What should I do?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I bought 2 packs of E20's, and got another 2 packs of E20's for Christmas. I've burned all but one. I've had my troubles lighting them.
This last one I tried to burn last month, but I blew the igniter. I took the motor out of my flying saucer, and put it back in the package.
I took it out of the package today to see what igniter I have that would fit the motor, and then I was going to fly it at a local park in my flying sacuer. I stuck one in, and it went it in all the way!? It went all the way through the motor, and out the other end!?
I looked at the ejection charge well, and I don't see a cap there. I can see all the way through the motor!
It's definitely a new motor.

Should I burn it at a TRA launch, or report it to Aero-Tech?
BTW, I would never fly this motor at my local park if you think this thing has issues!

Apologies for no pics, my camera won't upload pics right now, :confused: I'll see if I can get those uploaded ASAP.

Thanks,

Do not fly that, it will burn your rocket's guts out and/or strike something and/or set something else on fire.

My guess is that you somehow managed to burn the delay grain, but that's a complete guess. Did the ejection charge go off when you had your previous attempt? Did you inspect both ends of the motor when removing the igniter / returning to storage?

Last edited:
It's not a new engine.
If you can see all the way through it and there is no ejection charge cap,
the engine has been fired, throw the casing away.

EDIT:
Whoops! I thought it was a black powder engine, not an Aerotech.

Do not fly that, it will burn your rocket's guts out and/or strike something and/or set something else on fire.

My guess is that you somehow managed to burn the delay grain, but that's a complete guess. Did the ejection charge go off when you had your previous attempt? Did you inspect both ends of the motor when removing the igniter / returning to storage?
The ejection charge never went off. No, I didn't inspect both ends.
It's not a new engine.
If you can see all the way through it and there is no ejection charge cap,
the engine has been fired, throw the casing away.
No, it weighs more than a fired motor, besides, I can see the propellant inside the motor.

Thanks,

Since you can see all the way through it you clearly have no ejection charge remaining. Therefore, it is not safe to use in a rocket that requires one. Also, and even more importantly, you essentially have a nozzle at both ends of the motor now. Lighting that motor inside a rocket would be bad for everything above the motor.

The ejection charge never went off. No, I didn't inspect both ends.

No, it weighs more than a fired motor, besides, I can see the propellant inside the motor.

Thanks,

You absolutely should contact Aerotech. I am willing to bet they take care of this for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

So, basically you guys are saying that AT put the wrong propellant in the wrong casing?

Thanks,

I think they’re saying you hung onto a spent motor and threw away the one that didn’t burn.

Oh, now I see.
I never got rid of the motor, I still have both, one is unburnt, the other in used. The unburnt one is the problem maker.

Thanks,

I think the only folks that can really help you are the customer service people at Aerotech. Karl’s a straight shooter. I believe you said earlier that you’ve already contacted them. Let us know what they say.

I contacted Aero-Tech. They told me to contact the dealer I bought the pack of E20's from, and the dealer would replace the motor, and Aero-Tech would compensate the dealer later.

Thanks,

I contacted Aero-Tech. They told me to contact the dealer I bought the pack of E20's from, and the dealer would replace the motor, and Aero-Tech would compensate the dealer later.

This answers your question.

And don't burn the motor. Aerotech may want it for failure investigation.

Did anybody else get their hands on it at any time. Looks like it was tampered with. Doesn't look like it burnt at all. Looks like it had the BP charge at one time, which means it had the delay grain to hold it in which is now missing.

I have gotten an email from Aero-Tech saying they'll give me a pack of E20 motors for free!
Very happy with their customer service!

Thanks,

Heh, I'd (carefully) cut the motor apart, to show indeed that there's still a fuel grain in there. If it's intact, you'll either find evidence of a burnt delay grain, or a missing delay grain. Only then will you know what happened.

Heh, I'd (carefully) cut the motor apart, to show indeed that there's still a fuel grain in there. If it's intact, you'll either find evidence of a burnt delay grain, or a missing delay grain. Only then will you know what happened.

What would be a safe way of doing that? I probably wouldn't want to do it with a electric saw, (Fiberglass flying everywhere, friction, which can light the motor).
Maybe a hack saw?

Thanks,

Beryllium copper nonsparking saw, and also don't.
Theres two dont's involved here A) cutting open the motor and B) the beryllium copper saw, its expensive enough to want to keep and resharpen eventually and the dust from sharpening can lead to Berylliosis ( we get yearly training about Be tools, due to the nuclear cleanup nature of my work).

I decided not to cut the motor casing open, so I popped off the ejection charge well yellow thingy.
IMG_3647.jpg
Pics coming soon of the inside of the motor!
I looked inside the motor, and it appears that the propellant is still there, unburnt.

Thanks,

Back