Tripoli Wisconsin- Jan 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forecast hasn't changed much... looks like it's going to be a cold one! We'll need something to warm us up. @CharlesMcG- the red phone is ringing! The call is for heroism! Will you be our hero? :)

Thanks to the Tripoli Wisconsin folks for welcoming us to Bong yesterday. I brought a few students from the University of Illinois NASA Student Launch team to fly their sub-scale rocket. That really helped them meet a deadline when we couldn't fly here in Central Illinois. Yep, it was chilly, but a beautiful day, otherwise.

Oh, and if anyone comes across a lost cell phone out there, one of our students dropped hers during recovery north of the launch area. Thanks to those who helped search - kind of a needle in a haystack.

Mark

Thanks to the Tripoli Wisconsin folks for welcoming us to Bong yesterday. I brought a few students from the University of Illinois NASA Student Launch team to fly their sub-scale rocket. That really helped them meet a deadline when we couldn't fly here in Central Illinois. Yep, it was chilly, but a beautiful day, otherwise.

Oh, and if anyone comes across a lost cell phone out there, one of our students dropped hers during recovery north of the launch area. Thanks to those who helped search - kind of a needle in a haystack.

Mark

Shoot!! Android or iPhone? my Android stuff can be tracked. Just log in and if the GPS has a clean shot it will show up on a map. Unless of course
the phone was unfortunately turned off.:facepalm::cry:

I once dropped a GMRS radio out in the field. I use it to keep tabs on my autistic spectrum son. I always worried about him losing the darned things but Dr. Stupidhead here was the one who dropped one. He handed me the radio while we were packing up to go home. Got home, I checked my belt and pocket. Nothing!
Fortunately our modroc launch site is 90 seconds by car from our home so it was easy enough to go back, retrace my steps and send a call beep to the errant rig. Heard it beeping away when I got close to one of the places where I recovered a rocket. Kurt

Can you draw out on a map where you think it is? WOOSH rocketry should be having a launch there in a few weeks, and we can look then. What size/color is it?

A few photos from Saturday's launch:

25699148258_379f325607_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

25699150168_a31bdbac82_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

39527171532_ea04c4b1b1_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

39527177922_ebcc4753a1_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

25699143348_2666631c99_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

38847820124_4a58e619bc_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

39539976882_d174a41b51_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here's a link to the full gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/82867124@N06/sets/72157692001131765/with/39539960932/

Truly only took a few photos....would've liked to have captured Bill and Glen's flights...didn't have the camera ready when Frank's horn started beeping....sorry!

Mark, I recognized you, but not as a Bong regular...thanks for saying "Hi" and sorry for any puzzled looks you received from me!!!:cyclops:

Also, Kevin Harnack's fine photography has been posted on the www.tripoliwisconsin.org site; or directly linked here: https://www.tripoliwisconsin.org/Harnack%20January%202018/index.html He does fine work!:clap:

Eric- that last picture you posted of the cluster looks very interesting. What kind of altitude did you get from it?

Eric- that last picture you posted of the cluster looks very interesting. What kind of altitude did you get from it?

0 altitude so far. Haven't lit that wick yet. Will invert the airframe so the choked flow nozzle points down and give 'er hell! This is one launch the wife will happily participate in!

Fly Responsibly.

Will do! Love the rocketeer's discount!:wink:

Can you draw out on a map where you think it is? WOOSH rocketry should be having a launch there in a few weeks, and we can look then. What size/color is it?

BongLostPhone.jpg

Thanks - I *think* she dropped the phone while we were recovering in the area I've marked. [Let's see if I can really get the image posted...] I could easily have the scale wrong, but it's worth a shot. It's a gold iPhone in a clear case, with a round, black "handle-thing" on the back. The phone was on vibrate, and dead, or nearly dead, so our options to call it or track it were very limited. My thanks again.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, I recognized you, but not as a Bong regular...thanks for saying "Hi" and sorry for any puzzled looks you received from me!!!:cyclops:

No worries, Eric. I probably earned that puzzled look, not having been to Bong in a long while. Besides, with that many layers to stay warm, we were all in disguise! Great to see you and your flight. We were happy to be there.

Mark

I *think* she dropped the phone while we were recovering in the area I've marked.

Fortunately that's a pretty easy area to get around in, and is well trafficked at the launches. Not sure the phone will survive the elements, but I'll pass the info around.

FWIW- I had a small FG rocket come in hot in that same area last year. Hopefully it decides to turn up along with the phone!

Back