North of Boston or NH?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSU

Reaction score
Happy Holiday's!

I'm ended up here and I am posting because I have a 9 year old boy. He has been asking for a rocket since, oh I would guess, probably since age 5. For his 9th birthday I decided it was about time. That was in November. I have yet to actually gift the rocket but that is a topic for a different post.

I'm looking for anyone who is active in my region. Anywhere North of Boston all the way to the Maine border.

Cheers!
Liz
Mom to Sean

howdy, and welcome to the forum. after looking at the NAR club locator page I found two clubs listed, one I am reasonably sure is active. I suggest taking a look here; https://www.cmass.org/ (they fly out of Amesbury mass).
hope this helps,
Rex

CMASS is a great club. Highly recommended! They have a winter foiles launch scheduled for Jan 6. That launch is in Acton (NW of Boston), but they also launch from Amesbury, which is in the MA/NH border.

The other option is the Maine Missile Math and Science Club (MMMSC): https://mmmsclub.org. They launch every other week in Berwick, ME (just north of the NH border). They have the best launch site in the Northeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Sean's mom! I think you'll find a warm welcome at either of those clubs. Looking forward to your next post about "the gift". :)

Hello Liz,

Welcome to the forum and to model rocketry. We do have our Winter Follies Launch coming up in January (scheduled for the 6th but keep an eye on the CMASS website for any changes in this schedule) and that may be a fun outing for your family to see what happens at a club launch. I'd recommend not rushing to try to have a rocket ready for that launch as making a first flight in winter conditions can quickly dampen any enthusiasm a young rocketeer may have. Our regular club launches will start up again in April; it will be warmer and plastic parachutes work much better when not frozen.

As to the rocket, Estes is the long-term champ for model rockets in the USA and their rockets can be found in local hobby stores, some Michael's stores and all Hobby Lobby stores. They have some rockets that can be flown just as they come out of the box or with very little assembly skills required. They may not be a bad way to start but they are not typically kits that will last for very many launches. If Sean has any model making skills or wants to develop them, I'd recommend a good Skill Level 1 rocket from Fliskits. The Thing-a-ma-Jig, dooDad and Whatchamacallit are great starter kits that are popular with scout and school groups just getting started in the hobby. These kits are fun and the instructions are very well written.

Please feel free to contact me directly either through the private messaging available on this forum or by sending an email to [email protected] if you'd like to find out more about the clubs in the area or anything else about model rocketry in general. I'm involved with both of the clubs listed by others as well as a Night Owl Rocketry Gild (NORG), a club in Salem, MA, that specializes in night launches of lighted rockets four times each year.

Happy Holiday's!

I'm ended up here and I am posting because I have a 9 year old boy. He has been asking for a rocket since, oh I would guess, probably since age 5. For his 9th birthday I decided it was about time. That was in November. I have yet to actually gift the rocket but that is a topic for a different post.

I'm looking for anyone who is active in my region. Anywhere North of Boston all the way to the Maine border.

Cheers!
Liz
Mom to Sean

If you find yourself way up north in Vermont on the third Saturday of the month you can check out our club launches. Champlain Region Model Rocket Club link is in my signature.

Ahhh a fellow mass hole.. WELCOME !!!

Cmass has alot of well attended launches, with really amazing people.. Do your best to make it to a launch.

There is also a launch in maine MMMSC is the club name, The maine launch has some high power launches that will completely consume you and make you wanting more. 100% POSITIVE Worth the ride.

Each club has different schedules and sometimes they all get together for a joint launch.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask !!

and again,

Welcome

Tom

Please sent me your name and address via PM and I will send some simple rockets kits to you gratis. Welcome, attend our CMASS launches next year and any member will be willing to give any knowledge to help your son with his future hobby.

Back