light if you wish. Although you may need a smaller switch or orient it in a different way.

I ordered one last night. Any suggestions on what battery will fit well in the handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I want to thank all of you for your support!

Before releasing the product, I printed a surplus of units and all of those are sold with more orders coming in. Please understand your order may be delayed, and I can assure you my printers are working all day.

When this thread came out last week, I realized that I had dropped the ball on a project that Kyle had sent me. I got a prototype of this case and was supposed to build a GPS module and install it. I did manage to get the LCD RX installed and sent my comments to him shortly after I got the case, but never finished up the project. Yesterday I built the GPS module in about 15 min. and Sharon and I spent about 1 hr. trying to update the firmware on my LCD RX. We finally rebooted my old laptop, called Cris E. and got that done. So, here are my comments on this new casing.

Just finished slipping my old RX into your new casing. Very impressed with this new version. Really like how you reversed the long screws, makes assembly much easier. The imbedded nuts are an excellent upgrade, making the unit more durable. Larger handle not only allows for a larger battery, but also adds more beef for the screws to tighten down into. I went from a 950 Mah to a 1300 Mah battery, what's the largest you have been able to fit in there?
Two little glitches you should be aware of, the thicker case made installing the button switch more difficult. I had to go without the lock washer on the button that I had, just not enough threads on my switch. Not sure if it is the original switch that you provided with the first version.

I installed the GPS module last night, flipping it over and drilling a hole in the back plate so I could see the l.e.d. that tells me it's locked. I suppose you could do the same with the bluetooth module, but I think that would require you to remove the pins and hard solder the wires to it. In the process of installing the GPS, I managed to torque off one of the threaded posts. A small wood screw fixed that, and I added a little plastic glue to the tiny nuts on the backplate to keep them in place when opening the case.
I'm sure you could add a larger battery to the handle, the 1300 is just what I had in my stash.
My LCD RX is an older version, so I soldered the connections to the GPS. Here are some pic's showing the completed project:
009.jpg

I added a lanyard to the belt clip, it has a slot in the top that makes this easy. Now I have positive retention and I can use the belt clip to my shirt to keep it from swinging around.
011.jpg

My apologies to Kyle for taking so long to finish this, if you saw my workbench you would understand.
I will be seeing Cris E. at the Holtville Havoc launch in Calif. the first weekend of March. I'm gonna pick up a couple more GPS modules and probably a few more Eggfinder TX's. I still have an unbuilt LCD RX, so I can make one of these for Sharon. The other GPS module goes to Kyle, for providing me with this most excellent housing.

Just a reminder, there are a few more days left until the sale ends. All orders placed before today have been shipped.

I got my v2 last week and mounted the gear in it. I really liked the original but version 2 is a substantial upgrade. Beefier material plus mounts for the GPS and BT modules. I like the extra handle space as well. Thanks for putting out a wonderful product, Kyle.

I got mine assembled and was able to use it this past weekend. Wow, what an upgrade from the big non-ergonomic black box I have been using!

I will push the sale end date to February 3rd.

This will give everyone, one more chance to get it before the price increases.

Hi Kyle,

I received mine today, it arrived undamaged...thanks!

I am wondering if others have opted to solder the BT module wires in place where the header pins are, in an effort to reduce the footprint and allow better clearance (Clarence)? Sorry I had to add the last part as it just popped into my head...darn movies from the 80s.

Back