Flying Site Documentation Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a documentation package for the landowner for a new flying site. My plan is to include the FAA waiver, NAR Section Insurance policy listing the site, a memorandum of understanding (MOU) between our club and the landowner, and a safety plan. The safety plan will include launch protocols and important information such as the nearest fire station, nearest emergency medical center, and contact information for club officers.

Wondering if anyone else has put together something similar? Rather than reinventing the wheel, it might be better to work from a template. If anyone has ideas about how to improve on this, I'm all ears. We really want to get off on the best foot with the site owner.

Thanks in advance.

I sounds to me as though you’re doing an excellent job already. The NAR also has a report on safety that describes how safe the hobby has been. It’s not frequently updated but it is a good tool.
We report to the BLM about any updates we make to our fire response capability, such as new equipment. We designated one of our members, who’s a captain in a volunteer fire department, to lead whatever response we make when we have a fire.
Although you didn’t mention it I’m sure you plan to provide the landowner with a schedule.

Steve Shannon

Provide a copy of a fully documented flight report, on google maps showing the flight path etc., establish a lateral distance maximum for recovery, explain recovery methods, scenarios... these are all things we use at our meetings that the other party finds valuable and gives them confidence in what we do.

I haven't done this before, but also include the number of people expected for a launch, what they're allowed/not allowed to do on the field (parking? bbq? tents?).

Also, depending on the size of the land, and planned launch activities, discuss with the surrounding landowners what's going on. That way if an errant rocket drifts onto their property, and someone goes to retrieve it, there's no bad surprises.

Back