New GPS Rocket Locator $25

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Check this out, I got it for Christmas. They are less than $25 Work with iPhone or Android.

Tile Mate

It sends a location and play s a sound.

Works in reverse also, can be used to make your phone ring.

IMG_1763.jpg

Does it need a SIM card to work?

[EDIT] Actually just downloaded the instruction. Uses Bluetooth (range 100 feet). Let me know how it works. I picked up a GPS Locator but it required a SIM card...bummer. Will need to borrow friends phone to locate.

Last edited:
Check this out, I got it for Christmas. They are less than $25 Work with iPhone or Android.

Tile Mate

It sends a location and play s a sound.

Works in reverse also, can be used to make your phone ring.

View attachment 335010

Wayne and I have used the tile for several years, participating in the Kickstarter campaign.

We have it attached to bikes and small trailers, in bags, purses, etc.

You have to have cell signal - and good cell signal - for it to work accurately with the iPhone (we are not Android users so don't know how well it works with Androids).

Many times it has gotten "stuck" on a location where it used to be and not where it is now and we have to re-search for it.

It really, REALLY doesn't like to be searched for on more than one device - Wayne and I both have iPhones and I tried to work them on both phones and there have been issues with connectivity.

We will keep using them but personally would not use it in a rocket.

YMMV

These things would likely not help very much for rocket tracking. I have a Trackr on keys for when I misplace them in the house. I haven't tested the Trackr outdoors and I believe the makers of all these devices make lavish promises.
Works within two rooms in the house. Range is not likely to be very far outdoors anyways. Will probably give the last known position as to the last it accessed your phone GPS plus you'll need an internet link.

They are tied by Bluetooth to your phone and your phones GPS provides positioning. If your phone doesn't have a GPS lock where the device is "last seen" you could be sent on a wild goose chase. Again, there is no GPS in the device and
I suspect totally useless for rocket tracking. Plus the software requires "overhead" and battery power. At least the Trackr tries to recruit one for "crowd finding" so your device is used to plot postions for somebody else's stuff nearby.

If you're paranoid, stay away. Trackr I keep crowd "tracking" turned off. But again, I only use it for my keys.

Oh, I forgot to add at least with the Trackr, the program does have a signal strength meter on it so as I wander through the house (swearing under my breath) as I get more bars on the signal strength meter I know I'm getting closer.
It doesn't need an internet link for that and I usually have my memory jostled to find my keys. The beepers on these things aren't very loud. I expect a louder rocket screamer would be more effective. Indoors I've not
seen more than 15 feet. Kurt

Last edited:
I picked up a GPS Locator but it required a SIM card...bummer. Will need to borrow friends phone to locate.

I have been using cheap (under $20) sim card GPS trackers, so far successfully. You can borrow a sim card to use on launch days, or use the SpeedTalk $5 monthly sim. If you have a sim card tracker that works on 3G networks (cheapest I've seen is around $50), you can use a free FreedomPop sim card.

Back