Movie - Shin Godzilla

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Not bad at all. Starts out slow but picks up. Not much character development but, hey, this is a monster movie. Nice evolution (hint, hint) of the Godzilla genre. Great CGI. Ending leaves open what might be a very interesting sequel (looks like human/Godzilla hybrids). Interesting revelations of what must be the Japanese public's view on the US (not unflattering). Won Best Picture in Japan. Available through Netflix DVD (where I got it), Amazon streaming and maybe Netflix streaming.

[video=youtube;zgyq6YKeIms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgyq6YKeIms[/video]

Saw this over the break. I am more critical of it than you... I though the monster looked very cheesy, particularly the face / eyes, especially early on. Give me rubber suit toho productions any day...

The movie revolved around the main characters creating committees and moving between meeting after meeting after meeting ad nauseum ; the re-telling of the origins of Godzilla monster was un-interesting, more laughable. On a good note, I did like it when Godzilla went off and smoked a city and lasered some military hardware.

Watched this on a plane heading to Tokyo last spring. It's great for a bit of turn off the brain time killing.

I thought I read somewhere that there was some connection being alluded too between Kong (Skull Island) and Godzilla. Was there anything in Godzilla that may have hinted at this connection?

I thought I read somewhere that there was some connection being alluded too between Kong (Skull Island) and Godzilla. Was there anything in Godzilla that may have hinted at this connection?

There was a movie "Kong vs Godzilla in 1963.

I saw it in the theater, and own the blue ray. I enjoy Godzilla, and this was no different.

Like the no so subtle dig on their government post Fukushima.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Not in this film. The post-credit scene in Skull Island shows (but doesn't name) Godzilla.

The movie revolved around the main characters creating committees and moving between meeting after meeting after meeting ad nauseum ; the re-telling of the origins of Godzilla monster was un-interesting, more laughable. On a good note, I did like it when Godzilla went off and smoked a city and lasered some military hardware.
Agree, that's why I mentioned it started out slow. Way too much administrative stuff which really didn't serve its intended purpose of creating character interest. Still, based upon the action and CGI when things really got going, I think it's worth a rental if you enjoy the Godzilla genre. The reviews by US-based Godzilla nerds that was part of the Blu-ray extras indicates they liked it.

Back