What should I do with this nosecone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
So I found this last year while going for a swim in the swamp at Bong. It’s a 4” nose cone, most likely LOC? Or Madcow?

Ideally I’d like for it to get back to its original owner. Not sure they’d want it though- it doesn’t smell anymore, but has taken on a “unique” patina.

So-I guess I should build something with it. My thought is to get some 4” loc tube and scratch build something. 54mm and DD

What do you think? Should I be doing something different?

IMG_2048.jpg

When I saw the thread I was secretly hoping it would be a 5" nose cone. All that would be good for is sending to me. :)

Upscale a PML MR-1.

4" transition to 3" with a 54mm hole...maybe tube fins. I'm slowly collecting parts for such a thing, only 3" to 54mm, minimum diameter with tube fins. To fly on 1 grain 54s, maybe 2 grain. So far I have the nose cone. LOL

Chop up your ugliest tube into fins and run a coffee can k through it. This is probably the worst idea maybe ever.

That's pretty much the complete opposite of Quake's suggestion, so If he averages them out, it'll be a normal boring rocket!

Maybe I should just turn it into a funny hat?

Whatever you decide to build should be completely from other recycled parts from other rockets. Frankenstein it.

Whatever you decide to build should be completely from other recycled parts from other rockets. Frankenstein it.

So what you're saying is I need to go for another swim in the swamp to find parts? :)

Last time I went there, I found this nosecone, a rocket I lost 2 years beforehand, and CZTeacherman's rocket- which is what I went originally to find.

Not sure swamp diving for cardboard tubes, plywood fins, or electrics is a good idea. Maybe a nasty nylon chute and harness will turn up.

Not sure swamp diving for cardboard tubes, plywood fins, or electrics is a good idea.

When I found the nosecone, it had about 8" of cardboard tube attached to it. The tube "dripped off" after about 5 minutes of me carrying it. At least I got the nose cone!

When I found the nosecone, it had about 8" of cardboard tube attached to it. The tube "dripped off" after about 5 minutes of me carrying it. At least I got the nose cone!

Sounds about right. Don't have swamps, but waiting for them to rot out of a tree is almost as bad.

Back