So what do you do when it is the Home Owners Association (HOA) that goes crazy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOA person smiles at us all and leaves. HOA maintains community pool and sprinkler systems. That's what we all wanted. People wanted kids to play in streets and then to have basketball hoops. And people here fix cars in garages without worry. No one plays loud music either. We all happen to enjoy the quietness. HOA tried to change rules and about thirty pissed off women outside the HOA owner's house threatening to sue HOA with briefcases of cash made this place more relaxing. Plus the whining was heard across streets over in other neighborhoods.

Since the 1960s, Americans have been slowly moving away from the idea of an absolute moral center, where certain things are inviolably right or wrong by their very nature, toward a more relativistic, live-and-let-live, to-each-his-own type of morality ... except, apparently, when it comes to the utility of HOAs! Who knew? :eyeroll:

Exactly!! Live and let live.

If you don't want to live in an HOA, then don't, and I'll be okay with you living out in the country with the freedom to install a duck mailbox and shoot guns off your back porch. I have zero problems with that.

If you do want to live in an HOA with a neighborhood of like minded people who will keep their houses and yards to a standard that everyone agreed to, then I'll be okay with that too. I have zero problems with that.

Why can't everyone be okay with the decisions other HOA or non-HOA people make about where they choose to live? It is SO easy for the non-HOA minded people to avoid HOAs. It's SO easy for HOA people to read the agreements before they close on a house and decide not to if they don't like the rules. Win-win!!

The problem with HOA is when you move there knowing all rules and then they write more new rules without consent. The HOA at St.Ives usually leaves this neighborhood alone because all these whiney doctors wives are like ultra snark. They would cream the kardashians on sheer amount of whining if needed. And they have all whined to HOA to just back off thankfully. Like they would revolt with whine and snarkness if HOA changed anything and HOA recognizes it. Enough whiners will out whine an HOA into chill mode.

They'll start at "I'm a doctor's wife... I have four kids and my life is ssoooo miserable..." And they won't shut up for forty minutes to hours about kids and problems with kids. They drove the HOA into insanity itself. This HOA allows kids to leave toys in yard and cars parked in driveways, from sheer collective whining and ammo hoarding that occurred. All the neighbors get along and they all whined against the HOA to leave us alone. And this HOA listened. Other HOAs I've seen don't listen to homeowners.

SUCK!!!! Grew up in old suburbia. One acre, was a dairy pasture when dad bought the land in 46'. All the lots around us were 1/2 to one acre. NOT part of a HOA but still when I went to build another garage .. sorry you cant build a 24 x 30. You can only build a 24 x 24. Now you can develop 70% of your lot so you can build FIVE more 24 x 24s . Oh Im not living here anymore!!!!!! Friend lives in UPTIGHT WHITE suburbia ... here these are one of the five shades of beige you can paint your house, oh you have to have a fire starter wood roof. If you want to sign your rights away, not be able to have any hobbies and live like a nomad, feel free to move to a concentration camp uuuh I mean HOA neighborhood.

What happens when the HOA screws the like minded people? I've seen people in an entire community retaliate against HOA. People that were originally happy with HOA agreements were all we're not putting up with this change anymore. There's a difference between standards being met and basically a HOA president having oppression. Seen both.

Exactly!! Live and let live.

If you don't want to live in an HOA, then don't, and I'll be okay with you living out in the country with the freedom to install a duck mailbox and shoot guns off your back porch. I have zero problems with that.

If you do want to live in an HOA with a neighborhood of like minded people who will keep their houses and yards to a standard that everyone agreed to, then I'll be okay with that too. I have zero problems with that.

Why can't everyone be okay with the decisions other HOA or non-HOA people make about where they choose to live? It is SO easy for the non-HOA minded people to avoid HOAs. It's SO easy for HOA people to read the agreements before they close on a house and decide not to if they don't like the rules. Win-win!!

Precisely. We love ours and the neighborhoods are spotless and well kept up and it shows. Great for curb appeal and selling potential.

