Saturn 1B - Semroc vs Apogee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for some TECHNICAL differences between the Semroc and Apogee Saturn 1B kits.

Both are 1/70 scale.
Semroc flies on 24mm or a cluster of 18mm
Apogee flies on 29mm

Semroc comes with a 32" chute
Apogee has 2 chutes, a 24" and a 36"

Semroc states its model is 9.9 oz
Apogee states its model is 13.0 oz

Does the Apogee use heavier tubes? Have more structure?
How accurate are the scale details between the two?

I noticed Semroc shows a diameter of 3.938" while Apogee shows a diameter of 3.78. Yet both are saying they are 1/70 scale
Semroc length is 37", Apogee length is 38.3"
So Apogee is smaller in diameter but longer???

Other major differences? (besides price...)

Please keep comments to TECHNICAL differences....
I really don't want to see discussions on how Apogee is "overpriced"

Thanks

I've only built the Semroc. Read all of the reviews at https://www.rocketreviews.com of the two kits. The Apogee kit looks much more detailed, with vacuform wraps, a molded BPC and LES, etc. The Semroc kit uses embossed wraps and small details are wood or fiberboard. The Semroc LES is notoriously hard to put together and have it look nice.

FWIW, I am cheap and not much of a perfectionist, and I was completely satisfied with the Semroc kit. But read the reviews and I think you can form an opinion matched to what you are looking for.

Options if you don't want to pay the cost of the Apogee kit are to use their LES/BPC. There are also a number of wraps and 3D printed pieces that replace the problematic pieces of the Semroc, like the scallops at the base of the rocket.

I'm looking for some TECHNICAL differences between the Semroc and Apogee Saturn 1B kits.

The Apogee kit uses slightly heavier tubes overall, as well as more plastic pieces which add mass. These include the transition section just above the thrust structure and the Apollo CM and LES lattice. Also, you'll find a much heavier nylon chute in the Apogee kit, while the Semroc kit uses a simple plastic chute.

Both kits are great. The Apogee kit will offer marginally better scale qualities, while the Semroc kit is arguably more "bang for the buck," and adds the additional drama associated with clustering. Neither one is 100% dimensionally perfect. If that is what you seek, you'll need to scratch build using custom mandrels and hand-laid fiberglass tubes.

If you choose the Semroc kit, go ahead and buy a CM/LES from Apogee and save yourself a great deal of frustration:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...ent-Parts-for-the-Saturn-V/Apollo-Capsule-Set

Hope this helps,
James

Back