2018 The Return of the Return of the year of the bike part two: Electric bogaloo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kallahan11

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided to steal this thread this year and figured I would change things up (I hope no one minds), and in the spirit of stealing things I've figured we could do a similar thread to the NS tally thread, where every so often you update your progress like that, only instead of NS we're doing miles. See who can beat me to H-motor this year. My personal goal for the year is 3501, a kilomile more than last year, though I would like to break into M motor territory. First one to get to N motor territory I will legit get you a rocket kit of your choice up to $100 bucks. Anyone who wants to ride with me on Zwift (Ryan Smith) or Rouvy (Kallahan11 I prefer this program to Zwift, but I'll use either to ride with people). Also anyone in West Michigan that wants to ride road or mountain give me a PM and we'll set something up!

[FONT=&amp]...... R-Motor ................. 328000.0 Mi[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]...... Q-Motor ................. 163840.0 Mi
...... P-Motor .................. 81920.0 Mi
...... O-Motor .................. 40960.0
Mi
...... N-Motor .................. 20480.0
Mi
...... M-Motor .................. 10240.0
Mi
...... L-Motor ................... 5120.0
Mi
...... K-Motor ................... 2560.0
Mi
...... J-Motor ................... 1280.0
Mi
...... I-Motor .................... 640.0
Mi
...... H-Motor .................... 320.0
Mi
Kallahan11............................0.0 Mi

[/FONT]

As the original owner - I am honored someone picked up the baton for 2018 and the motor rating just rocks as an idea!

Allez!

I don't have any specific plans beyond hearing the sweet sound of cleats locking to the pedals.

Though I do have a few goals

1) I want to get together with Stan Sensesy and ride some of the beautiful areas he has showcased on Facebook.
2) I want to do at least one century
3) Lord willing, 2018 miles.(or a K)

Remember folks, this is about the joy of riding a bike. If you can't enjoy it, please go find a glue thread!

2018 is the Year of the Bike Tax in Portland, OR.

$15 fee for every bike sale over $200.
It's another poorly written law, but the idea is in the right place.
A large and growing percentage of our local road improvements go to bike lanes and such while they pay nothing for these - about time we TRY to get the users to pay....

Not against bikes - but they need to SHARE the road. Which means paying for them and obeying the rules of the road. So tired of hearing about bikes hit in crosswalks.............

I have zero problem paying a user fee for the roads I ride on. I tend more towards rail trails, however I pay that through various organizations. My only ask is that if you tax me as a vehicle, then grant me the same rights as a vehicle. You hit me with your car, expect no less punishment than if you hit another car or a pedestrian.

Ryan,

What are the pros & cons of Rouvy vs. Zwift? I need to see if my trainer and sensors work with either.

Al

Rouvy allows you to ride real roads/trails, instead of a video game like interface you either follow a map or a video. You can record and upload your own rides by importing a .gpx or .tcx file and match it with your own video. As a result there are thousands of different rides, you wanna climb hills? every catagory hill in the world has at least route, usually a video. It does workouts and such as well. It is still subsciption based, I don't know if they have a free version but I know there are two subscrtiption levels. Rouvy used to be known as Virtual Trainer BTW.

Also first ride of the year done

...... R-Motor ................. 328000.0 Mi
...... Q-Motor ................. 163840.0 Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Kallahan11............................15.0 Mi

Who makes a good single speed bike now days? I would want free wheeling when I am not pedaling.
You mean like those track bikes that are currently the rage? Where do you plan on riding? Unless it is totally flat, a single gear bike is going to be heck on your knees.

Just looking for a well made single speed bike. My riding would be mostly flat. something to get a little exercise around the block.

Well, first off.....I'm probably ahead of all of you already because I started off my New Year with a morning ride. WAY cold, but a great way to open the new year in my book. But this will also likely be my last post in this "competition" though. I'm generally don't ride with a computer, nor keep track of miles. And I definitely don't use software stuff like Zwift and all that. I just ride....sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. But I don't keep track. So, I'll enjoy my lead for this brief moment, and then let it go.

