Corn Starch an Issue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TheAnomoly

Welcome to the forum... If you're ever in Dayton, you can always look up eRockets. They have regular build sessions (once a week IINM), and a great selection of kits (and folks who build them). You won't find me there though... I'm currently in China living and working as an English teacher.

WSR meets at eRockets every Tuesday from 6ish to 8:30ish.

This is not true. Anyone can build a D size sugar motor and fly it as long as they follow the correct NFPA rules and what not. They may have to get a waiver? They can't fly it at a TRA launch unless they are L2 and it is a research launch, and can't fly it at all at NAR. I am not sure all the details of research or EX motors so I could be mistaken.

Mickey:

NFPA 1127 must be followed because LPR only applies to commercial motors (nfpa 1122) so you gotta follow NFPA 1127 which allows only certified uses to fly....
And there are 2 certifying organizations EX is a no-go for NAR so we're down to TRA. Tripoli safety code delineates L2.

but let's not slice hairs. I'm not a lawyer and I stayed in my house last night, so I have no special insight. It's just not a good idea for new people to do EX alone.

Lucky Tripoli Mid-Ohio will hook him up and help him along. If he wants to learn, do, help out or just watch mixing the good folks out there will hook him right up. That's the important thing.

NFPA1127 does not allow EX. If you are doing research you are not following NFPA anything.

NFPA1127 does not allow EX. If you are doing research you are not following NFPA anything.

NFPA 1127 requirement 6.1(5) prohibits:
Making, operating, launching, flying, testing, activating, discharging, or otherwise experimenting with high power rocket motors, motor reloading kits, or pyrotechnic modules that have not been certified in accordance with NFPA 1125 other than for the purpose of evaluation of new high power rocket motor technology by a recognized national user organization or an AHJ, provided that all other requirements of this code are met and all activities are in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances

As a “recognized national user organization” it is the underlined portion of this paragraph that I believe allows Tripoli Rocketry Association members to pursue research activities. It’s the stipulation that “all other requirements of this code” be met that compels us to follow the other requirements of NFPA 1127, such as safe distances, etc.

Steve Shannon

Hi Ya,

If home is Cleveland, Chris Pearson the Prefect of Tripoli North East Ohio probably can help you out. He makes his own motors and lives in the Cleveland area ( Inside the 271/480 belt)

Back