2018 Goals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exactimator

Reaction score
I believe EXPJawa typically starts these threads but I haven't seen one yet and I'm impatient so here are a few of mine:

1. Hit 3 miles altitude. Our club waiver got raised to 18,000 feet. I might as well have fun with that.

2. I want to spend more time helping others with their stuff. Cert flights, getting into dual deploy, etc. My past launches were always with an agenda at each one (launch at least 3 times, launch all these rockets, those motors). Now that I got my L3 I feel like I can step back and help out others. Last launch I spent a decent amount of time helping a fellow club member find a rocket that drifted far away. We were joined by another member who can find needles in haystacks. It was a good learning experience for me and I was glad I could help.

3. Spend more time helping out at our low power field. I usually leave that field at the end of a launch feeling very satisfied, and I don't even launch any of my own rockets. My favorite parts are when kids cheer the launches, families ask about coming back or how to get more into rocketry because they've had so much fun.

2017 worked pretty well for me, lets see how this goes.

--Fly Big SAM (L1 rocket) on another I
--Fly Vertigo II (electronic Ventris) on an H
--Fly Fissile Missile (electronic Argent) on an H
--Complete H.A.P.I. (electronic Partizon), train myself with the RRC3 in it, and fly it on an H
--Build Broncbuster III (Scion to Leviathan refit), fly it on an H And Don't Lose It.......
--Build the 4" Phoenix I got in SS '17, fly it at least once
--Build the GBI mk24 and see if induction stabilization scales up
--Certify Level 2 at NARAM with Long Tom the modified Loc Cruiser.
--Get another 13mm rocket

**Bonus round: Do not lose Rockets!**

Start using my GPS tracker

Successful mach and mile flights

Build the Drago and fly it on the K2050ST

That would make for a great year. Everything else is gravy.

I managed 6 for 10 last year. I did say "Build" not "finish and fly" :)

This year will be easy. I don't really have a lot going on. Don't see L3 anywhere in my future. L2 has some good size motors.

Finish and fly my Viper IV. Which will also get me into clusters and air starts.
Get my 3DR figured out and get real time altitude and velocity.

A few possibilities:

A K motor in the Tyrannosaur (no motor tube that size yet)
Start my 5" stubby project (still gathering parts)
Hit a mile. (requires hardware/rocket combinations I don't have)

So yeah, not much on my To-Do list. Just have fun and burn money.

Hit 1 mile in altitude.
Break mach 1.
Fly my first dual deploy rocket.
Fly my first HPR rocket.
_______

Thanks,

Goals held over from last year
Build and fly a MD rocket (I'm still a chicken)
Break mach 1
HPR 2 stage (I've failed twice with MPR electronic staging, but practice makes perfect.)

New goals for this year
Get more experience tracking rockets that fly out of sight
Fly a rocket on a KNSB motor

Most important goal
Keep my kids building things instead of playing video games!

For 2018:

1 mile
Mach 1
Try some Loki 38mm
Keep tyring different things.

That's it.
Not going for L2 this year though until I can justify $50/flight or more.

1) Continue to help out with Tripoli Motor Test.
2) Continue Helping with ThrustCurve.
3) Fly more than I have the last couple of years.
4) Spend less time online talking about the hobby, and more time doing the hobby.
5) Finish the 38mm MD I have started, and fly it.
6) Make more launches, and help a greater number of new/less experienced flyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Going to be a limited year for me.

Definate goals-
MAC Zodiac 54mm, Fly on a 38/1200 load.
Paint everything that's piled up.
Optima 29mm cluster on H220T
Make and fly some 29mm and 38mm EX

possible goals-
build 4" Wildman Extreme
Build Mongoose 75
obtain hardware for above and fly

Sell off some unused kits/things I'll never fly.

Well, I'll just copy/paste my 2017 goals as goals for 2018.....

But, I did pickup a bunch of 76mm hardware, built the Zodiac and flew it on a 38mm 2 grain (not 1200)

Didn't paint the stockpile, sold the 75mm 'goose, no H220T optima flight. Did make a couple EX.

so to add for 2018-

Fly my L3
get my Vacuum setup and make many 38/740s
make a couple 76/3500's
Fly the CF Optima on a K1127 or J1026.

