5.5" FWFG Magnum Clone - 98mm or 54mm + 6x 29mm?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which configuration should I build?

• 98mm

• 54mm Central motor surrounded by six 29mm

Results are only viewable after voting.

patelldp

Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on this conundrum and I'm looking to the public for opinions. I have decided to build a 5.5" FWFG Magnum using the LOC nose cone and tubes cut exactly to LOC specs (45" booster, 17" payload). The fins will be the original dimensions, not the new ones that look goofy in my opinion.

Here's the case for each option:

98mm
  • (+) I already have the 98mm motor mount
  • (+) Permits the use of 54mm, 76mm, and 98mm single motors, from my snazzy new XPS 54-2550 to my trusty 98-10,000.
  • (-) Fins will be 1/8" and will require CF tip-to-tip
54mm + 6x 29mm
  • (+) 1/8" fins will not require additional reinforcement
  • (+) More in the original vein of the Magnum kit that we all know and love
  • (+) I make and sell 29mm Research motors, this would be a great showcase!
  • (-) Big motor limited to that snazzy XPS 2550...
  • (-) I'd need to purchase a 54mm motor tube, but I already have the 29mm tubes

I'll keep my current lean to myself until I see some survey results. Before anyone asks...there absolutely will be a build thread!

I voted for the 54mm + 6x29mm for the versatility and the CCF (cluster coolness factor).

You answered your own question.

Way more fun with 54 + 29's. easy build, versatile for many waivers and cheaper to fly...well kind of[ full pipes get pricey] but heh..you make your own.
I love clustered air-starts. I call it poor man 2 stagers ! lol

Good luck, old school stuff is always a hoot.

Voted for the 54 and 29s.

Plus, then you can pick up one of the coming soon N loads with the 98mm mount!:wink:

By the way, the Magnum fins are back to being Magnum fins...not the off kilter bigger fins you reference. Agree that the revised fins didn't look right.

Voted for the 54 and 29s.

Plus, then you can pick up one of the coming soon N loads with the 98mm mount!:wink:

By the way, the Magnum fins are back to being Magnum fins...not the off kilter bigger fins you reference. Agree that the revised fins didn't look right.

That's good that they went back. The same can be said with my Ultimate. The fins are bigger and blockier. Wish I had taken the time to research them and recut.

Currently 11-0 in favor of the cluster...not sure that's going to be surmountable by the 98mm. Honestly surprised it's not going the other way!

I voted the cluster. I'd check your total built weight (estimated) and make sure you are happy with a single 54mm getting it off the pad. FWFG can get pretty heavy. See what motor options you have.

I voted the cluster. I'd check your total built weight (estimated) and make sure you are happy with a single 54mm getting it off the pad. FWFG can get pretty heavy. See what motor options you have.

I will use a 2550 exclusively. It'll be good to go!

A sinister thought. Build it with both using a removable engine mount. Then you can go with either arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Build both!
7 motor clusters can be fun. That's how my kid set up his magnum :)

2018-01-03_08-43-55.jpg

Dan I think you need to have a 98mm center , with 9 29mm mounts . Set The 29mm mounts so they are halfway out of the 5.5 inch tube and then 3d print half cones .

Eric

Dan, I have a 54mm FG MMT sitting in a box at home not getting any love. I think it's around 21" in length, but would need to measure. $25 plus actual shipping. Let me know.

Dan I think you need to have a 98mm center , with 9 29mm mounts . Set The 29mm mounts so they are halfway out of the 5.5 inch tube and then 3d print half cones .

Eric

I had actually contemplated such a thing but I'm more of a "build with a purpose" kind of person. If I made it versatile like that, I'd probably build a 76mm adapter and leave it in place. The design would require an aft ring with "scallop voids" to accept 29mm motors but have enough web to have PEM nuts to attach the adapter. It would also create an odd situation at the fore end with a donut adapter to allow centering. Kinda messy.

I would like to stay away from cutting the main tube to allow a larger central motor.

Dan, I have a 54mm FG MMT sitting in a box at home not getting any love. I think it's around 21" in length, but would need to measure. $25 plus actual shipping. Let me know.

Sold. I'll PM you. The survey has spoken at this point, pretty sure I am going cluster!

Decision made, but I would have voted cluster too. Airstarts are awesome. How about sparky 29mm airstarts??

Can I change my vote from "MD 5.5" rocket" to an airstart/staged cluster where there are little rockets in the 29mm tubes that are ejected out of the bottom of the rocket and then ignite when they are free of the main body? Sort of a multiple stage/MIRV type rocket, except from the bottom?

Back