Hybrids 2018

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Previous Threads:

Hybrids 2015
Hybrids 2016
Hybrids 2017

Another flying season gone-by, and a new one is just ramping up... what are your goals for flying hybrids during the 2017 flying season? Anything and everything hybrid related is welcome!

* Motors
* Vehicles
* Ground Support (GSE)
* Research motors discussion (within the limits of a non-research forum)
* Electronics
*Altimeters; Vent sensors; GPS etc etc
* Commercial/Professional advancement hybrid discussion
* College development (i.e. TUDelft etc etc)
* Events/Launch coverage
* New flyer questions

I will be flying Contrail 38mm and 54mm motors this year working my way up to the 75mm later. Contrail appears to have good stocks. I do have a Rattworks I90 with only 1 reload kit left. The supply of Rattworks hardware and reloads seems to be sporadic. Does anyone have any information about Rattworks reloads availability?

Still pretty sporadic stateside as well. A year or so ago Black Dog Rocketry said they could special order, but no guarantee of delivery dates.

For the last couple of years I’ve been using the Rattworks I90 in a standard PLM Gamma. I had to extend the Gamma to accept the Contrail 38mm. This year I will be using the Contrail 38mm in an extended RW Double Shot 2nd stage flown as a single stage. The 54mm Contrail fits nicely in the booster stage of the Double Shot, with a composite motor in the 2nd stage. Has anyone tried a hybrid motor in both stages of a 2 stager?

I need to arrange another static test and/or flight for THRP-1. In any event, with my design, I need warmer weather than we have now, or a heated supply tank! But after that, either a much simpler and probably larger hybrid, or a liquid motor.

Gerald

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of building a PML Orion (powered with a Contrail 28"), has anyone built one? how did it fly? do you feel like sharing a photo or two?

Would there be any interest in the group for some surplus SkyRipper Hardware and reloads? I am looking at selling off all of my SkyRipper hardware, reloads, and complete launch system. I have the complete 29, 38 and 54mm systems, and lots of reloads for all sizes. These have been surplus to my needs for some time now, and I am needing to fund another rocket related project. I need to get home this evening and see just what I have and get a list together. I will start an official WTS in the yard sale forum tonight if possible.

I will be flying Contrail 38mm and 54mm motors this year working my way up to the 75mm later. Contrail appears to have good stocks. I do have a Rattworks I90 with only 1 reload kit left. The supply of Rattworks hardware and reloads seems to be sporadic. Does anyone have any information about Rattworks reloads availability?
Previous Threads:

Hybrids 2015
Hybrids 2016
Hybrids 2017

Another flying season gone-by, and a new one is just ramping up... what are your goals for flying hybrids during the 2017 flying season? Anything and everything hybrid related is welcome!

* Motors
* Vehicles
* Ground Support (GSE)
* Research motors discussion (within the limits of a non-research forum)
* Electronics
*Altimeters; Vent sensors; GPS etc etc
* Commercial/Professional advancement hybrid discussion
* College development (i.e. TUDelft etc etc)
* Events/Launch coverage
* New flyer questions

FOR SALE in CANADA .... Contrail 29 to 75mm , Rattworks 29 mm / K240 / L600&900 and Skyripper 29 &54mm .

I know HyperTek reloads are available. Anybody know any others?

Here is a video a guy in my club made of a 6ft long 38mm hybrid I made and flew this past weekend.

That "guy" should NOT be filling the hybrid standing next to it. Very dangerous practice.

Thanks, Not sure why it corkscrewed at the end . Looking to put some more time into the design of another one for next year. Maybe I’ll make an 8ft long case...lol

What techniques have folks been using to control the temperature of the N2O cylinder when it’s sitting out at the pad? I know that some use wet towels or insulation to keep the temperature down in Summer, and perhaps a bath of warm water in Winter. Is anyone using a higher tech means of achieving temperature regulation?

We had a flight to 13500 feet on a hybrid at our last launch.

What techniques have folks been using to control the temperature of the N2O cylinder when it’s sitting out at the pad? I know that some use wet towels or insulation to keep the temperature down in Summer, and perhaps a bath of warm water in Winter. Is anyone using a higher tech means of achieving temperature regulation?

When I can, I use pre-filled cylinders that are temperature conditioned. All are research motors. I know I incur a weight penalty using them, but I prefer the control of the temperature and the weight of oxidizer. For fill at the pad hybrids I use a towel and water, or more recently a 55 gallon plastic drum with a 12v recirculating water pump. I just maintain the water temperature that I want and it keeps the tank at that temperature. The 55 gallon drum setup was $100 all in.

Edward

Summer time. If it not too hot one of those foil mylar thermal blankets will maintain the tank temperature if it starts cool. If its really hot a tank in a bucket of water adding ice occasionally to keep the temp down. I don't fly in the winter.

Summer time. If it not too hot one of those foil mylar thermal blankets will maintain the tank temperature if it starts cool. If its really hot a tank in a bucket of water adding ice occasionally to keep the temp down. I don't fly in the winter.
In cooler climates you can get 12v heater blankets with a pressure switch (we use in racing) to maintain a reasonable temperature.

Contrail Rocketry website looks to be coming along nicely with the new look:

https://contrailrockets.net/

They will be offering a new 29mm system, which will include a nice divergent cone (nozzle) that doubles as the snap ring washer... Liking the new direction!

I've never understood, or been a fan of, their nozzle labeling. Slow, X-Slow, Fast, XXX-Fast. It lacks somethings.

I liken it to going to a car show and asking the owner of a car how many horsepower his car has and his response is "It has the XXX-Fast motor"

Edward

Glad so see 29mm motors available. I will be going that root.....
Only problem is that I can't find any information on thrust/graphs therefore I don't know which tank length is most suitable for me.

Glad so see 29mm motors available. I will be going that root.....
Only problem is that I can't find any information on thrust/graphs therefore I don't know which tank length is most suitable for me.

$540 for a 29mm five motor set is pretty stout, I would probably go with the 16 & 20 or the 20 & 28inch motors for starters. These are probably high G & H-class motors.

$540 for a 29mm five motor set is pretty stout, I would probably go with the 16 & 20 or the 20 & 28inch motors for starters. These are probably high G & H-class motors.

WOW!!! That is expensive. I paid $400 for my set of three motors from Skyripper Systems. That included an extra set of internals and extra nozzle along with the three sized motors. I couldn't cough up that much for 29mm motors.

Edward

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried the Contrail 29mm motors.

Sorry if I asked this before, I have the big M Contrail 3200cc motor and the M1491 M2281 reloads I want to fly at the Oct Culpeper launch. I flew the M1491 once before out of my 20# tank. How many #s do you think it used?

Back