See what's been shakin at LOC the last few months!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOC

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]Hello! We wanted to keep everyone in the know of what we have done the past few months. We’ll announce quarterly updates showcasing our product improvements, new products and a peek of what we’re working on.[/FONT]

• Baffle System for diameters 2.56″ to 7.5″
    The new LOC baffle system is a modification of the old “snuffer tube”. It’s design is simple and straight forward and protects your recovery system from motor ejection sparks and flame. By forcing the air up, back down, and out the top it cools and prevents sparks from getting through. Mounted inside a coupler, you can choose to install it just about any place in the booster section. An eye bolt is included as a shock cord mount as well. Motor retention is strongly suggested as there will be an increase in pressure on the aft side.
  • Nylon Webbing Shock Cord
    Based on feedback in the field, we have decided to implement a new style of shock cord. While the underwear strap has done well for us over the years :)…The shock cord is 3/8″ flat nylon webbing that sports 950lbs tensile strength. We have two sizes currently 12′ @ 1.2oz and 15′ @ 1.6oz. The ends will have a sewn loop. We have started implementing this into ISP Performance kits where weight is not a concern but tubular nylon would be overkill. Kits that will have the nylon webbing standard will also get a 3rd centering ring or other means of retention. Keep an eye on the quarterly updates for a complete list!
    957626494607614259-300x225.jpg
    IMG_1639-225x300.jpg
  • PK-60 Caliber-ISP kit now includes a baffle/shock cord update.
    The baffle includes a 3″ coupler with 2 – 29mm ejection gas cooling tubes. The shock cord is 3/8″ flat nylon webbing that sports 950lbs tensile strength.
    Caliber-ISP-Rocket-Kit-PK60-300x95.jpg
    IMG_1636-225x300.jpg
    IMG_1637-225x300.jpg
  • LOC Removable Nose Weight System (RNWS) View instructions here.
    We are happy to introduce the LOC RNWS. Currently available in the 7.5″ Phoenix. This will become standard in the 5.5″ and 7.5″ V2 kits 1/1/2018 as well as future kits. In the past inherently unstable kits such as the V2, Phoenix and HAWK, one would epoxy a certain amount of weight in the nose. Thus limiting them to certain motors for stability. With the LOC RNWS you can change weight on the fly for stability purposes utilizing a single cone. These will also be available shortly for retail purchases.
    IMG_1216-300x225.jpg
    IMG_1217-300x225.jpg
    IMG_1230-225x300.jpg
    IMG_0619-225x300.jpg
  • 2.56″ Patriot
    YPAT25Pic-185x300.jpg

Includes factory pre-slotted airframe and through-the-wall fin construction. The 2.6″ scale PATRIOT is an excellent introduction into mid-power rocketry. Easy to assemble and durable. It includes a 29mm motor mount, 1/8″ laser cut fins, and 1/4″ centering rings for durability. 1/4″ lugs, 18″ rip-stop nylon parachute, 10″ payload section, shock cord and all necessary hardware to keep it together!
  • Tri-Star
    Tri-Star0001-232x300.jpg

Tri-Star back in stock!
    One of the Retro LOC kits we were happy to bring back! Sports 3x 38mm Motors for clustered flights. An trio of MMA-3s can be used if you desire 29mm motors instead. Comes with a 36″ Heavy duty Nylon Parachute, 15′ of nylon webbing to hold it all together and sports a 4-3″ reducer for a payload area. Original instructions are included for reference. A 4″ Baffle system is utilized for Shock Cord mounting.
  • LOC-N-Fins
    Multiple requests, you have asked and we listened! Moving forward LOC will not be producing LOC-N-Fin sets for kits. They’ll be replaced with fin tabs to the motor tube for strength.
  • 4″ Electronics Bay Sled update
    IMG_1640-225x300.jpg

We have increased the surface area of the 4″ Ebay plate. This allowing for more room for your goodies. These are available for individual purchase now as well.
[FONT=&amp]That’s all for now. We’re currently working on revitalizing the Mini Missile line and soon to re-release the 2″ BBX, Sandhawk, IQSY Tomahawk and new HAWK.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with the latest shenanigans we’re up to![/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]LOC Precision
https://www.locprecision.com/q4-2017-loc-update/[/FONT]

Thinking I need to save up for a Tri-star... what’s the height on one?

very cool developments. Any plans to make Av-bays stock in kits that are obviously meant for DD, like the Nuke Pro Maxx, Vulcanite, 4-29SS etc?

Last edited:
Good to see the original size Tri-star back. My favorite flight was 3 H45-10s:grin:

Very cool! Happy to see a vendor listening to the public and giving them what they want!

