Snow ?????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onebadhawk

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
If anybody knows them,,
would you please ask if Crazy Jim or Chris Short
get much snow where they live ?????
Or if it ever get's much below 50 degrees or so ????

Lol

Teddy

Are you looking for somewhere to move? We only got 1-2 inches up here in Northern IL. We're flying tomorrow at Bong.. forecasted high is a balmy 12F. Should be a great place for you to live!

Chris Short lives a few hours south of me, so normally I'd say no he doesn't get much snow.

However this year, southern/central alabama has gotten more snow than us up here. (and none in huntsville....)

It's a rare thing

Wed morn hit with the 'Bomb Cyclone" or as the local weatherman referred....winter hurricane.

I lived here 37 yrs and this is my first time with SNOW in Savannah. I did live on lake Erie in Ohio..my last year there, I had 35ft over my house, so I do know about snow.

Wed a tropical storm came up coast of Florida & met a Polar vortex coming down at the FL/Ga border. First thing Wed... rained/drizzled for an hour, before turning into Ice storm. Then the snow came...big heavy cotton ball flakes covering all the ice. 4-6inches mostly on the coastal area's. It was a white out blizzard of epic proportions that would have be equally at home, anywhere up north.
I'm guessing you guys up in Virginia, Washington, NY, Jersey & New England are getting it about now. Along with 40-50mph winds.

Power lines, palm trees, even my orange laden tree in back yard were ice covered then snow.
That was Wed..had to chisel 1/4in of Ice off my truck to open the doors.
Temps were/are:
Tues Hi 35 low 22
Wed Hi 30 low 16
thurs Fri Sat pretty much the same 43-44 high 22-25 low

Monday will be back to normal 65-52
Still have 3 inches of ice on steps & sidewalks.

Took traffic 10hrs to go from Florida border to Savannah 140 miles.
all major bridges shut down. Everything in city closed till today Fri.

It was hilarious watching people who have never seen snow...they do very strange things.

if looking to move no snow here past week but -14 this am

snowblower was used once in December otherwise for most part just cold

We had about 2 feet. It's 1 degree out there right now and it's forecast to be -15 with windchill -35 tomorrow AM.
at least I get to defrost the freezer

It was hilarious watching people who have never seen snow...they do very strange things.

That's what I was thinking,, lol..
A ft of snow where people are used to it and equipped for it is one thing...
But enough snow to accumulate where it's never been is a whole nother ball game..
I got hit pretty good too..
It was the wind more then anything,, I really don't think there was more then the forecasted ft of snow
but the drifts were really big,, up to the door handles on my truck...
It's 5 degrees in my backyard right now without the wind chill..
I know for Tim, Glen and all of the guy's up North this is no big deal, right..
And it's 75 in Arizona,, lol,, that's a fine how do you do,, lol...

Man,,
I figured Chris and CJ were going to kill me,, lol...

I think it's colder now here then it is way out west-- Nebraska- Montana...

Teddy

I almost never drive in snow..
A few years ago I was at my cousin's place east of Toronto in December, I was picking up a sailplane on a trailer for my brother. The morning I was to leave to come home the snow was coming down hard and was well over a foot on the ground. My cousin said I needed to wait 30 minutes before I could leave (???). The township snowplow showed up, driven by cousin's friend, he said "Follow me to the highway ". A nice freshly cleared road was way better then what I was invisioning.

M

I almost never drive in snow..
A few years ago I was at my cousin's place east of Toronto in December, I was picking up a sailplane on a trailer for my brother. The morning I was to leave to come home the snow was coming down hard and was well over a foot on the ground. My cousin said I needed to wait 30 minutes before I could leave (???). The township snowplow showed up, driven by cousin's friend, he said "Follow me to the highway ". A nice freshly cleared road was way better then what I was invisioning.

M

aw comon man,,
that's cheatin,, lol..

Teddy

But enough snow to accumulate where it's never been is a whole nother ball game..
It was the wind more then anything,, I really don't think there was more then the forecasted ft of snow

Man,,

Teddy

Yeah, it was mid thirties and melting yesterday here in the mountains in Montana. It’s already 35°F here today, but next week is supposed to be in the twenties, which is normal for January here.

Steve Shannon

Yeah, it was mid thirties and melting yesterday here in the mountains in Montana. It’s already 35°F here today, but next week is supposed to be in the twenties, which is normal for January here.

Steve Shannon

The one and only time I drove through Montana was in 1990 in the last week of April. Pretty much out of nowhere, a snow storm came, and all of a sudden it was white out conditions. I was used to driving in snow, but that was pretty treacherous, and somewhat unexpected for me, coming from the East Coast and that late in the year. I was able to pull over and hang out at an IHOP until it cleared. Fun times!

I'd like very much to see Montana, Utah, Colorado...
I've never been there...
Super beautiful pics,, that's for sure..

Teddy

23 degrees F here now in Central Illinois with "rain" coming down. I guess there isn't a thick enough layer of cold air to cause the rain to turn to snow yet.
But I hear we may get some ice later on. Kurt

I see snow every winter, this one being no exception. (the colder than normal temps are the exception this year, so far..) Montreal has a snow removal budget of 159.4 Million $CAD.. and that's just the Montreal island. Paving & other assorted construction companies get over the winter hump by becoming the snow clearing crews

Snow tires are mandatory after Dec 15th (until March 15th). Not 'all seasons' but proper snow tires (M+S rated, with a snowflake). You're supposed to have a snow brush, shovel, and an extra pair of mitts in your car, along with all the other usual 'emergency items, and also to have a minimum of a 1/2 tank at all times. Jumper cables are also an absolute must.