What happens when the HOA screws the like minded people? I've seen people in an entire community retaliate against HOA. People that were originally happy with HOA agreements were all we're not putting up with this change anymore. There's a difference between standards being met and basically a HOA president having oppression. Seen both.
HOA board elections are typically held once a year. If the entire community is retaliating against a President that they don't like, they can vote him out and he's not a problem.
Also, new rules usually need a majority vote of the homeowners to change, so silly rules like mandatory garage door open hours can be avoided. Someone moving into an HOA that doesn't read their contract ahead of time, and the President can make changes to the rules as he likes, has nobody to blame but themselves.

There's always other HOA neighborhoods to find if you're looking for one that you can agree with, and there's always non HOA houses to buy if you're trying to avoid them.

HOA board elections are typically held once a year. If the entire community is retaliating against a President that they don't like, they can vote him out and he's not a problem.
Also, new rules usually need a majority vote of the homeowners to change, so silly rules like mandatory garage door open hours can be avoided. Someone moving into an HOA that doesn't read their contract ahead of time, and the President can make changes to the rules as he likes, has nobody to blame but themselves.

There's always other HOA neighborhoods to find if you're looking for one that you can agree with, and there's always non HOA houses to buy if you're trying to avoid them.

It's just what we did. We shopped around to find the right balance. Must have gone through over a dozen different ones before settling on this one. If worse comes to worse, we have more than enough equity to leave.

In my HOA, I have yet to find one thing that I would want to do that I can't do. Oh, there are things that I can't do, for sure; but not anything that I would want to do.

In my HOA I've been allowed to do several things that I've submitted for approval, and a couple that were denied.

One that was denied was a sidewalk around the side of my house to the basement door. I was hoping to avoid walking in the grass/mud/leaves when I went around the house for some reason. They said no and I don't know why. But I didn't pout, cry, complain, or accuse the HOA of being unreasonable. I'm sure if I felt strongly enough about having a sidewalk I could have pressed them to provide a specific thing in the agreement that it would violate, and if they couldn't produce anything I could install the sidewalk anyway. But I didn't feel that strongly. Instead I thought, "At least there are no window AC units hanging out the front of some houses, and there are no duck shaped mailboxes, so it's an even trade".

Get a bunch of doctors wives to pout, whine, threaten to sue, and you will have HOA listen to you. We all keep it somewhat spotless, and HOA stopped saying you can't do X or Y to your house as long as it looks professional.

I'd still chose to not live with an HOA at all later in life. Our HOA caused this community more pain than gain. Nothing at all was "junky" and they still kept writing rules until people were like let's all threaten to sue HOA.
We can put in sidewalks, decks, pools, fences, basketball goals, car lifts, but damn it took a lot to get it there. Had to get entire community to tell HOA just maintain the pool and leave us alone. No one put up a duck mailbox but no rule prohibits it.

Get a bunch of doctors wives to pout, whine, threaten to sue, and you will have HOA listen to you. We all keep it somewhat spotless, and HOA stopped saying you can't do X or Y to your house as long as it looks professional.

I'd still chose to not live with an HOA at all later in life. Our HOA caused this community more pain than gain. Nothing at all was "junky" and they still kept writing rules until people were like let's all threaten to sue HOA.
We can put in sidewalks, decks, pools, fences, basketball goals, car lifts, but damn it took a lot to get it there. Had to get entire community to tell HOA just maintain the pool and leave us alone. No one put up a duck mailbox but no rule prohibits it.

Like with anything in life, there are good ones and bad ones. The best you can do is to do your homework by thoroughly reading the HOA and deciding from there. We can more than live with the things that are prohibited as we never bothered with bringing those things into our lives to begin with. No loss for us.

Not all HOA's are like that. The one in my neighborhood has regular meetings to talk about what's going on, and if there are thoughts of new rules, they are voted on by the residents.

