So what do you do when it is the Home Owners Association (HOA) that goes crazy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this problem is also solved by more tanks as well.

I just heard about this on the radio this morning!

"Well Ms HOA person, my garage door IS open, you just can't see through my Tank to verify!"

"Well Ms HOA person, my garage door IS open, you just can't see through my Tank to verify!"

If the tank's gun is pointing toward the HOA presidents house, they probably will rescind this rule awfully quick.

Either that or have an old school Soviet style mayday parade where they drive down the subdivision's streets and blow open people's garage doors in an attempt to "follow" the rule.

Note- I have never been elected to any office (HOA or otherwise), and never intend to be :)

I call BS. I would let the fines stack up. or park an M1919 in there with me behind it. OK, so up here it would only be a 5 round belt but still. :)
Browning_M1919.jpg

Crazy is moving into an HOA governed community in the first place. You already don't own your home if you decide to stop paying the government for what you think you own, why compound the restriction to ownership with more governance?

I have to agree with CORZERO on this one. While I realize that there are some protections in a community with a HOA, I myself would never live in one. Way too many horror story's about them. In the last few months alone one person could not put up the mailbox of his choice. HOA says they have to be all the same color (black), the same size and by the same mfgr. In another case the home owner could not have a flower garden in the front yard. Did not meet the landscaping rules. And don't even think about painting your house the color you want or parking in your driveway overnight. The only reason I can think of living in a community with a HOA is you can tell everyone else how you want them to live. Not for me. What ever happened to live and let live.

I have to agree with CORZERO on this one. While I realize that there are some protections in a community with a HOA, I myself would never live in one. Way too many horror story's about them. In the last few months alone one person could not put up the mailbox of his choice. HOA says they have to be all the same color (black), the same size and by the same mfgr. In another case the home owner could not have a flower garden in the front yard. Did not meet the landscaping rules. And don't even think about painting your house the color you want or parking in your driveway overnight. The only reason I can think of living in a community with a HOA is you can tell everyone else how you want them to live. Not for me. What ever happened to live and let live.

You continue to forget no one is forcing you too. I can see some of you having a hard time in the military.

January 09, 2018 04:06 PM

UPDATED 3 HOURS 1 MINUTES AGO

An Auburn area homeowners association rescinded a requirement Tuesday that homeowners keep their garage doors open during the day, following national attention that had many calling it an example of HOA overreach.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article193840519.html#storylink=cpy
James Croci, a landlord who owns two units at Auburn Greens, said people had a mistaken impression of what was happening there. The sprawling development was built 40 years ago as a collection of mostly fourplex apartment buildings with open carports beneath the upper units. The community’s lengthy rulebook lists the carports as common property to be maintained by the HOA, he said.

Over time, some owners had installed garage doors on their carports, enclosing them. Illegal tenants or transients sometimes slept there unnoticed, Croci said. They’d slip in through unlocked side doors or garage doors, he said.

“You’re not allowed to install garage doors,” he said. “The ones you see were grandfathered in.”

The fact that transients and vagrants can sleep in their garages says they are neither secured nor gated but open to the public. That's not ANY place I'd live in HOA or otherwise.

You continue to forget no one is forcing you too. I can see some of you having a hard time in the military.

He never said or implied that anyone is or did. Maybe you should stick with the military, I can see some of you having a hard time in academia.

Didn't we just have an HOA conversation a month or two ago? Some of us like communities with maintenance requirements and a certain level of forced uniformity. Others don't. Pick your preferred lifestyle and Rock on!

vinyl garage wraps are pretty wicked

Tank-on-Garage-Door-for-Blogcropped1.jpg

HoA's make up some of the most idiotic rules on the planet to earn money. This doesn't have to do with anyone military. The military orders generally have logic. An HOA order is simply an absurd method to take your hard earned money out of your natural habits or hobbies for greed purposes and power control to force habits you may not agree with on you.

The HOA at woods neighborhood in Collierville, TN made a STUPID rule of how many cars you could park on a driveway you owned. If you move outside of city limits you can do whatever the f*** you legally can as you please. People were enraged. Do not move to a HOA area if you like your freedom. We moved. A rich lawyer family named the Otts couldn't keep several restored stingrays in pristine condition under tarps dusted off in a driveway. There was nothing trashy about it. Only four cars. We had to sell a truck in the driveway that had been in the family for years as a ranch truck.

