TCP Global HVLP Set: Is it worth it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

After reading the thread "Compressor best practises and HVLP setup", I started searching for an entry level HVLP set.

Opinions on the following?

TCP Global: 9 Piece HVLP Spray Gun Set

DeVilbiss: StartingLine HVLP Kit: #802342

Is there anything better (New) in the price range of the 2 listed above?

I know that I'll have to match whatever compressor I purchase to the set I choose, along with low restrictive hoses/fittings/accessories.

Oh and one other question: Is there such a thing as a low noise, low vibration air compressor?

Thanks.

Since I never got a response to this post, I guess I can presume neither setup is worth the money.

So, my question now is, can anyone recommend a decent entry level HVLP Spray Gun Set in the $300 +/- range? Something that will include spray guns for, primer, base and finish?

Also, compressor recommendations?

The TCP Global site has been recommended before for entry level equipment. Most rocketry painting unlike car painting does not require high volume compressors, I use a Porter Cable pancake compressor with my Harbor Freight guns often with no issues.

Any good detail gun should suit your needs quite well and not break your budget. I have a pair of Sharpe Finex guns that I love; they were about $120 each. Also check out Auto Body Toolmart.

Sorry I didn't notice your thread until just now. I have the TCP Global HVLP guns. I use them for almost all of my rocket painting and can highly recommend them. I use a 1.8mm tip for primer and a 1.3mm tip for everything else. I also almost exclusively use Restoration Shop lacquer from TCP Global. Here is my most recent paint job using spray equipment and paint from TCP Global: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?139390-L3-Certification-Build-8-quot-Upscale-Frenzy&p=1751455#post1751455.

I would recommend separate guns for metallic and non-metallic paints. Once you use a gun for metallic paint it is very hard to completely clean all the metallic flakes out of the gun.

Hello,

After reading the thread "Compressor best practises and HVLP setup", I started searching for an entry level HVLP set.

Opinions on the following?

TCP Global: 9 Piece HVLP Spray Gun Set

DeVilbiss: StartingLine HVLP Kit: #802342

Is there anything better (New) in the price range of the 2 listed above?

I know that I'll have to match whatever compressor I purchase to the set I choose, along with low restrictive hoses/fittings/accessories.

Oh and one other question: Is there such a thing as a low noise, low vibration air compressor?

Thanks.

Specific to the links of the kits you posted.

The DeVilbiss kit has only one usable tip for your needs, the 1.3 which is good for clear and some base, but not primer. As Nathan said a 1.8 for primer is a typical recommendation and so is 1.3 for clear and some base, although I use a 1.4 for base.

The TCP kit is better suited with a 1.8 and 1.3, and is good value especially if you are a novice and not doing a lot of painting. However that regulator is not very robust, and I would also get a dedicated regulator for each gun with a quick disconnect.

As far as HVLP you will find set-up and clean-up laborious unless yo are doing a lot of painting. One thing I did was to use the DeVilbiss DeKups system https://www.tcpglobal.com/Spray-Gun-Equipment/DeKups/. I believe that TCP has an adapter that will fit those guns. https://www.tcpglobal.com/Spray-Gun-Equipment/DeKup-Adapters/

......Here is my most recent paint job using spray equipment and paint from TCP Global: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...d-8-quot-Upscale-Frenzy&p=1751455#post1751455.

Started going through your build thread, and all I can say is that I am absolutely awestruck! I will be gleaning all the intel I can and saving it to disk as a reference. Thank you for sharing your techniques.

I need to go through these forums more thoroughly. Way to much valuable info to let slip by.....

Started going through your build thread, and all I can say is that I am absolutely awestruck! I will be gleaning all the intel I can and saving it to disk as a reference. Thank you for sharing your techniques.

I need to go through these forums more thoroughly. Way to much valuable info to let slip by.....

Lots of helpful info in the replies. Lots of options on equipment selection. I will share my setup with pics on the MAC Ethos 2.0 build thread.

I have the Eastwood Concurs "Low Volume" HVLP gun. Got it for rockets but painted by daughter's fender with it. Blue metallic 2 stage, came out perfect! Worked with small compressor (115V 60gal). About $120. I also heard good things about the Horror Freight $19 HVLP guns. Wouldn't trust it for my Porsche, but for a rocket? Hard not to try.

Started going through your build thread, and all I can say is that I am absolutely awestruck! I will be gleaning all the intel I can and saving it to disk as a reference. Thank you for sharing your techniques ...

Good Luck ! All I've been able to learn from Nathan's threads is that the Force is strong with that one and his Shaolin Temple training beats mine. :wink:

Back