Estes #7266 Red Nova Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sanding of the fins is finished. I added some filler fillets to the fins, over the glue, to help even them out some.

All the pre-prime sanding is done. Hopefully this weekend will warm up enough I can get a coat on it...

26394901738_672ab19b77_b.jpg

Nice build, Rick. You might try a couple of coats of Minwax Polycrylic before priming. It really toughens and seals the surface of filled wood and paper airframes. It is acrylic water base so it is non reactive to any primer or topcoat system. Suggest a foam brush for application. It can be washed and reused. Absolutely no odor. I swear by it for all my cardboard and wood airframes from low to high power.

I was wondering if that front-facing step on the nose cone that simulates the appearance of an inlet is wide enough that you could paint it black so that it actually looks like an inlet.

How did you end up with this paint wise?

Its in primer now, we only just got weather warm enough to paint. I'll likely go with some variation of the face card paint scheme.

I was wondering if that front-facing step on the nose cone that simulates the appearance of an inlet is wide enough that you could paint it black so that it actually looks like an inlet.

Probably. It's a thin step, so the black band would be more of a line than anything else. I did that on my Teros clone, but I used a sharpie to do it...

What is the second rocket in the picture next to the Red Nova?

Mini Blackfly, a downscale of the MAC Performance kit that Mike Pittfield designed. BT60 tubing with an Estes PNC-60RL nose cone and a boat tail 3D printed by MAC. I should get to painting that too...

I finally finished my Red Nova. I really like this kit. This was months in the making. We finally got nice weather for painting.
28A7CAE7-4F75-40E2-A4E6-6DE4994CA151.jpg

I sprayed the red on last night:

40362812710_c55d9fce73_c.jpg

Its hard to tell from this particular shot; I used the 2X color called Poppy Red. I wanted a shade of red that was bright and had a hint of orange to it (rather than apple or fire engine red). I think Poppy Red fits that, though its a satin color. But I'll wind up clear coating over the decals anyway.

...Its gorgeous, Rick. Nice work! Will it fly at URRF 5?

Awesome! You did a nice trim job on the nose cone step/ inlet lip, that really makes the spinner stand out.

Thanks guys. It will likely fly at URRF5, but that's TBD. I did fly it today though, on C11-5. That's a near perfect motor for it - I'm going to miss them when supplies run out...

I like what you did with the silver ring around the nose. I went a little different in the colors. Transparent white mixed with Pearl white and candy blood red mixed with pearl over a silver base coat.
IMG_5951.jpg
IMG_5952.jpg
IMG_5954.jpg

I just took delivery of a Red Nova kit. Your postings are helpful and informative. I appreciate you taking the time to share photos and all the information.

I finally completed my Red Nova. It did not come out nearly as nice as yours but once painted and decals added it is a nice looking rocket. I haven't painted the NC yet and I messed up a couple of the decals. I don't know why the package only lists a D12 engine where as the C11 is just fine. If you compare the weight of the Red Nova to other rockets such as the Astron Sprint XL, the C11 makes sense. Once again thanks for all your posts which were helpful and motivated me. This would be a great kit to upscale.Red Nova2.JPG

If I ever finish the two stage conversion of Quests's Terrier-Orion, maybe I'll do this one next. But I'd have to order two and build one stock.

Back