Any source for plans & instructions for old Estes Kits (1962-1967 era) ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrappe

Reaction score
I would like at some point to build the old kits that I had when i was a kid. Are there any available plans/instructions for cloning them?

Thanks Mike

There are a lot of RockSim/Open Rockets files on Rocket Reviews.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-alpha-7569.html

But be wary of what you download there... There are numerous sims that are downright wrong when it comes to trying to clone old rockets based on the patterns you'd derive there.

A few of the designs you might be looking for are in my .ork files thread. I do everything I can to ensure that the information is correct there.

Don't forget the Semroc line of rockets found at eRockets.biz. A number of early Estes designs are available there, or there are parts you can purchase to clone what you need to clone your own.

For more plans and patterns you can find many of them at plans.rocketshoppe.com.

Oh my gosh! I used to have that Camroc! I wish I still had it and the few round photos I took with it. You don't have the .ork file for it, do you?

Last edited:
Oh my gosh! I used to have that Camroc! I wish I still had it and the few round photos I took with it. You don't have the .ork file for it, do you?

I'm working on getting the CamrocDV produced. A 3D printed mod to the original (or a 3D printed clone w/mod) to carry an 808 #16 camera and get that old school feel with the modern tech advantages.

The mod would have the camera filming through a hole in the shutter (so you could see the sky getting closer), and then at ejection the rubber band trips the shutter (so you get the moment of your "shot" filmed). The camera would still be recording through the hole in the shutter as it descends (so you can see the ground getting closer). My mental film of the flight would be like those old detective movies, where the target is being photographed from a distance, and you see them through the camera lens, then when the picture is taken the image freezes for a moment before beginning to move again. Some clever editing would be needed to give you the feel that the camera is stock (from the outside) in this film world.

I'm toying with the idea of building a 3" upscale of the payload version. I would turn a solid transition, and drill all the way through it for the motor tube. That way I could put the laundry in the payload section.

You have a funny way of saying "I'm going to build a 3" upscale of this"... If you were toying with it, you wouldn't be telling a bunch of enablers (like us) this.

I'm looking forward to the build thread.

I have dozens of OR designs that I was "toying" with at one time or another, but never built. So when I say toying with, I mean just that. I may or may not build it. And since I've been having problems with my legs, it's not that easy for me to stand at the lathe to turn transitions or nose cones. I have a tail cone I started on for an upscale Sprint, that I still haven't finished. I'm in the painting stages of my upscale Big Betty, and have another design I was working on before I saw your post about the Camroc Carrier. So we'll see. I have to say, I do enjoy working on designs in OR, even if I'll never build most of them.

I have dozens of OR designs that I was "toying" with at one time or another, but never built. So when I say toying with, I mean just that. I may or may not build it. And since I've been having problems with my legs, it's not that easy for me to stand at the lathe to turn transitions or nose cones. I have a tail cone I started on for an upscale Sprint, that I still haven't finished. I'm in the painting stages of my upscale Big Betty, and have another design I was working on before I saw your post about the Camroc Carrier. So we'll see. I have to say, I do enjoy working on designs in OR, even if I'll never build most of them.

I understand... I was just poking fun... I'd love to see an upscale of the Camroc Carrier, and I too love working with OR. I just need some time to do some work on them, and now that the Holidays are done, I think I'll get a chance.

Me? A few tools, but not enough to turn my own cones, or cut HPR fins, or CR's.

That's a bummer, but then it would probably be difficult to get any HPR rockets back with you when you come home.

Thanks for all of the references. It will take me a while to look thru them all and figure out what I will start to build.

Mike

Back