• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Aerotech 24/40 for TARC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmattm

Reaction score
We have started a TARC team this year and are unable to find Aerotech 24/40 casing and closures. Would anyone know where we could find such a thing? Thanks in Advance

All Aerotech hardware is unbelievably slow. Supply chain problems. Your best bet is to buy used on the forum yard sale

He said he’ll be “making” them starting in January, tired of waiting on AT to make them so he’s making them himself. That’s all I know. Will post when mine arrive.

That's interesting, borderline astonishing ! Does Aerotech know that ? The Tripoli/NAR motor testing crew :confused:?

That's interesting, borderline astonishing ! Does Aerotech know that ? The Tripoli/NAR motor testing crew :confused:?

AT has always (at least as far as I know) allowed, in some form or other, other manufacturers to make hardware- RouseTech & Dr. Rocket for example. I would assume they charge a fee for the design but if the same hardware specs are followed I'm guessing NARS&T and TMT consider them to be equivalent.

For this sort of thing typically there's a licensing agreement in place which has a great many specifications attached.

Has anyone called and asked instead of posting here?

He said he’ll be “making” them starting in January, tired of waiting on AT to make them so he’s making them himself. That’s all I know. Will post when mine arrive.

AT has always (at least as far as I know) allowed, in some form or other, other manufacturers to make hardware- RouseTech & Dr. Rocket for example. I would assume they charge a fee for the design but if the same hardware specs are followed I'm guessing NARS&T and TMT consider them to be equivalent.

Yes, Rouse and Dr. Rocket made Aerotech "clone" cases. I have no idea what kind of agreement they had with Aerotech. My guess is S&T would want to bless any new hardware. One of us is right ! :)

For this sort of thing typically there's a licensing agreement in place which has a great many specifications attached.

Has anyone called and asked instead of posting here?

I haven't. Evidently DannyB has had some communication with Wildman. I'll wait and see what the new year brings.

I just assumed Wildman just laser etched their name on the case they resold. I didn't think they made this case. Since the standard Aerotech markings are on the other side.1230171606a.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I just assumed Wildman just laser etched their name on the case they resold. I didn't think they made this case. Since the standard Aerotech markings are on the other side.View attachment 335181

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Hey Eric, I wouldn’t assume that. If they were misbranding it would be a tremendous intellectual property and general liability issue, and I highly doubt Wildman would intentionally do that. If I get them and they are AT branded I’ll be the first to call Gary. It’s not uncommon for the vendor to stamp or engrave their name on a case, and by no means indicates that it’s a clone. Ive been waiting on 6 or 8 of these from Active Powersports since April. I asked Tim why Wildman is getting them in and others are not and that’s why he told me they were [planning on] making them. He could’ve been kidding, dreaming, or I could have misunderstood, but in either event I don’t t see anything wrong with making and properly branding them, although idk if that makes them cert or ex or whether AT has an agreement that prohibits vendors from cloning, but it’s not my business unless they’re misbranded. I’ve had nothing but good relations with Tim at Wildman and I highly doubt he’s up to no good, I think he just got fed up, like many of us, at having to wait so long and indefinitely longer to get a product that’s in demand.

Last edited:
Another thing worth noting is the serious price jump from BS to now. They were $29 for non club and $25 for club members (roughly) during BS sale and are now $50. Maybe they planned to make a batch themselves for BS customers and now they’re going back to AT, hence the price nearly doubling. Either way $25 is a steal no matter who makes them as long as they’re not being dishonest in their dealings/branding.

There aren’t any valid patents covering the cases so there isn’t a legal issue in making compatible hardware. Not sure about certification though.

Either Aerotech can’t afford to make the cases or there isn’t enough of a finical incentive for them to do so. If you do the numbers on the smaller reloads the ROI pales in real dollars next to 38mm and up.

Tony

There aren’t any valid patents covering the cases so there isn’t a legal issue in making compatible hardware. Not sure about certification though.

Either Aerotech can’t afford to make the cases or there isn’t enough of a finical incentive for them to do so. If you do the numbers on the smaller reloads the ROI pales in real dollars next to 38mm and up.

Tony
Aerotech is having issues with machining them right now which is why the shortage of casings. Its been discussed on the Aerotech open thread.

