Recall of AT M1350 motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
As some of you may know from my other thread in this forum, just this morning I finished building an Aerotech M1350 motor for my L3 test. Just a couple of hours later, I saw this:
Thursday, August 3, 2017
Aerotech M1350 DMS recall
The fiberglass casings were wound incorrectly and can fail during operation.
Launch organizers should not allow any M1350W DMS motors to be flown with lot codes ending in either a 6 or 7 (2016)(2017). This does affect earlier versions with lot codes ending in 5 (2015).

Fliers possessing the impacted M1350 DMS motors should contact their motor dealer or Aerotech for further instructions.
https://www.motorcato.org/

My motor is 09071602. I assume this means 9/17/16 and the motor is subject to the recall? What a bummer, wish I had seen this yesterday.

M1350.jpg

DMS haven't been around for than than 2-3 years

Yep, I think 3 or 4 years, I think OP is screwed, damned if I know how to read the date codes though even after looking at the examples, still can't figure it out. I don't see a 5 in the OP's code looks like 6 only= BAD NEWS.

DMS haven't been around for than than 2-3 years

Agreed. Though the motorcato.org report says to check the last digit, I do not believe these are from a stash of motors made 15+ years ago.

Wildman had long delays getting the M1350 from Aerotech to fulfill BS orders placed in Nov 2016, which is further anecdotal evidence that these motors aren't 15 years old.

Single use & reloads use different code. I don't know what code is for disposable .

But looking at it ...appears same as reload which would be...09-07-2016 batch 2

100946 single use would be 04-09-2016 YMDDMY

Yep, I think 3 or 4 years, I think OP is screwed, damned if I know how to read the date codes though even after looking at the examples, still can't figure it out. I don't see a 5 in the OP's code looks like 6 only= BAD NEWS.

It would appear that the DMS lot codes align with how AT creates numbers for reloads - MM/DD/YY/BatchRun#.

Agreed. Though the motorcato.org report says to check the last digit, I do not believe these are from a stash of motors made 15+ years ago.

Wildman had long delays getting the M1350 from Aerotech to fulfill BS orders placed in Nov 2016, which is further anecdotal evidence that these motors aren't 15 years old.

Speaking of BS, lots of BS info out there on how to read date codes.

Thrust curve shows first entry in 2014.

So ya had a free test build. Contact vendor get a new one, should be easy build this time!
Good luck on your L-3 flight!

Jim is correct, this motor was just certified in 2014.

I'm awaiting info from my vendor and AT. The instruction to dealers was to "return the M1350W case assemblies (nozzle, case & liner) you currently have to AeroTech/RCS as soon as possible. Do not sell any of the M1350Ws until the case assemblies have been replaced." The same number (09071602) is on both propellant boxes and there is no number on the casing. So it is possible my vendor sold me a motor with casings that have been replaced.

Last edited:
When did you get that motor from the vendor? If you got it after August 3, I'd guess it is good to fly. It seems unlikely that your vendor sold you a recalled motor. I'd suggest contacting your vendor and verifying that that this motor is either affected or has had the casing replaced is ready. I also have one of these, which I received a week ago and I think that's my plan....

Looks like I'm good to go. Karl Baumann says my vendor returned his defective cases and was sent replacements prior to my purchase in December.

Back