Oh wow, look what's on my bench this week

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WARNING! That warm blue "VU" glow can induce flashbacks. :wink: Very nice.

Yea, I remember back in the 70's walking around the stereo shops looking at all the equipment. You could piece together the system you wanted--amps, pre-amps, turntables, reel to reel and speakers (if you had the money and shelf space). I got a nice Pioneer system from a friend of mine who got into trouble with the law for having some "contraband" in his car and needed money. Still have the system.

This one is blown. The heck. Up.

It's getting all 24 output transistors replaced, because every single one of them is currently less than one ohm from any terminal to any other. Dead shorts internally. All 24 of them.

And the transistors in there now are counterfeit! They show all the telltale clues - above and beyond the obvious fact that they didn't stand up to this application worth a hoot.

And much else to be gone thru, almost a clean sweep with an eye to some slight tweaks (some fresh/better caps & a few resistors for sure).

I got my system in 1974 and only had to have it repaired once back in the mid 80's. Sometimes in the middle off the night, aloud POP would come out off the speakers with the system off ( I finally had to unplug the speakers after realizing the apartment wasn't haunted). Took it to a electronics repair shop (not many of those left around now), where a bad capacitor was replaced. I can't believe this is the only issue I've had with the amp, because it got moved around a lot back in the day.

I'm not going to admit to anything other than Carl has good taste. And at one time I had to buy a separate insurance policy on my 'system'.

For anyone interested I finally got the rebuild done and it really came out nice. This is a VERY powerful amplifier.

I wrote up a PDF of the final test procedure and have attached it here for the nerdier amongst us :wink:

View attachment 341691

Carl, define powerful. As the owner of a Crown Powerbase 2 that is bridged into an 8 ohm load for my bass guitar rig- powerful is relative

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back