"I had a bad experience with XYZ, therefore XYZ sucks for everyone, everywhere, and if you don't agree with me, you're an idiot!"

For XYZ, insert HOA, particular rocket vendor, particular rocket club, particular religion, ....

"I had a bad experience with XYZ, therefore XYZ sucks for everyone, everywhere, and if you don't agree with me, you're an idiot!"

For XYZ, insert HOA, particular rocket vendor, particular rocket club, particular religion, ....

I know a lot of people like that. You can add race, gender, political affiliation, age, etc.

Yup, if it's bad here, it's bad EVERYWHERE! 63,000,000 people are HOA residents. 10% don't like it. Out of those 10% I'll guess half didn't even give a thorough read of the HOA requirements. Some people just like to hear themselves complain for the sake of it.

So, for those who think HOA's are so great, how many of you would have NO PROBLEM with your own local HOA requiring you to keep your garage doors open in daytime?

How about if the HOA also required you to keep your front door unlocked, so they could come in anytime they wanted to (without you being there) to "inspect" that nobody is living anywhere else inside, either, or for whatever other excuse?

This original story stinks to high heaven of an HOA becoming a "Police State", that is requiring residents to "prove they are not guilty" by keeping their garage doors open, and fining them (presumed guilty) if they do not.

That's not how "'Murica" works.

It is just insane to force residents to leave their property unprotected, or else be fined for securing their property.

Maybe to ensure that all vehicles are capable of being moved quickly in case of emergency, HOA's should require that keys be left in the ignition switch of all vehicles, with the doors unlocked? Makes about as much sense. And the HOA defenders would apparently go for that too since "that's what everyone singed up for". REALLY?

You create a lot of "ifs". My HOA allows the residents themselves to vote. Once again, you need to read the fine print and understand what the HOA can and can't do.

So, for those who think HOA's are so great.... (BS, BS, BS)
Just because there are such things as good HOAs, doesn't mean that I think ALL the HOAs are great. And just because I happen to like my HOA, it doesn't mean I'll love all versions of crazy HOAs that you can make up.

The HOA I live in can't arbitrarily make up a rule, such as required garage door open hours, without the homeowners voting on a change and it passing with a majority. And no HOA is going to suggest that all houses and cars remain unlocked when unoccupied.

If you move into an HOA without reading the agreement (contract), then you really have no room to complain when the thing you agree to happens.

That's not how people who read their HOA agreements before signing them work. REALLY!

Last edited:
My neighborhood specifies mailbox vendor/style/color including the post. I know my neighbor won't put up a giant duck where the letters go in the mouth. Fine by me.

These HOA threads are always entertaining!

After reading about giant plastic duck mailboxes that swallow your letters I got all excited - only to find out that, as far as the interwebs can tell me, they are not available for sale... [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

So, for those who think HOA's are so great, how many of you would have NO PROBLEM with your own local HOA requiring you to keep your garage doors open in daytime?

I would not have signed that agreement, and would have found somewhere else to live.

How about if the HOA also required you to keep your front door unlocked, so they could come in anytime they wanted to (without you being there) to "inspect" that nobody is living anywhere else inside, either, or for whatever other excuse?

I would not have signed that agreement, and would have found somewhere else to live.

This original story stinks to high heaven of an HOA becoming a "Police State", that is requiring residents to "prove they are not guilty" by keeping their garage doors open, and fining them (presumed guilty) if they do not.

No, it doesn't. The original story states that the units were built with open carports that did not have doors. Certain residents chose (presumably without HOA permission) to put doors on their units. The HOA was graciously allowing them to keep their doors, rather than forcing them to remove the doors. However, when vagrants began living in them, they issued a requirement for residents to open the doors that were not supposed to be there to begin with.

That's not how "'Murica" works.

That would only be a true statement if "Murica" were requiring citizens to live in HOA communities against their will.

It is just insane to force residents to leave their property unprotected, or else be fined for securing their property.