Second...Crossfire, there are a TON of different options out there, in all sorts of styles...from upright cruisers to racy crit types to urban utility etc, etc. And that's not to mention all the fixee types (that I know you aren't looking for). Drop bars?, flat bars? upright swept bars? ??? Tell us more about how you want to ride, what sort of conditions, whether you value utility or performance, and of course what sort of budget you are comfortable with (you could spend as little as $150 and up to easily many thousands depending on a lot of factors).

All that said, a great option I would recommend you look at is the All-City Nature Boy. Versatile, good quality, well designed/built, and dang cool. You could spend a lot more, and you could spend a fair bit less, but this one sits in a nice sweet spot on the quality/price scale. I would start here and then go in which ever direction works for you as far as things like features/price/quality/capability/etc.

ALL bikes are good bikes; whether or not it's the right bike depends on the application.

s6

Just looking for a well made single speed bike. My riding would be mostly flat. something to get a little exercise around the block.

I can make two suggestions.

• The Electra 1 by Townie this is about as simple as I have recently seen.
  • The Circa 1 by Raleigh - a bit more than you asked for, however my wife and I have Raleigh beach cruisers in addition to carbon fiber road bikes and fitness hybrids. They are a truckload of "lord god I want to go out and don't want to play dress up for the Tour de France" fun. And each of us has ridden over 50 miles on these 30+ pound behemoths. We call them the Barcaloungers on wheels.

I do not think, outside of WalMart, you will find any of the original coaster brake rides. One thing to be aware of, and I sensed it above. There is a special term used in the bike community for a single speed bike . "Fixie" refers to a single speed bike however it does not free wheel and most have no brakes. The chain is locked to the hub and you can actually pedal backwards on one.

There is a special term used in the bike community for a single speed bike . "Fixie" refers to a single speed bike however it does not free wheel and most have no brakes. The chain is locked to the hub and you can actually pedal backwards on one.

Nope. You can only pedal backwards if you want to go backwards....there's no freewheel in the hub, so it's direct drive. the wheel only rotates if you pedal and you WILL pedal if the tire rotates. I've actually taken a bike and put a rear wheel that has a track hub (the original Sun Tour SuperBee Pro) The rear derailleur is not hooked up to shifters, it merely acts as a chain tensioner, because the hub has a gear on either side. I run a 13 and a 18. If you want to shift you gotta get off and spin the wheel around. By far the center of fixie riding is NYC, with a multitude of fixie lines, originally catering for bike messengers but now embraced by the mainstream. I remember when I was a younger rider going into the city for the early season crits, the fixies could identify what borough they were from by the brand.
I looked at my old training logs, hit N a bunch of times but never got to O. I was training 35-40 hours a week plus racing weekends from college season thru cross. I couldn't imagine what it would take to get to O....112.2 miles each and every day, no rest days....I'm cramping just considering it.

Nope. You can only pedal backwards if you want to go backwards....there's no freewheel in the hub, so it's direct drive. the wheel only rotates if you pedal and you WILL pedal if the tire rotates. I've actually taken a bike and put a rear wheel that has a track hub (the original Sun Tour SuperBee Pro) The rear derailleur is not hooked up to shifters, it merely acts as a chain tensioner, because the hub has a gear on either side. I run a 13 and a 18. If you want to shift you gotta get off and spin the wheel around. By far the center of fixie riding is NYC, with a multitude of fixie lines, originally catering for bike messengers but now embraced by the mainstream. I remember when I was a younger rider going into the city for the early season crits, the fixies could identify what borough they were from by the brand.
I looked at my old training logs, hit N a bunch of times but never got to O. I was training 35-40 hours a week plus racing weekends from college season thru cross. I couldn't imagine what it would take to get to O....112.2 miles each and every day, no rest days....I'm cramping just considering it.

You want to think about cramping? the world year distance record is 86,537 Miles by Amanda Coker, just barely into Q territory.