Aerotech is having issues with machining them right now which is why the shortage of casings. Its been discussed on the Aerotech open thread.
In a post dated 17 October of this year ATGM says 24mm cases are 2-3 weeks out. In the next post he states “we are purchasing our hardware differently now to keep costs low”. On 13 Nov he says cases will be stocked up for TARC teams.

If there was enough profit they would have the cases done by now. If there was a big enough market someone else would step in to fill it. The fact that AT can’t hire another machinist or outsource the cases is pretty much proof it is an economic issue not a production one. After nearly three months and no cases says a lot.

Tony

In a post dated 17 October of this year ATGM says 24mm cases are 2-3 weeks out. In the next post he states “we are purchasing our hardware differently now to keep costs low”. On 13 Nov he says cases will be stocked up for TARC teams.

If there was enough profit they would have the cases done by now. If there was a big enough market someone else would step in to fill it. The fact that AT can’t hire another machinist or outsource the cases is pretty much proof it is an economic issue not a production one. After nearly three months and no cases says a lot.

Tony

We are lucky to have the AT Open Thread and the ATGM providing his input. Many of us follow it quite closely. :) I think it's fair to say that as far as hobbyline cases go, things haven't gone as planned. Based on the posts Tony's cited, info provided by the ATGM, I think he may be on to something. Machining them at a particular price point could be the issue now.

Another thing worth noting is the serious price jump from BS to now.
They were $29 for non club and $25 for club members (roughly) during BS sale and are now $50.

Correction - they are $50 for non WM club members, $32.49 for members.

That's almost exactly the price point at which they are listed at HobbyInc: $32.89.
Neither vendor has them in stock.

a

And as is so common with forum members the OP seems to have abandoned the thread. But not sure he&#8217;d have much to add. <I did PM him with a case for sale but never heard back. So I guess he has moved on to plan B.>

ADDED: Case is no longer available, sorry to all who have PM'd me about it.

Tony

Last edited:
Hey Eric, I wouldn&#8217;t assume that. If they were misbranding it would be a tremendous intellectual property and general liability issue, and I highly doubt Wildman would intentionally do that. If I get them and they are AT branded I&#8217;ll be the first to call Gary. It&#8217;s not uncommon for the vendor to stamp or engrave their name on a case, and by no means indicates that it&#8217;s a clone. Ive been waiting on 6 or 8 of these from Active Powersports since April. I asked Tim why Wildman is getting them in and others are not and that&#8217;s why he told me they were [planning on] making them. He could&#8217;ve been kidding, dreaming, or I could have misunderstood, but in either event I don&#8217;t t see anything wrong with making and properly branding them, although idk if that makes them cert or ex or whether AT has an agreement that prohibits vendors from cloning, but it&#8217;s not my business unless they&#8217;re misbranded. I&#8217;ve had nothing but good relations with Tim at Wildman and I highly doubt he&#8217;s up to no good, I think he just got fed up, like many of us, at having to wait so long and indefinitely longer to get a product that&#8217;s in demand.

Anything Wildman's has done or will be doing as far as hardware is being done with permission and approval of AT.

Another thing worth noting is the serious price jump from BS to now. They were $29 for non club and $25 for club members (roughly) during BS sale and are now $50. Maybe they planned to make a batch themselves for BS customers and now they&#8217;re going back to AT, hence the price nearly doubling. Either way $25 is a steal no matter who makes them as long as they&#8217;re not being dishonest in their dealings/branding.

We have been discounting the entire Aerotech hobby line that much.
We will continue to beat any real competition.
Our normal price has gone to the manufactures suggested retail price (MSRP). We do still offer a significant discount for club members.

Last edited:
Aerotech actually did this for us.

Tim, will existing orders at the prior price be fulfilled at that price? Any idea on an ETA? I've got two cases already from a few years back, so we're good, but I ordered two additional ones a few months back from you.

Tim, will existing orders at the prior price be fulfilled at that price? Any idea on an ETA? I've got two cases already from a few years back, so we're good, but I ordered two additional ones a few months back from you.
All pre exiting orders will be honored at the original price when the back orders become available .

Back