So, who is watching?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried many times to get into it due to all of the references you see to it, but I just can't for the life of me....

Heh. Well, I guess I'll be the odd one and say that it's one of my favorite movies, certainly my favorite holiday movie, not that I was ever much into them. My family used to watch it every year even before Turner started making a marathon out of it, and we still watch it at least once all the way through when it's on. Anyone in my family can repeat just about every word from it. I grew up in the 80's but my parents grew up in the 50's, and their hometowns (suburban eastern & western PA) were very much like that depicted in the movie, so they really connect with it, and I just find it funny even though my experiences growing up were rather different.

personally, my wife and I prefer Christmas Vacation... We can both quote most of it!

She has never seen A Christmas Story, and i have not seen it in nearly 20 years... I cannot stand that movie!

Seems like they used a similar approach of having an adult narrator retelling his childhood stories in the TV show The Wonder Years, with some historical perspective thrown in. That was an interesting show.

I love that movie. Yesterday we went to the musical in the afternoon. Then after the kids went to bed we watched the movie.

Seems like they used a similar approach of having an adult narrator retelling his childhood stories in the TV show The Wonder Years, with some historical perspective thrown in. That was an interesting show.

You're mistaken. Jean Shepherd came first. The author/humorist came before Garrison.
BTW, it is said he did have friends named Flick and Schwartz. Kurt

You're mistaken. Jean Shepherd came first. The author/humorist came before Garrison.
BTW, it is said he did have friends named Flick and Schwartz. Kurt

Funny things about the movie... Flick was played by a Schwartz (Scott), Grover Dill was the bully (not the toady)(Played by Yano (I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!) Anaya), and Scut Farkus wasn't even in the book. The book was set in the Great Depression, and not the post war era.

My childhood buddy inherited [from his father . I still remember it] The leg lamp complete with fishnet stocking. When ever I bump into him it's always a conversation about our childhood. Still sits proudly on an end table in his house. His wife hates it and it's pretty war torn after all these years.
I had a Red Ryder BB-gun AND the Untouchable's version. [another great 50's TV show] Tommy gun fast shooting BB-gun.
At one time or another we both stuck ort tongue's [on a dare] to something or other metal, during sub-zero winters in our 50's youth!

So myself and many of my contemporaries can relate to the movie & consider it funny.

But then I still remember the Hoover vacuum sales door to door guy coming by EVERY year trying to sell my mom a unit, and her getting him to vacuum the whole house as part of the demonstration. You would think after several years he would have figured that one out.
Fuller brush door/door sales man......milk man and daily delivery....towels and dishes in every box of laundry detergent...free silverware sets with gas fill up. Real toys in Cracker-Jack boxes. AND the first MacDonald's opening in town! 1960's
Laundry/Drycleaning picking up and delivery to the house & the first washmachine/dryer combos.

I even remember our FIRST TV...I was 6 years old before we got one...3 stations all went off air after Jonny Carson 11.30-12?

You could even get stuff fixed back then...TV's Fans, Refrigerators small motors, drill's etc. Not anymore, cheaper to throw out and buy another.

Don't forget the "duck & cover" Nuclear attack drills at school, more of them than fire drills..LOL

I even remember our FIRST TV...I was 6 years old before we got one...3 stations all went off air after Jonny Carson 11.30-12?
Given I was an Army brat, and my Dad was stationed in various places - I distinctly remember staying in many motels while traveling cross country, where we saw our first color TV.
And TV dinners....with the TV dinner table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzlkO8LIWrs
[video=youtube;MzlkO8LIWrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzlkO8LIWrs[/video]

Don't forget the "duck & cover" Nuclear attack drills at school, more of them than fire drills..LOL

......and the Conelrad alert warnings on TV......with the animated bit with the little guy taking shelter from fallout.

[video=youtube;7iaQMbfazQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iaQMbfazQk[/video]
[video=youtube;yE-nji8-1Ko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE-nji8-1Ko[/video]

Last edited:
Back