Epoxy Longeivity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've got a gallon set of West Systems epoxy that I've been using casually for probably at least the past five years. Never really considered until recently that the age of the epoxy could have an effect on it's efficiency. Just curious, what's the general shelf life of West Systems? According to their website it's good for "many years", and if allowed to freeze only needs to be reheated to 50 degrees Celsius. Not a whole lot in the world of proof of it's capability over time.

I was considering buying a new set, or maybe finally making the move to rocketpoxy (though I'll miss the pumps!). Maybe, though, I shouldn't be worried at all.

Anyone?

Braden

Don’t even worry about it. I’ve got a little bit of 15 year old Aeropoxy that I still use. From time to time I have to heat it enough for the crystals to liquefy, but it works just fine.

I had the same concern with some I have, so I called the guys at West Systems (Geogeon Brothers) and they told me as long as the epoxy hadn't been contaminated with anything else, it would still perform as specified.

Clearly, you do not build enough rockets. I'm sending you my build pile that I can't get to. Now get crackin'! That epoxy will be used up in no time.

Back