Build and fly my Double Shot. I got it for Christmas last year.

That reminds me of what I need to do this year . . . Build a camera mount for the Panasonic Action Cam I got for Christmas a year ago.

* Have my son or I fly a 2 stage at every local launch this year - need the practice for his long term project.
* internally mount and fly a camera
* build and fly $99 MC Nike-Apache using additional 3D printed parts to add scale details
Stretch goals:
* Fly hybrid
* make & fly ex motor

Sent from my LG-V521 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I believe EXPJawa typically starts these threads but I haven't seen one yet and I'm impatient so here are a few of mine:

I only did that once, so no worries on who starts it.

So far, I only have a couple:
1) build a 4" Bertha upscale prior to the NAR national sport launch in May, since it'll be local and Vern Estes will be there
2) design / build a semi-scale Black Brant IV, based on the BT60 Black Brant III that I built a couple years ago

I'd still like to attempt a Saturn V prior to Apollo 11's 50th anniversary, but the Estes kit has been discontinued again, so I may consider Apogee's kit. It seems like something that I should start this year if I'm going to do it.

1. Re-fly my L3 rocket at MWP on another M1969 sparky (too fun not to share).
2. Scratch build and fly an HPR SAAB-RBS15 with strap-on boosters.
3. Set up my motor characterization platform.
4. Start making 29-38mm EX motors.
5. Get my Technician's License and learn more about tracking.

A couple copied from 2017 even though only 4 launches attended 2017 was a great year. This year will be busy so scaling back to train for a sprint triathlon and starting a new job today.

2018 goals:
#1- make all rockets I have flyable.
#2 - Scratch build a Mitsubishi H-2A
#3 - help with my sons QCC Upscale
#4 - Volunteer again at a launch
#5 - fly my 54MD
#6 - this may not happen but fly an N - I’ve flown A~O except for an N

Rebuild my Formula 200. Start making M motors for it without needing the help/resources of my mentor. Help out with the really big flights (Tom's Big Blue and Feckless' 3/4 Merc Redstone). LCO more. See my kids get to the point where they can load and launch without my help.

Sometimes the goal list just gets smaller and, smaller each year.

Rocketry wise- I plan to attend Mini Midwest Power in Princeton Illinois and, of course Midwest Power later in the year. At this time i have no other events planned. (Unless Sabrina needs me in Vis-Kon-Sin...:eek:)

Life wise- Plant more trees and, constantly work hard on keeping my little Tree Farm in top shape. Travel more....Using my vacation time to see people/places i really want to see before time runs out.

Racing wise- Ever since i bought my Hellcat Challenger...I've gone back to my evil ways. I've spent way too much time out in the shop preparing the car for 1/2 mile, 1 mile Speed Runs and, more than a few visits to the Dragstrip. As a matter of fact i spent most of this weekend working in my heated shop building horsepower while the world around me was sitting at -11 degrees outside.

Model Rocketry has always been very dear to me over the years...It all started in a little town in Wisconsin flying Estes Rockets in abandoned ball fields back in the 70's.
It took me into a career in the Air Force maintaining Nuclear ICBM's and, assisting with Space Launches and, with that i was never so responsible in my life for anything i have ever done......before or since.

Along the way i helped form a Tripoli Prefect with several great people and, watched it grow into something unbelievable over a short time. Tripoli bestowed upon me an honor when it made me a TAP and, that will continue on as long as i feel that i can do the job...

Over the years there have been many road trips....Donations of motors, a lot of time/money spent on Diesel/Motels/Food just to be there-
MANY great friendships...Life long friendships with some of the BEST people i would have never met without this hobby...
Thank-you...

Last night i came back to the forum (since MWP 15) to make a comment about the latest Star Wars movie-
Something happened along the way. What was a fun discussion...turned into a major editing and, deletion of mine and, others postings.

With that being said, i would like to say that i feel that i won't be coming here and, IF you need to reach me- I can be found on the Tripoli TAP listing for contact info. Or just ask, if you don't know how to reach me...someone knows how to. I can be found.

It has been a long and, winding road filled with great learning...friendships...many fun times....many more to come...
But, not here.
Bless you all, i look forward to seeing you in a field somewhere down the road of life.

