Falcon 9 - Has anybody played around with the computer models?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Reading the threads about the Falcon 9 and the upcoming Falcon Heavy, and then looking at some of the F9 models being built started me wondering, how big would a model have to be to use a cluster of 9, 13mm, 18mm or 24mm motors and would a model that size be too heavy to fly on a cluster of that size?

I don't currently have any of the modeling software running but I know we have a few folk who build models like that for fun.

Have any of you tried this?

Reading the threads about the Falcon 9 and the upcoming Falcon Heavy, and then looking at some of the F9 models being built started me wondering, how big would a model have to be to use a cluster of 9, 13mm, 18mm or 24mm motors and would a model that size be too heavy to fly on a cluster of that size?

I don't currently have any of the modeling software running but I know we have a few folk who build models like that for fun.

Have any of you tried this?

Awhile ago someone was building a 9x24mm F9 cluster in the scratchbuilt section with hand-wrapped FG tubes. There hasn't been much done on the build lately- not sure why.

I don't think weight will actually be much of an issue- multiple motors add up fairly fast in terms of thrust: 9xA3 is a full D20, and fits in a 2" PSII tube. 9xC6 is a full F42, doable for a 3" PSII rocket if you build light. 9xE9 is a 50% H81- would be fine for a lightish paper 4" rocket. If you leave put the motor blocks you can put in G65s... Baby K582, plenty pretty much however you build it.

Awhile ago someone was building a 9x24mm F9 cluster in the scratchbuilt section with hand-wrapped FG tubes. There hasn't been much done on the build lately- not sure why.

I don't think weight will actually be much of an issue- multiple motors add up fairly fast in terms of thrust: 9xA3 is a full D20, and fits in a 2" PSII tube. 9xC6 is a full F42, doable for a 3" PSII rocket if you build light. 9xE9 is a 50% H81- would be fine for a lightish paper 4" rocket. If you leave put the motor blocks you can put in G65s... Baby K582, plenty pretty much however you build it.

This sounds like fun. If I ever find the top of my workbench again, I may have to consider this seriously.

Thanks.

CTI g65 holding in 8x AT d2.3 in a bt80 (?) or 3in (!) gets my nod.

If you airstart them and cant them at 45ish degrees you can get a bit of overexpansion plume effect... You need a lot of BT space but it might be doable with smaller motors.

Starting around 1:50:
[video=youtube;r4XJS_oftH8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4XJS_oftH8[/video]

If you airstart them and cant them at 45ish degrees you can get a bit of overexpansion plume effect... You need a lot of BT space but it might be doable with smaller motors.

Starting around 1:50:
[video=youtube;r4XJS_oftH8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4XJS_oftH8[/video]

Of course, canting them like that costs 30% of the vertical thrust component also.

Make it big. 9 54mm mounts. Make the out side ring if motors AT i65, and the central motors something higher thrust to get it moving. No motor tubes- just centering rings to cut down in weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

So, at the scale sizes required for various motors, how tall would this model be?

So, at the scale sizes required for various motors, how tall would this model be?

For funsies, I whipped up an ultra-crude g65/d3.2 sim. That tells me it's got to be a 3incher, but it also opens up the possibility for a 29mm center core with 18mm outers. I get a length in the neighborhood of 1.5m OAL and about 1km for height, about 1kg MTOW. Did I mention this was a terrible sim?

falcon9_3in_side.pngfalcon9_3in_tail.png

Well can we do 13mm outers and keep it all LPR? Yup, about a meter long, about 54mm OD, flight of about 230m with d21 center and a3 outers.

Back