Looking for Andy Schecter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBic

Reaction score
I'm trying to find an individual who may be a current or past member of this forum named Andy Schecter. I don't know for sure whether he was active here, but have seen his name referred to on several posts. Any help pointing me in his direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Paul Bickford (PBic)

I'm trying to find an individual who may be a current or past member of this forum named Andy Schecter. I don't know for sure whether he was active here, but have seen his name referred to on several posts. Any help pointing me in his direction would be greatly appreciated.Thanks much!Paul Bickford (PBic)

He is (or was) on Facebook recently, so you could try that. Andy had been very active in HPR for years, he was in numerous videos with other folks in the Rochester NY area (Buffalo NY Rocket Society) inc. Ray Halm.
Not sure Andy is really in Mongolia as his Facebook stated, that would however match his sense of humor if he wasn't.

Asides from the Earl Cagle Point 39 LDRS videos and Kyle Michaelson's interview with him on his videos, there was an episode of American Journey called "The Rocket Man" that followed Ray Halm and Andy Shecter and friends all the way from Halm's back yard -where they were building his 1/2 scale Aries project - out to LDRS XVIII at Argonia KS back in 1999.
At that time a four "M" motor project had not been done, so it was one of those envelope pushing flights.
They have nice launch footage of Andy's "M" Fatboy, John Ritz's Flying Tetrahedron, among others, and comments by Kyle Michelson and Ed LaCroix.
Also in the episode can be seen lots of familiar faces from the earlier days of Lucerne.
If that group is still together there may be some members here than can let you know.
I think Andy was in the agricultural science business - corn products of some sort.

Andy Nike Hercules Launch--1998 Muncie Indiana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R63ujITj1o

Last edited:
Andy is on Facebook and not in Mongolia. He lives in the Rochester, NY area. He is the owner of a soy processing company (Soy Boy).

Thanks very much MaxQ. Nice video! You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I should be able to find some contact info from that.

Thank you too Duane! I'll check Rochester before heading out to Mongolia.

Until he posts, I'll venture a guess, based on that avatar/pic.
Something to do with a Nike Hercules?

You guessed it. I looking for info on a 4x38mm clustered to single 38/54mm version of the Herc. Several years ago I found a thread started by someone building to that scale that really looked like 1st class craftsmanship. I don't remember whether it was YORF, here, or elsewhere. Unfortunately that thread got basically hijacked and the OP kind of gave up on it. I can't even find remnants of the original, so I'm pasting around looking for another source of knowledge. The video you referred me to of his launch had the most realistic staging delay I've seen.

I will add that a project of this scope is well beyond my current skillset, but before anything else slips into the internet void, I'd like to collect a body of knowledge around that particular missile (notice I didn't say rocket. Nothing made the instructors more mad than referring it to as a rocket). I've been all over Wedge Oldham's site, and there’s tons of great info there, but the scale is way beyond my means.

Thanks again MaxQ!

I was there for the launch of Andy's Nike-Herc (twice I think). I got a good look at it while he was prepping. The staging was done with an RC unit manually. (When it didn't stage, I thought his finger was going to go through the control unit and come out the other side!). I would *really* have to dig deep to locate any photos I took.

In 20 years since he build it, the hobby has come a long ways with materials, electronics, and techniques. Plus more motor choices.

My suggestion is to work on the skills needed for the big project by practicing on non-scale rockets. Composite clustering, and composite staging. Then build a "boilerplate" smaller version of the Nike-Hercules.

There's a lot of scale data around if you want to make it more scale-like. I also like within 30 miles or so from two real ones on display.

Any one remember Andy's Pinhead and phallic rockets???:w:

Kyle interviewed Andy at length on the Pinhead in his Rocketman video of that LDRS....conical rocket that was kinda like a Sprint ABM.
Here's Andy's report on it from LDRS 2000:

On Sunday I made my first flight. It was a scratchbuilt rocket called Pinhead on
an Aerotech M2500. Since the rocket only weighed 41 lbs at liftoff, this was
definitely a high performance flight! It was also pretty high tech, with two
blacksky PRM's, two RDAS accelerometers, two Walston radio units and a pitot
tube on the nose. When the button was pushed it screamed skyward at a stupendous
rate. But somewhere around burnout it simply disintegrated in a cloud of
cardboard and fiberglass. Total destruction! The RDAS data suggests that the
disaster was inititated by a drag separation of the nosecone, despite the fact
that the nose was held on with styrene shear pins. I guess they weren't strong
enough. *:-(
Oh well, I learned a lot from this flight. I'll fly a little smarter next time.
I guess if you stick your cojones out far enough, they're gonna get kicked!
:-0

Thanks John. Sounds like good advise. Clustering and staging it is.

Paul B.

You guessed it. I looking for info on a 4x38mm clustered to single 38/54mm version of the Herc. Several years ago I found a thread started by someone building to that scale that really looked like 1st class craftsmanship. I don't remember whether it was YORF, here, or elsewhere. Unfortunately that thread got basically hijacked and the OP kind of gave up on it. I can't even find remnants of the original, so I'm pasting around looking for another source of knowledge. The video you referred me to of his launch had the most realistic staging delay I've seen.

I will add that a project of this scope is well beyond my current skillset, but before anything else slips into the internet void, I'd like to collect a body of knowledge around that particular missile (notice I didn't say rocket. Nothing made the instructors more mad than referring it to as a rocket). I've been all over Wedge Oldham's site, and there’s tons of great info there, but the scale is way beyond my means.
Thanks again MaxQ!

No problem, glad to help.
I inherited a 4"sustainer with a 38mm MMT that one of the young builders that used to post here quite a bit had Sandman (Gordon of Roachworks) turn out of balsa wood.

A two stager would really benefit from dual deployment on the sustainer....I couldn't figure out how to fit an electronics bay and droque and main in the very limited space in the sustainer.
Jolly Logic chute releases are a game changer for dual deployment now. If I get around to tackling it again I'll make a post.

Here was the dinged up sustainer in primer, undergoing filler and sanding...and a sketch of the limited internal length (in yellow) ......which had me scratching my head.
Even after drilling out the solid balsa nose cone there wasn't much to work with internally.
A chute release is on my to do li$t.
Nike Hercules parts.JPG Nike%20Hercules%20-%204%20Inch%20dia.JPG

Last edited:
Good luck on the project. I am working on a scratch 4x29mm to 1x29mm two stage Nike Herc currently, the electronics I am hiding in the sustainers boattail, and the sustainer is 3" max OD.

NikeHerc100.jpgNikeHerc94.jpg

Very nice Rich! Looks like you're using a PET2+ for second stage initiation. I'd love to get a look at your interstage coupling. Hope that's not too personel, some guy you don't know asking what's in between your stages...

...build thread, .....searching for build thread..... :drool: :wink:
Alright MaxQ, I will copy my build thread from my clubs forum to here on TRF. My clubs forum is maxed on photos so I cant finish it there. If I have time I will do it tonight.

Hey, thanks Rich! Never let it be said you weren't welcoming to the newbies. Glad you put a date on those entrys. I might be a bit intimidated if you got all that done in a single day. :surprised: :jaw:

Paul B.

Hey, thanks Rich! Never let it be said you weren't welcoming to the newbies. Glad you put a date on those entrys. I might be a bit intimidated if you got all that done in a single day. :surprised: :jaw:

Paul B.
Welcome Paul! I had 6 weeks home on short term disability after surgery for recovery, so a lot of time was spent building rockets (15 or so) the Herc is kind of a special treat for me. It should only take 3-5 hours to finish from here.

Back