Didn't we just have an HOA conversation a month or two ago? Some of us like communities with maintenance requirements and a certain level of forced uniformity. Others don't. Pick your preferred lifestyle and Rock on!

F*** HOA is mine. I see my parents burdened by HOA and excessive fees for little gain wherever mom and stepdad move. My father has a small farm house without any HOA and life is much better there rule wise. You could shoot a rifle off a porch out in the rural country and no one cares.

My father served. His attitude on HOA is worse than VC. HOA takes your money. The military issues an order and you follow it for service of country. Two different things. So do you want more laws and random tickets? I don't. HOA= suck.

F*** HOA is mine. I see my parents burdened by HOA and excessive fees for little gain wherever mom and stepdad move. My father has a small farm house without any HOA and life is much better there rule wise. You could shoot a rifle off a porch out in the rural country and no one cares.
That's fine for those that want a rural lifestyle and measure their land in square miles rather than fractional acres.

On the other hand, I live on a third of an acre, with houses no more than 70 feet away from me to either side, so I have to look at their houses daily and anyone looking at my house is also looking at my neighbors' houses too. I don't want to live next to an unkempt crap pile that looks awful and would make it hard to sell my own house someday (lived that before; never again).

My neighborhood specifies mailbox vendor/style/color including the post. I know my neighbor won't put up a giant duck where the letters go in the mouth. Fine by me.

I lived next to a crap pile too... The guy maintaining his crap pile went bankrupt and moved. Dad paid $67,000 for a house and 1.5 acres. Dad was buying land for $700 an acre it inflated to $7000 an acre. Mom paid $750,000 in St.Ives ,Signal Mt. TN, a high HOA Area. There's still slingshot distance maybe 50-75 yards between houses. Very nice furnished many rooms. Ultra nice neighborhood. This HOA doesn't have as many rules as those other HOA have. They still yelled our dogs barked for over four hours once. They had the cops visit twice to ask us to close our garage doors when we had paint projects drying. The HOA claims it attracts bad attention to leave a garage door up on a three quarter of million dollar house. lol.

They didn't like that we had 40,000 rounds of ammo either. We have reloading presses in our garage to make our own cheaper. Though they joke we were the place they want to visit if SHTF.... Imagine if some criminals had gotten that ammo with the garage doors open. Lol.

i think it's absurd the other HOA wants the garage doors open as that is not a good combo.

HOAs have pros and cons like everything else. Some people think the pros outweigh the cons and are willing to move into an HOA neighborhood, others prefer not to.

The best part is, if you don't want to live under an HOA you don't have to!

I'll never understand why people that dislike HOAs feel the need to talk badly about those that are okay with it, saying that it's crazy for anyone to do it, or to explain how much freedom you can have living in the country miles from anything. People that live in an HOA are not crazy, and it's not a crazy idea. I would never want to own a surfboard, or eat at Golden Corral, but why would I think it necessary to tell people that enjoy these things why it's better for me to avoid them? I would never tell them that crazy is paying money for something dangerous.

That being said, to me there's a huge difference between moving into an HOA with rules that are set and then complaining about the rules, and moving into an HOA will rules you agree with and them springing a completely dangerous rule on you later. Luckily there are things the homeowners can do about it.

When we put ammo into coffee cans the HOA finally stopped whining.

That's fine for those that want a rural lifestyle and measure their land in square miles rather than fractional acres.

On the other hand, I live on a third of an acre, with houses no more than 70 feet away from me to either side, so I have to look at their houses daily and anyone looking at my house is also looking at my neighbors' houses too. I don't want to live next to an unkempt crap pile that looks awful and would make it hard to sell my own house someday (lived that before; never again).

My neighborhood specifies mailbox vendor/style/color including the post. I know my neighbor won't put up a giant duck where the letters go in the mouth. Fine by me.

70 feet! The luxury! My entire lot is 40 feet wide, and there's about 10 feet between the houses. No HOA, but we all seem to get along anyway. We don't have space for giant ducky mailboxes. Also, inside city limits doesn't necessarily mean that there's an HOA. I think it has more to do with when the neighborhood was developed. The older the neighborhood, the less likely an HOA is. Also, if there wasn't a single developer and people bought lots piecemeal, then an HOA is unlikely.