Started the year with 3467.7 miles on the Electric Boogaloo's odometer. When I get home, I'll be solidly in B territory with 4 miles. No promises on how much I'll ride, since my commute is now 4 miles round trip and I'll be working from home more this year.

Broke into H motor territory Sunday, Looks like I'll hit I before Feb 1

Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Kallahan11............................162.0 Mi

I Motor range, planning on hitting J in Feb, hopefully K by April. Distances will skyrocket when I can get outside more. We'll see how things are in April, I may adjust my goal.

Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Kallahan11.........................327.0 Mi
Mi

Last edited:
After a disappointing February, where I took some big time off to deal with the flu, I'm back at it for march, new march goal is 640 which should be easy with the weather turning here in Michigan (I say this as we are expecting snow tonight). 446/3500. Don't be shy fellow cyclists post your miles!

Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Kallahan11.........................446.0 Mi
Mi

After a disappointing March and April weather wise, finally started putting in decent miles again at the end of April doing 34 miles on my 34th birthday April 29th., which put me into I territory. Should start rocketing up now that I've got my legs back and the weather turned. Should break a kilomile this month, got to catch up on my goal I'm 505 miles behind target.

Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Mi
Kallahan11.........................665.0 Mi
Mi

Mi

After a disappointing March and April weather wise, finally started putting in decent miles again at the end of April doing 34 miles on my 34th birthday April 29th., which put me into I territory. Should start rocketing up now that I've got my legs back and the weather turned. Should break a kilomile this month, got to catch up on my goal I'm 505 miles behind target.

It feels like winter finally left us this week. My wife asked me today to get the bikes ready so we can start riding again. I haven't put in a single ride yet this year but I'll start riding to work soon, 12 miles each way.

Good luck with your riding!

cheers - mark

I am actually at A solid F with 60 miles in the past four weeks (11, 21, 28). Not bad for 4 months after spine surgery. My doctor tells me most of his patients are happy to be walking at 4 months.

Had a rough June after spraining my wrist playing paintball and wasting a perfectly good riding weekend launching rockets. However I broke into K territory though I am 433 miles behind pace for the year.

...... O-Motor .................. 40960.0 Mi
...... N-Motor .................. 20480.0 Mi
...... M-Motor .................. 10240.0 Mi
...... L-Motor ................... 5120.0 Mi
...... K-Motor ................... 2560.0 Mi
Kallahan11........................1283.0 Mi
...... J-Motor ................... 1280.0 Mi
...... I-Motor .................... 640.0 Mi
...... H-Motor .................... 320.0 Mi
...... G-Motor .................... 160.0 Mi
...... F-Motor .................... 80.0 Mi
...... E-Motor .................... 40.0 Mi
...... D-Motor .................... 20.0 Mi
...... C-Motor .................... 10.0 Mi
...... B-Motor .................... 5.0 Mi
...... A-Motor .................... 2.5 Mi

Finally back on pace thanks to the DALMAC ride, I'm actually up 14 miles on pace to my goal of 3500 miles, just have to hold on.
Kallahan11........................2593.0 Mi
...... A-Motor .................... 2.5 Mi[/QUOTE]

Winter came and my mile went down drastically, I readjusted my goal in mid November to 3001 miles, 500 more than last year and just stepped off my trainer at 3002 5 minutes ago. Anyone else actually end up doing any miles this year?
Kallahan11........................3002.0 Mi
...... A-Motor .................... 2.5 Mi[/QUOTE]

1750km... ~105 hours in the saddle. All off-road plus a few trainer sessions. Promised myself a shiny new bike if I can crack 2000 by years end.. tick tock.

Started the year with 3467.7 miles on the Electric Boogaloo's odometer. When I get home, I'll be solidly in B territory with 4 miles. No promises on how much I'll ride, since my commute is now 4 miles round trip and I'll be working from home more this year.

I rode in to work today, bringing me up to 3913.0 miles. 445.3 total for the year, or a 39% H.

Back