Will Oregon be ok?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The odd thing I see in several comment threads online is "I don't want my clothes to smell like gas."

We've been pumping our own gas in Ohio since I was in grade school and the worst I've ever had is that my hand smelled a little like gasoline. that's easily fixed by washing your hands or wearing gloves. If your pants or your shirt smell like gasoline, you're definitely dong something wrong.

Oh, and if you live in a place that requires those "fume suckers" then there's little risk of the smell getting on anything.

The odd thing I see in several comment threads online is "I don't want my clothes to smell like gas."

Yep - pretty much the best they can come up with and I agree there is very little reason to spill gas or get it on you especially with YOUR car where you get to practice every week or so....

Yeah, Oregon and New Jersey -- backwards and reactionary.

The cities are in the Willamette Valley, the coast is relatively unpopulated. The central/eastern part of the state is extremely rural with the exception of Bend, near the place we fly rockets.

Well, Oregonians sometimes launch rockets at other sites <grin>. However, there is a Sun station on US 20, on the way east out of Bend, where the attendants who pump your gas wear uniforms -- including little brimless caps. Its picturesque. Its quaint. It is, I suspect, occasionally humiliating for the folks who work there.

While Jim sneaks up on the group of hippos in the river, we'll hover overhead in the helicopter and watch. Oh, the hippos seem to be agitated for some reason, let's move closer to see why. Oh my, they seem to have spotted Jim and are really not happy. Let's hover even closer to the water to see if we can spot the source of their agitation. Maybe a crocodile is nearby. Wow, they are really upset now! Let's move even closer so I can yell at Jim and tell him to look out for crocodiles! Ahhh... does anyone see Jim? I thought he was right where the biggest of the hippos is eating something. Hmmm...

Captain Technicality stepping in here. The hippos didn't eat Jim--they're herbivores. They just chewed him up with their 8" tusks and spit him out dead. Fun fact: hippos kill more people than crocodiles in East Africa.

One of my favorite comments went something like "People just don't understand! We're Oregon and we have our own way of doing things that we like. Texas and whoever can go right back to goosestepping with everyone else!"

Which is -I believe- the ONly time I've heard my home state be put in the category of "goosestepper" :lol:

You clearly don't spend enough time on the Left Coast! :p Actually, goosestepper is pretty rare. Other insults, not so much.

I lived in Washington for 50 plus years, moved down here to Oregon, and this seems very wierd to me. The interesting thing is, gas costs less here than it did in in my self serv home state. Go figure.

Paul B.

I think it's a difference in gas taxes. OR has income taxes though so it probably all evens out.

Oh I could believe and understand the rationale behind most of the pejoratives aimed at Texas. Being special often attracts such :D

But "one of the crowd"? That's a new one for me lol

And thanks RocketFeller for clarifying my towns/counties mistake. Your defense of Oregon's principles does your state proud! :cool:

Last edited:
One of my favorite comments went something like "People just don't understand! We're Oregon and we have our own way of doing things that we like. Texas and whoever can go right back to goosestepping with everyone else!"

Well, the goosestepping thing is weird -- maybe the commenter wrote "two-stepping" and it got autocorrected? I wonder, though, if the commenter is in Portland, and picked on Texas because of astonishing numbers of TX plates we see on cars around town these days? Lots of former Texans up here, all of whom seem to drive for Uber and Lyft and Amazon Now trying to make the criminally high rents. Lately it feels like we are being colonized by folks moving up from the south. People with strange customs, strange ways of speaking. People who seem unwilling to assimilate to a proper Oregonian way of life. How long, we wonder, will it be before we all have to pump our own gas? How long before Burgerville gives way to In-N-Out and McMenamins all turn into Dave and Buster's, before our children are forced to learn to speak Texan or Californian in schools paid for with our tax dollars?

W...I lived near Portland for most of a year. There are fewer service stations in general, and there were nearly always lines of cars waiting for gas. A quick stop for gas here that might take ~8 minutes, would usually be 20 - 45 minutes in Oregon. During my time living there, I saw more gas spilled (gallons not splashes) than I have in ~40 years of pumping my own (yeah, pumps don't alway shut off automatically - and the attendent is off serving a car two lanes over). Plus, during that time, they forgot to replace my gas cap three times. If you're planning to use cash, the attendants aren't (or weren't at the time) allowed to handle cash, so you'd have to get out of your car anyway to go inside to the register. (And if they aren't trusted with cash, are you really ok with them walking off with your card?)

I don't think the cash-inside thing is about trusting the attendants. I think its more about where the cash-register is. Even in regressive self-service states, gas stations frequently have rules about pre-paying inside if you use cash, or charge more for credit card purchases than for cash purchases.

Take the anecdotal evidence FWIW, but I've lived in Portland for a lot longer than a year. I cannot remember ever waiting in line for gas in town. I don't time my wait at the pump, but I've never been late for work because the attendant was slow to get to me. And the only gas cap I've lost was stolen in a parking lot (in Washington) when somebody siphoned a couple of gallons from my tank -- back in 2007 or 2008.

How long before Burgerville gives way to In-N-Out and McMenamins all turn into Dave and Buster's, before our children are forced to learn to speak Texan or Californian in schools paid for with our tax dollars?