As far as preserving value, the entire neighborhood is going up at 15%-20%/year, mostly due to tech employees moving in because there's a good bus line to the tech hub in Seattle.

Well forty feet wide is less to mow. I'll give you that!

What's wrong about a duck mailbox? Oh some HOA will rant some person de-valued other homes, lol.

In this neighborhood they require mailboxes are gas line fed with natural gas laterns. No one has replaced a mailbox due to the expense of doing so. Most are brick or steel. I doubt the HOA would like a duck with a gas bulb glowing out of an open bill but if the neighbor did that I wouldn't complain.

HOAs have pros and cons like everything else. Some people think the pros outweigh the cons and are willing to move into an HOA neighborhood, others prefer not to.

The best part is, if you don't want to live under an HOA you don't have to!

I'll never understand why people that dislike HOAs feel the need to talk badly about those that are okay with it, saying that it's crazy for anyone to do it, or to explain how much freedom you can have living in the country miles from anything. People that live in an HOA are not crazy, and it's not a crazy idea. I would never want to own a surfboard, or eat at Golden Corral, but why would I think it necessary to tell people that enjoy these things why it's better for me to avoid them? I would never tell them that crazy is paying money for something dangerous.

That being said, to me there's a huge difference between moving into an HOA with rules that are set and then complaining about the rules, and moving into an HOA will rules you agree with and them springing a completely dangerous rule on you later. Luckily there are things the homeowners can do about it.

Since the 1960s, Americans have been slowly moving away from the idea of an absolute moral center, where certain things are inviolably right or wrong by their very nature, toward a more relativistic, live-and-let-live, to-each-his-own type of morality ... except, apparently, when it comes to the utility of HOAs! Who knew? :eyeroll:

The problem with HOA is when you move there knowing all rules and then they write more new rules without consent. The HOA at St.Ives usually leaves this neighborhood alone because all these whiney doctors wives are like ultra snark. They would cream the kardashians on sheer amount of whining if needed. And they have all whined to HOA to just back off thankfully. Like they would revolt with whine and snarkness if HOA changed anything and HOA recognizes it. Enough whiners will out whine an HOA into chill mode.

They'll start at "I'm a doctor's wife... I have four kids and my life is ssoooo miserable..." And they won't shut up for forty minutes to hours about kids and problems with kids. They drove the HOA into insanity itself. This HOA allows kids to leave toys in yard and cars parked in driveways, from sheer collective whining and ammo hoarding that occurred. All the neighbors get along and they all whined against the HOA to leave us alone. And this HOA listened. Other HOAs I've seen don't listen to homeowners.

I will also note that while I choose to live where there is an HOA, I'm NOT in favor of moving the goalposts by changing the existing rules.

I have lived in my home for more than a decade and only received minor notices about burned out bulbs and the like. I did a couple years back get a notice to fix a crack in the sidewalk since "it was more than a half inch " of a heave vertically. Actually I measured it at 3/4 of an inch, about the same as when I moved in. Hadn't changed in years. There is no specification about this in the HOA or in my city ordinances. A quick search showed even in places with specifications it tends to be 1 inch or greater before action is required. So I very politely told the HOA rep that I disagreed with the need to fix this one, particularly as it was caused by settling over the incoming electrical wiring trunk lines, and that unless they could point to something in law or the HOA I signed indicating a half inch threshold, I would pass on it. They agreed that it was an optional repair. Now, a few weeks ago we got a letter from the HOA president saying how they will be stricter in enforcement of various things (I agree with enforcing the items in the HOA) but he cited some things like these heaves that are not actually in the HOA terms. Should be interesting.

My crack will probably get fixed when I (voluntarily) take care of some crumbling concrete nearby, but I'm sitting back ready to chuckle as people who did things like put up basketball hoops and stuff without permission get nailed.

He never said or implied that anyone is or did. Maybe you should stick with the military, I can see some of you having a hard time in academia.

He had asked "whatever happened to live and let live", once again, if it's problematical to live with an HOA, then don't pursue such a life style and you have just allowed "live and let live". Let the HOA carry on and all others can go their separate ways. It's a very simple formula.

Back