But every winter I / we are surprised that people forget how to drive in the winter. And, since snow tires are mandatory, they will drive on them all year round, so end up in the winter with winter tires, but bald winter tires..

And, (what really amazes me) despite the same parking lot,with it's nicely painted lines, once the snow covers them, no one seems to know how to park. Wehn you see the lines you can park between them. But when covered, people start leaving 3 or more feet between them & the person next to them. (Don't they see that in sthe summer, the car beside them is only 12" - 18" away? Why, all of a sudden, do you seem to think leaving 36" or more is OK?!

Also, with anti lock brakes, 4-whee drive / AWD, it being an SUV, and having lived here a few years, do they need to drive so friggin' slow?! like, at any moment, they'll wildly spin out of control and slam into a pole, a car, a tree, a .. and burst into flames..

After the first good snow fall, I usually try to get into a closed parking lot, and throw my car around a bit, to get used to driving in wintery / slippery conditions. I know my car grabs a bit & pulls left on ice.. I know to brake hard, then release to have control. (don't lock up the wheels!!) I know to moderate the gas / use 2nd (standard) to get traction.. And I have a lot of fun with my handbrake!! And again, I'm amazed many don't try to push themselves, their car a bit to see what happens, what they can do, how to react..

As for you guys down south, who only see snow in pictures, on mountain tops, in a daiquiri (OK, that's 'slush', not 'snow'..) I totally sympathize. it's new, it's different, it can be scary!

Some people hate bugs, I hate snow (I hate ice storms even more!). The worst snow storm (and the most miserable I've been) was when I was living in West Texas. I was visiting a friend overnight at his ranch near Oplin (SE of Abilene). Got up to find we had gotten about three feet of snow overnight. Driving back to town, I passed fields where all I could see were the tops of fence posts.

Rocket relevance - My friend, Steve, expanded the operation at the ranch and leased land that has an old Atlas missile silo on it. We made a couple of trips down into it. Very dangerous, and full of water at the bottom of the silo. I Understand it'd been refurbished now, and the silo is some sort of B&B.

Snow...yeah, who hates snow more...

MINOT, N.D. (AP) — Authorities say a North Dakota man who wheeled a shopping cart with stolen merchandise out of a Hobby Lobby craft store was stopped by snow.
Police say 22-year-old Dustin Johnson filled up a cart with about $4,000 in products at a Hobby Lobby store in Minot on Wednesday. After the cart got stuck in the snow in the parking lot and tipped over, Johnson allegedly ran off.
Police say that along with the merchandise, Johnson left behind his wallet — which contained identification with his address.
Johnson is charged in Ward County with theft of property. Court documents do not list a lawyer for him.

Wayne and I went out Saturday to our local SSS launch - no wind and about 74 degrees, nice!

Then Gloria from AMW calls and tells me it's -3 degrees Farenheit with a 40 mph wind and her RV is frozen to the ground and her neighbors basement is flooded with frozen sea water. I think she lives in Massachusetts or someplace up in the Northeastern portion of the United States. Sounds like the Norse version of hell......

I haven't seen snow in years and don't miss it!

Yesterday Sandy and I went out to do some errands..
The Mid State Mall parking lot is where the township of East Brunswick
strategically puts a few pieces of heavy equipment when big storms are forecast..
In order to clear the parking lot on the outside edge of the lot
they made a mound of snow 15 ft high and 80 yards long...
It was a new record yesterday,, zero degrees without the wind chill by us..
I put my truck in front of the mound and got out and walked pretty far away
to take a pic of the truck in front of the piled up snow..
The pic came out really cool,, the truck looks like a really nicely detailed Hot Wheels toy truck,, lol...
I can't get the pic to upload....

Teddy

Warmed up to 6 degrees yesterday so I finally ventured out to snow blow the driveway. Nice change from the -24 the day before.

I do not miss the snow, said Sam I am. I do not miss one little bit. Sad to say I will admit, not a drift, nor a flake-even on a frozen lake. For I have served my time, in yonder winter clime, so I shall sit my ass in the sun, until the day my time is done. I do not miss the snow, said Sam I am.

I do not miss the snow, said Sam I am. I do not miss one little bit. Sad to say I will admit, not a drift, nor a flake-even on a frozen lake. For I have served my time, in yonder winter clime, so I shall sit my ass in the sun, until the day my time is done. I do not miss the snow, said Sam I am.

Lol...
Dat was a goody..

Teddy

A few years ago, we took the train from Seattle to Chicago in February. The Amtrak people called Shelby "Shelberia", for good reason.

Man,,

Teddy

We're sitting at 48 on the warm side of the mountains. The Pacific does a nice job of moderating our temps year round. When we do get snow, all hell breaks loose, though. People forget that you can't drive 20% grades in snow, even if you do have AWD. There's a notorious one that's in this video that gets just a hair steeper at the top, leading to accidents like this (sorry about the swears in the audio):

[video=youtube;tsJLVub50Aw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJLVub50Aw[/video]

In bad weather, locals will go out to watch transplant after transplant try to drive up in their Subarus, only to slide back and wreck cars below.

Back