I for one support a remote Whataburger outpost to cater to the Texpatriots of the area as well as expanding the Portlandian fast food palate.

Man, I was originally hesitant to start this thread, but no regrets now! This is great

Some of the comments are funny, but I love visiting Oregon and except for those Oregon drivers that feel the need to pull too close in front of me after passing me on the interstate, I really like Oregonians.
Someday it’ll be Montanans in the spit. No State is perfect.

I distinctly remember the large, young gas station attendant removing the nozzle from the pump and sheepishly handing it to little ol' me so I could stick it in the dented, scratched and rusted tank of my '82 dirt bike because he knew bikers wouldn't want anyone else getting gas on their pant leg or scratching the tank.

Any law that regularly causes such ludicrous social interactions is probably due for review.

He also informed me I wouldn't get to Brothers and back on that little tank. I just replied, "It worked yesterday. It'll probably work again today."

when I started reading this thread my thoughts were; that the earth would surely be rent asunder...then I heard about the 4.5 earthquake in san fran this morning...
Rex

when I started reading this thread my thoughts were; that the earth would surely be rent asunder...then I heard about the 4.5 earthquake in san fran this morning...
Rex

That's about it too. Nothing life changing one way or another. Surely life will find a way.

Are they still selling un-greeting cards? I remember seeing a number of them when I was in school there in the 70's. Those pictures remind me of horrible the place is...

I see what you are doing there! Not going to work, I've been eye-ing OR or WA for my retirement, no way I'll stay in California.

Oregon Sucks.....now go home and tell your friends &#128512;

@Rocketfeller, hey Dan is your dog a Sheepadoodle by chance?

Well, the goosestepping thing is weird -- maybe the commenter wrote "two-stepping" and it got autocorrected? I wonder, though, if the commenter is in Portland, and picked on Texas because of astonishing numbers of TX plates we see on cars around town these days? Lots of former Texans up here, all of whom seem to drive for Uber and Lyft and Amazon Now trying to make the criminally high rents. Lately it feels like we are being colonized by folks moving up from the south. People with strange customs, strange ways of speaking. People who seem unwilling to assimilate to a proper Oregonian way of life. How long, we wonder, will it be before we all have to pump our own gas? How long before Burgerville gives way to In-N-Out and McMenamins all turn into Dave and Buster's, before our children are forced to learn to speak Texan or Californian in schools paid for with our tax dollars?

I don't think the cash-inside thing is about trusting the attendants. I think its more about where the cash-register is. Even in regressive self-service states, gas stations frequently have rules about pre-paying inside if you use cash, or charge more for credit card purchases than for cash purchases.

Take the anecdotal evidence FWIW, but I've lived in Portland for a lot longer than a year. I cannot remember ever waiting in line for gas in town. I don't time my wait at the pump, but I've never been late for work because the attendant was slow to get to me. And the only gas cap I've lost was stolen in a parking lot (in Washington) when somebody siphoned a couple of gallons from my tank -- back in 2007 or 2008.

Full disclosure - it was ~20 years ago, and my gas cap wasn't attached with one of those dangly thingies.

I see what you are doing there! Not going to work, I've been eye-ing OR or WA for my retirement, no way I'll stay in California.

Your 401(k) savings will last longer in Michigan -- plus which you might not have to lie about being from California. (also HERE)

-d6c879ffa3d044f8.JPG

Seriously - Oregon: Come for the real-estate bubble! Stay for the Cascadia Subduction Zone Megathrust Earthquake!

Last edited:
I lived in Washington for 50 plus years, moved down here to Oregon, and this seems very wierd to me. The interesting thing is, gas costs less here than it did in in my self serv home state. Go figure.

Paul B.

Well yeah, WA has to make up for lack of a state income tax somehow.

Where has Oregon, boy
Where has Oregon
If you wan Al-ask-a
Al-ask-a where she's gone
She went to pay her Texas
That's where she has gone

What did Delaware? She wore a New Jersey. What did Tennessee? She saw what Arkansas. Where did Maryland? She landed where Massachusetts.

Oregon Sucks.....now go home and tell your friends [emoji3]

@Rocketfeller, hey Dan is your dog a Sheepadoodle by chance?

You're close. She is a Portuguese Water Dod, but always gets mistaken for a -doodle of some kind. Her name is Olive and she is an ill-behaved cur. We love her anyhow...

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

What the hell heck is that site? It appears to be a parody of something, but of what?

Ignoring the patently untrue assertion that folks from New Jersey are not universally derided as bumpkins, the silly comparison to full-service restaurants, and the editorial decision not to replace "petrol" with "gasoline" in the text of a piece who's author opines that Oregonians are NOT precious elitists out-of-touch with 'Real 'Merica' -- there is a sort of meta-commentary on the way that Facebook turned this into a news story about the reaction to a news story embedded in this opinion piece

Why is in newsworthy that an unknown number of people posted ill-considered comments to the Facebook page of a small market TV station? It made Forbes and the Washington Post, for pete's sake -- and almost every story seems to omit, or elide, the history or rationale for the law in favor of reporting on the silly comments from "The Internet".

https://xkcd.com/202/

What the hell heck is that site? It appears to be a parody of something, but of what?

I took it as a man who never used a self serve pump before and was clueless to operating it. So, he probably did figure it out by taking a leap of faith.

Back