Tripoli Wisconsin- Jan 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djs

Reaction score
Who will be there? Preliminary forecast shows low winds, clouds increasing thru the day, and a high of 16F!

Not sure what I’m flying yet. I fell down some stairs on Christmas Eve and pulled a muscle in my back. If it’s better by then, I was thinking of flying:

3 grain 54 white trash motor in my Darkstar

4 grain 29mm ex red motor in a priority stealth- assuming I get the motor mixed before then

Loc Starburst on whatever I can find in Tim’s trailer. Thinking either a pair of F44s or E30s.

Who will be there? Preliminary forecast shows low winds, clouds increasing thru the day, and a high of 16F!

Not sure what I’m flying yet. I fell down some stairs on Christmas Eve and pulled a muscle in my back. If it’s better by then, I was thinking of flying:

3 grain 54 white trash motor in my Darkstar

4 grain 29mm ex red motor in a priority stealth- assuming I get the motor mixed before then

Loc Starburst on whatever I can find in Tim’s trailer. Thinking either a pair of F44s or E30s.

That'll teach you to drink and stair... :wink:

Seriously though, a good friend and coworker of mine just got out of the ICU following emergency brain surgery due to a fall. No medical attention was sought. He was not responsive the next day. Not saying it was avoidable, but immediate attention would have prevented so much of this...

It's an important message especially considering the New Year celebration coming up. If someone hits their head, err on the side of caution.

I was sober! Really! :). Are you coming up?

I have several flavors of muscle relaxant, Glen.

I'm going to try to be there for a bit. Don't know what I'll fly. My Nike Apache still needs a two stage flight, if the winds are low.

I think Alex has an aviation day then.

Wassail at the winery from 4-6pm.

I'll be there! Looking forward to it! Planning to fly...

-7.5" Patriot: 75-3G Kosdon Fast clone
-5.5" No Thunder: AMW K670GG
*possibly* Loc K-Load: Aerotech K400 Classic

Will hopefully be selling off some stuff as well....

See you there; hope it warms up a bit before then!

Will be there to pick up goods from another flier and Tim. Other than that, I might stay in the car!

I'm in but need to bolt right at 11... hope to get a launch in or two.

A question for the other winter fliers - I've got one Lipo setup ready to go, but other rockets are still 9V... do you guys swap out the batteries with lithium 9V at this cold temperature or let them fly with alkalines?

I've got one Lipo setup ready to go, but other rockets are still 9V... do you guys swap out the batteries with lithium 9V at this cold temperature or let them fly with alkalines?

I've flown alkaline 9vs in cold weather before. The key is to check the voltage on them as soon as before the flight as possible. Also try not to make sure they sit on the rail any longer than necessary. The batteries will work, but will drain much faster than normal.

I'm in but need to bolt right at 11... hope to get a launch in or two.

A question for the other winter fliers - I've got one Lipo setup ready to go, but other rockets are still 9V... do you guys swap out the batteries with lithium 9V at this cold temperature or let them fly with alkalines?

Keep the av-bays in the car (running ideally speaking), only take them out once ready to walk to pad and fly. :) Do 99.9% of the prep at home and keep the bay warm.

Thanks Justin and Djs - sounds like good advice for the flyer as well... stay in the car until it's time to fly :)

I've flown alkaline 9vs in cold weather before. The key is to check the voltage on them as soon as before the flight as possible. Also try not to make sure they sit on the rail any longer than necessary. The batteries will work, but will drain much faster than normal.

I've been told by an old sage that if one can secure a chemical hand warmer around the battery that is good insurance in the "really" cold environments. I think the high altitude balloon guys try and insulate the heck out of their payload carriers as their
stuff remains at altitude a lot longer than ours along with the hand warmers. One guy taped liquor bottles on the outside of a project and they were still extremely cold when the payload was recovered.

I've been told that failure on ascent with balloon stuff many times can be due to "battery freeze". It they're lucky the battery comes back on descent and hits a digipeater that pipes the position to the online -IS server for Google APRS. Kurt

Will be there to pick up goods from another flier and Tim. Other than that, I might stay in the car!

I have five CTI reloads I would like to sell, Bong pickup only. They are:
Pro24 1 grain E75 Vmax $8.00
Pro24 6 grain G100 Skid $12.00
Pro29 6 grain H295 SS $20.00
Pro38 3 grain I212 SS $20.00
Pro54 3 grain J355 R $45.00

Stupid auto correct!

I have five CTI reloads I would like to sell, Bong pickup only. They are:
Pro24 1 grain E75 Vancouver $8.00
Pro24 6 grain G100 Skid $12.00
Pro29 6 grain H295 SS $20.00
Pro38 3 grain I212 SS $20.00