LUNAR is on for December 13

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
The LUNAR Snow Ranch launch is on tomorrow. However, it will be a low/mid power launch. 3.3lbs and 80ns max. I'll be there!

I'll be sitting this one out, only my Go Devil 38 is <3.3 lbs and I don't have any motors that qualify. So I'll take the long weekend to build and look forward to next weekend's TCC launch. Looks like it should be a nice day though, have fun!

If BAR is there (I haven't heard yet), you could buy a motor on site.

December 13th?? I'll be there. But where is this 80N limit coming from? We should start calling them "Class 1" or "Class 2" launches. There appear to be several H motors that fall into "Class 1" FAR 101

And I hope BAR Mike will be there.

They're currently discussing that on Facebook. Looks like it might be just 1500g rocket weight limit, and 135g propellant weight.

They're currently discussing that on Facebook. Looks like it might be just 1500g rocket weight limit, and 135g propellant weight.
Yes, I'm following along. Some smaller H flights would be nice as well.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I agree. Some of the 29mm H motors have less than 135g of propellant.

One small correction: 125 grams of propellant.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=14:2.0.1.3.15#se14.2.101_123

§101.22 Definitions.
The following definitions apply to this subpart:

(a) Class 1—Model Rocket means an amateur rocket that:

(1) Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;

(2) Uses a slow-burning propellant;

(3) Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;

(4) Contains no substantial metal parts; and

(5) Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.

(b) Class 2—High-Power Rocket means an amateur rocket other than a model rocket that is propelled by a motor or motors having a combined total impulse of 40,960 Newton-seconds (9,208 pound-seconds) or less.

(c) Class 3—Advanced High-Power Rocket means an amateur rocket other than a model rocket or high-power rocket.

I'm still waiting for official word from Tony on Facebook.

Tony confirmed it. 1500g max rocket weight, 125g propellant weight.

Anything from BAR? With ROC rained out i had hoped he would show. Of course i could just throw the E18W in my ACME spitfire for its first flight, but I'd rather buy something a little more reasonable.

I just called Mike at BAR, and he still doesn't know for sure if he'll be there. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance he'll show.

Very nice launch today, nice to see so many folks out there. Sometimes it's nice to go out and just fly, no high power flight stress. Flew the heck out of an ACME Spitfire C11, D12, swmbo vetoed the E18w) and a Skypyrates Punisher with an Eggfinder mini on an F52 for its first flight.

Last edited:
Great pictures. What motor did you fly the Raptor on. I just finished building one. I plan on using a JLCR for the 1st flight.

The Rapton flew on a G79-10W. That was about a second to much delay. StrattologgerCF said it went to 1359'. I was simming 1900'.

It looked like thrust build up was slow on launch and I never heard apogee or motor backup. Sounded like two pops at main deploy.

The flight graph looks weird this time. Anyone know what's up with alt drop right at apogee? And the velocity is all messed up.

0114181841.jpg0114181841a.jpg0114181841b.jpg0113181222.jpg

That inverted spike at apogee (and another little one at main deployment) is likely a leak of ejection charge pressure into your avbay. That momentary increase in pressure looks to the altimeter like a drop in altitude.

Since velocity is just a calculated result using the altitude data over time, an error in one produces an error in the other.

Take a close look at the avbay bulkheads and their fit, and any holes through which you pass wire or hardware, and seal it up. Fun-tack or sticky-tack, the sticky putty used to put posters on the wall is a good temporary seal around wires and bulkhead holes that you can't permanently seal by other means (epoxy, RTV, etc.).

Mark

Thats how I set it up. Its a stepped G10 bulkplate from Madcow. No sealant between bulkhead and coupler tube. Put putty on both sides. 0114181929.jpg

Back