• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Hobby Labs SR-71 R/C Controlled Boost Glider Kit- OOP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolsboy

Reaction score
I own an OOP unflown radio-controlled SR-71 boost glider manufactured by Hobby Labs. Transmitter and servos all working. Kit is complete and includes SR-71 R/C fuselage, both tail fins, R/C transmitter, launch control box, launch pad, decals and manual and comes in it's original box. Flies on Aerotech E15-PW single use plugged motors. It took me a long time to get this, so I'm not letting this go cheap. Considering it's rarity, I can't part with it for less than $300.00 plus $20 shipping (I think it's worth more). Either you must have it... or not. lol.

Prefer Paypal

20160206_140441.jpg

I see you haven’t flown this one yet but have you flown others? I own one as well but I thought its probably only going to get one flight so I’m saving for a special occasion. I bought mine on eBay for $140 last fall, they pop up a several times a year in that price range, but I wouldn’t sell mine for less than $300 either, too cool of a rocket/plane and too unique, if I didn’t have one I’d consider yours at $300. Has anyone out there flown these? Are they difficult? I’ve never touched a remote control plane but I am a pilot for what it’s worth so I understand what has to be done to bring it down safely, just probably don’t have the skill to do it on a first attempt...wish there was a way to practice.

I see you haven’t flown this one yet but have you flown others? I own one as well but I thought its probably only going to get one flight so I’m saving for a special occasion. I bought mine on eBay for $140 last fall, they pop up a several times a year in that price range, but I wouldn’t sell mine for less than $300 either, too cool of a rocket/plane and too unique, if I didn’t have one I’d consider yours at $300. Has anyone out there flown these? Are they difficult? I’ve never touched a remote control plane but I am a pilot for what it’s worth so I understand what has to be done to bring it down safely, just probably don’t have the skill to do it on a first attempt...wish there was a way to practice.
Dan,
I have a couple of these, one still new in the box and the other one I have flown dozens of times over the past several years. I am also a pilot and have been flying RC aircraft for over 25 years. It’s my opinion this model would not be a good first time model to learn to fly RC. I have two reasons to say this. First, it’s tough to learn to fly on a rocket glider. There isn’t a lot of time from liftoff to touchdown. The SR-71 isn’t the best of gliders. Your flight times will be short and there isn’t much time to recover from any wrong control input. The second reason is these models are not built really well. Almost certainly your aircraft’s fuselage will break at the wing leading edge. Touch down with the nose slightly low and the tip will crumple. Really lose control and you will have several pieces of thin foam on your hands that will be really difficult to put back together.
If I were in your shoes and wanted to fly this model, I’d go out and buy a fairly fast foam RC model and spend a lot of time flying it to 200’ or so and deadsticking it back to the ground.
I really like my SR-71! Spectators seem to like it as well. They certainly are not the easiest to fly. Your confidence that you can fly it because of your pilots license is likely misplaced.
Bob Brown

Last edited:
OUTSTANDING advice Bob! Thank you! I’m going to do just what you said. That’s exactly how I thought it’d go and that’s why I haven’t flown. I just meant that I understand the principles of flight in being a pilot, not that it would help fly this thing any better. Pretty cool you’re a pilot too. What launches to you fly to? Or do you not fly to launches? I love going all over the place.

If you have no solid RC experience you will just destroy this. The model is small and easy to get disoriented, glide is short and fast. At the time it was great because there was nothing like it, but for the radio eqmt, And model structure it is just not worth that much as a flier to me, the radio/rx and servos are worth less than $20, now for $20 you will get far better eqmt, whats a foam airframe worth? To a collector who won't fly it who knows, but people pay a lot for things, maybe someone does think it is worth what you are asking that that's great.
There much better options now for flying. I flew mine a lot back in the day when they were closing them out for under $99 and never broke it but I'm a solid pilot. Being an actual pilot doesn't really help, as the main problem with RC is keeping ahead of the model and not getting confused with orientation. There are no indicators for stall, you have to judge based on visual cues which change as the size of the model changes.

Last edited:
Nitroracer1....

Yes... sorry it has taken me so long to reply. You were 1st to ask. Let me know if you are still interested. Please read Burkefj's post.... I have heard the same thing about these being difficult to fly, one reason mine is new and unflown. I would suggest putting removable white tape pieces on underside of wing to prevent disorientation if you decide to fly it. I have a glider version that I flew 3 times but it landed hard and now has cracked fuselage... it was alot cheaper, but still was painful to watch it land.

Last edited:
I have a new never flown kit still in the box with instructions and history pamphlet. The black foam is sooo smooth and is so much better than the white foamy RC fixed wing models that I’ve been used to flying.
I have an AR636 receiver with SAFE Select that uses the Theory W elevon programming. This is a very fast flying wing that could make gliding the Hobby Lab SR 71 so much easier. However the first flight must be a test flight to determine initial reflex angle. After that then SAFE can be selected on the transmitter to provide roll and pitch leveling.
I plan on making a foam mock-up to test

Back