Good bye...my friends...:sigh:Good bye.

Didn't post on the 2017 thread, guess I didn't have any goals. :) Well, I definitely had one, and checked it off before the end of the year, flew my first 2-stage flight, and it was a success. But looking back at my 2016 goals:

Left-over from last year:
1) Get my L2
2) >1 mile
3) First night launch

New this year:
4) > mach 1
5) Go to my first LDRS
6) Ideally later this year get my L3

#1 and #2 were taken care of, still haven't finished the rocket for #3, have some 3D printing to do before I can put the rest of the parts together. With LDRS only ~2 hours away from me this year I'm definitely going, would really like to have this rocket ready to fly for the LDRS night launch, but I need to get moving to get that done in time. #5 also got checked off in 2016 (and will again this year). So for this year it's basically (in order of desire):

A) Recover my upwards trend of Ns burned per-year
B) Have rockets more prepared before launches (helps towards (A))
C) More 2-stage flights (hoping for flight #2 on the Osprey 75 2-stage this coming weekend @ Snow Ranch)
D) >2 miles (waiting for Featherweight's new tracker I think)
E) First night launch
F) Finish the rest of my build/repair pile (including my first tube-fin)
G) >mach 1 (would rather not do it at the same time as (D))
H) Maybe get started on my L3

On (F), I have a Double Shot that just needs some finishing touches on the booster, my Binder Excel that ruptured its upper airframe on a rough landing 10/2016 (have the replacement tube but need to fill the spirals and prime/paint it), a custom tube-fin rocket I ordered through MAC Performance last BF/BS, a customized Madcow X-celerator just ordered this BF, and my night launch rocket which is a Mini-Magg. The L3 rocket is a customized Punisher 4", I've had the pieces sitting in my living room for over 2 years now, so that one's covered by (H) not (F).

Sometimes the goal list just gets smaller and, smaller each year.

Rocketry wise- I plan to attend Mini Midwest Power in Princeton Illinois and, of course Midwest Power later in the year. At this time i have no other events planned. (Unless Sabrina needs me in Vis-Kon-Sin...:eek:)

Life wise- Plant more trees and, constantly work hard on keeping my little Tree Farm in top shape. Travel more....Using my vacation time to see people/places i really want to see before time runs out.

Racing wise- Ever since i bought my Hellcat Challenger...I've gone back to my evil ways. I've spent way too much time out in the shop preparing the car for 1/2 mile, 1 mile Speed Runs and, more than a few visits to the Dragstrip. As a matter of fact i spent most of this weekend working in my heated shop building horsepower while the world around me was sitting at -11 degrees outside.

Model Rocketry has always been very dear to me over the years...It all started in a little town in Wisconsin flying Estes Rockets in abandoned ball fields back in the 70's.
It took me into a career in the Air Force maintaining Nuclear ICBM's and, assisting with Space Launches and, with that i was never so responsible in my life for anything i have ever done......before or since.

Along the way i helped form a Tripoli Prefect with several great people and, watched it grow into something unbelievable over a short time. Tripoli bestowed upon me an honor when it made me a TAP and, that will continue on as long as i feel that i can do the job...

Over the years there have been many road trips....Donations of motors, a lot of time/money spent on Diesel/Motels/Food just to be there-
MANY great friendships...Life long friendships with some of the BEST people i would have never met without this hobby...
Thank-you...

Last night i came back to the forum (since MWP 15) to make a comment about the latest Star Wars movie-
Something happened along the way. What was a fun discussion...turned into a major editing and, deletion of mine and, others postings.

With that being said, i would like to say that i feel that i won't be coming here and, IF you need to reach me- I can be found on the Tripoli TAP listing for contact info. Or just ask, if you don't know how to reach me...someone knows how to. I can be found.

It has been a long and, winding road filled with great learning...friendships...many fun times....many more to come...
But, not here.
Bless you all, i look forward to seeing you in a field somewhere down the road of life.

Good bye...my friends...:sigh:Good bye.

Wish I would’ve found the HPR hobby many years ago, before had left TRF . sorry to see you go my friend. I got ur cell so u can’t go to far :)

Back