Thinking I need to save up for a Tri-star... what’s the height on one?
64" ish. depending on how far you shove the motor tubes in!

Any plans to make Av-bays stock in kits that are obviously meant for DD, like the Nuke Pro Maxx, Vulcanite, 4-29SS etc?
We'd prefer to keep them separate. Sometimes the extra cost to those who do not want an e-bay is too much.

Very cool! Happy to see a vendor listening to the public and giving them what they want

​Without feedback from the crowd, it's hard to improve!!! We thank all of YOU for that!

I will miss the LOC-N-Fins... My Mini-Magg used them well. But, I'll move-on!
We've replaced too many snapped fins on the Magg's this year. As well as some people just not liking they, we decided to remove them. We loved the concept, but they were not standing the test of time which we'd expect a rocket kit to take.

Love to see the activity!

Tristar flight, slow-motion, on 3 Aerotech 38mm HP SU DMS Motor - H45W-P

That was an AWESOME flight!!! Can we steal the video for the website??

Last edited:
I'm interested in getting a Cyclotron for my Level 1 flight. Which of these mods could be used in it?

I'm interested in getting a Cyclotron for my Level 1 flight. Which of these mods could be used in it?

My son used a Cyclotron for his TRA Mentor level 1 last October. The only modifications he did was adding an eye bolt to the top centering ring for recovery attachment, and cutting off the ends of the transition to use it for an av bay. He used altimeters for the apogee deploy with motor backup, and a chute release for the main. Great kit! I did see mention of a 4" Cyclotron on the LOC Facebook page. If that wasn't a misprint - that would be worth looking at too ;-)

The baffle upgrade would be a good option if you're planing on using motor eject for a primary deployment method. Replacing the recovery harness with Kevlar or nylon is SOP for us. It's great to see LOC is starting to supply it with more of their kits :)

Hopefully the new Cyclotron will use body tube segments for the tube fins. The original used couplers - too small for a good fit. I used popsickle sticks between each tube fin to make up the difference.

Hopefully the new Cyclotron will use body tube segments for the tube fins. The original used couplers - too small for a good fit. I used popsickle sticks between each tube fin to make up the difference.

The one my son built used 3" body tube for the fins, not couplers. Very little gap. What little gap there was easily filled with epoxy.

Glad to hear that you are finally getting rid of the underwear strap shock cords. This is my LOC Iris a few years ago when the underwear strap broke . . .

39333189822_d97855e49f_o.jpg

Tristar flight, slow-motion, on 3 Aerotech 38mm HP SU DMS Motor - H45W-P

[/COLOR]That was an AWESOME flight!!! Can we steal the video for the website??

I think that would be fine. However, I don't own that video as it was taken by another flyer (his daughter actually) at the launch. I'll see if I can get in touch with him.

Got to admit, I've built a few LOC rockets over the years, but FG rockets really became my go-to kits in the last 6+ years. These changes are making me rethink LOC and what kits I need to build! I've always liked the Cyclotron...

Great job and keep going!

Got to admit, I've built a few LOC rockets over the years, but FG rockets really became my go-to kits in the last 6+ years. These changes are making me rethink LOC and what kits I need to build! I've always liked the Cyclotron...

Great job and keep going!
AoYjv_f-maxage-0.gif

From the Ether...

I have the 5.5" R2 (stretched V2) kit and enjoy flying it. I was thinking of modifying the nose cone of mine to have an adjustable nose weight for the reasons you state. Will that be available as a separate item so I don't have to finish a new nose cone from scratch? Also, I see that kit is no longer available. Is that the case or is it / could it be a special order item if I want or need to replace it? Keep up the great work!

How can I get a copy of the instructions for the TriStar? The kit I got at Airfest appears to be a variation of the Tristar, with a 4" payload bay and nose cone, unlike the transition as pictured... Thoughts on this?

How can I get a copy of the instructions for the TriStar? The kit I got at Airfest appears to be a variation of the Tristar, with a 4" payload bay and nose cone, unlike the transition as pictured... Thoughts on this?

That's a Queen Viper III...bottom halves are the same or similar, but top halves are different.

That's most likely the ticket! We just brought the Tri-Star out. We did bring a bunch of queen vipers to Airfest. However, the viper family never had destructions. There are some for the 2.56" III and IV we can send. It has the same "general" construction techniques. I think the kits we're assumed to higher level flyers? I honestly cannot answer. But, I'll say the same as most manufacturers that destructions are the most laborious part of the process!!! Call us if you have questions during the build. We'll help you out!

Back