Not when the doors were not allowed to be there in the first place. The properties were purchased with open car ports, and that is the only level of security that residents were entitled to expect.

Maybe to ensure that all vehicles are capable of being moved quickly in case of emergency, HOA's should require that keys be left in the ignition switch of all vehicles, with the doors unlocked? Makes about as much sense. And the HOA defenders would apparently go for that too since "that's what everyone singed up for". REALLY?

There seems to be some misconception here that the HOAs fool people into accepting conditions that are unfavorable to them. When I bought my house, I read the covenants, I liked them, I agreed to them, and I signed them. I have lived by them for the last fifteen years, and I am thankful that my neighbors have, too.

If the HOA proposes covenant changes, they need to call a meeting of residents, and the changes need to be vetted and voted on. Likewise, the HOA officers come up for reelection every few years, and there is opportunity for turnover. It is a very democratic system.

It sounds to me like you are seeing things like this:

Guy moves into a house, signs nothing. Finds out later that there is an HOA. Who knew?

Then finds out that the HOA mandates that he keep his grass cut, his trees pruned, and his house power-washed. WTF? He had no intention of ever cutting his grass!

Trees? No way! He had every intention of cutting them down and getting some cinder blocks to put a bunch of automotive "projects" on.

If only he had known in advance that there was an HOA! But now he's stuck, even though he didn't sign anything, and the evil United States Government is telling him to suck it up!

Communists, all!

Last edited:
And no HOA is going to suggest that all houses and cars remain unlocked when unoccupied.

Ours suggested doors down and locked. There were still thefts of mail from mail boxes. Then they put a police patrol car out yonder. And some teens got felonies later. It's one thing when informed contract reading homeowners agree to the HOA rule book and then the rules change suddenly by the association and not the people as members.

It's one thing when informed contract reading homeowners agree to the HOA rule book and then the rules change suddenly by the association and not the people as members.
The homeowners most definitely agreed to let the HOA board change the rules on a whim. They shouldn't complain when it happens.

Not all HOAs are like that. If you're like me, and don't want that to happen where you live, it's easy to avoid.

They would find out how many small arms this community has in a non violent peaceful protest open carry with law enforcement support and how many police cars there are locally. Kick a hornet's nest win stupid prizes. Currently law enforcement officers are recommending doors down to reduce thefts. That kind of HOA decision against law enforcement recommendations without consent would set off a bad reaction of very pissed people. Our HOA already nearly got sued once. And yes we all are informed of the rules.

And of HOA's I like this one a lot because it doesn't do anything anymore to piss people off.

The homeowners most definitely agreed to let the HOA board change the rules on a whim. They shouldn't complain when it happens..

We have a new president now because the old one left for doing wrong.

What should happen with votes doesn't always happen when corrupt person is in charge. The kind of jerk where you all vote for something and the fool does whatever anyways.

What should happen with votes doesn't always happen when corrupt person is in charge. The kind of jerk where you all vote for something and the fool does whatever anyways.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Are you saying that HOAs are objectionable because of the results of something someone did outside of the HOA agreement?

If the HOA agreement is written to prevent the president making new rules on a whim, and he does it anyway, why object to the existence of the HOA? Sounds like someone making arbitrary rules that nobody has to follow.

Community votes one way leader of association did another then resigned, lol.

There are over 342,000 HOA communities in the US alone as of 2016. People insist that what goes for one applies to all and that is not the truth. Ours is gated and geographically isolated. Only one way in, and one way out. The rest is backed up against heavily wooded, non occupied forest. Transients caused the problem mentioned in this thread leading to the garage door issue. This does not sound like the community has security of any kind which would NOT be for me. Some folks really seem so irked that others are enjoying the decisions they were FREE to make as well.

"local HOA requiring you to keep your garage doors open in daytime?"

This was mentioned more than once in this thread.
Why would a HOA require this?
I have a few neighbors who leave their door open and can't figure out why - nor can I fathom why a HOA would require it.

Can anyone shed some light on this practice?

Back