Ignitors not lighting!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew

Reaction score
I've got three single use Aerotech engines. I tried to launch them the other day, but my Estes launch button thing didn't seem to make it happen. All three didn't go. Seemed like only 1-2mm at the end of the ignitor burned or fell off. It also seemed like the ignitors were a really tight fit in the nozzle to push all the way up there.

The engines
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Motors/AeroTech_Motors/18mm_Motors_Single_Use

The igniters
https://www.hobbytown.com/first-fire-jr.-ignitors-3-by-aerotech-aro89895/p46348

The little launch controller I have
https://www.hobbylinc.com/estes-electron-beam-model-rocket-launch-controller-302220

I was thinking my launch button didn't have enough volts to really fire off those ignitors. Any other ideas? Perhaps they were just all old and duds?

If you broke bits off forcing them in, they won't work. Also a good 12volt controller is needed.

I've got three single use Aerotech engines. I tried to launch them the other day, but my Estes launch button thing didn't seem to make it happen. All three didn't go. Seemed like only 1-2mm at the end of the ignitor burned or fell off. It also seemed like the ignitors were a really tight fit in the nozzle to push all the way up there.

The engines
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Motors/AeroTech_Motors/18mm_Motors_Single_Use

The igniters
https://www.hobbytown.com/first-fire-jr.-ignitors-3-by-aerotech-aro89895/p46348

The little launch controller I have
https://www.hobbylinc.com/estes-electron-beam-model-rocket-launch-controller-302220

I was thinking my launch button didn't have enough volts to really fire off those ignitors. Any other ideas? Perhaps they were just all old and duds?

I'm guessing your controller just didn't have the punch to light those. I light everything with a custom 12V lead gel cell controller now, so it's been awhile since I've had trouble igniting things... AeroTech igniters in particular are hard to light, and I wouldn't expect an Estes controller to light them. I don't think the igniters are bad other than that they're really too much for that controller.

Short of getting a new controller, Estes PSII Sonic Igniters might work with 6V. They're designed for composites, so they have a bit more punch to them. Were you igniting D21Ts or D10Ws? The White Lightning motors tend to be slightly harder to light, especially old ones.

Are you sure you were using the FirstFire Jr. igniters (yellow leads) rather than the Minis (red leads usually, I think)? The FFJr are made for larger motors, typcially F-G 29mm. I have some D10s I can check but I think they come with the smaller FFMini igniters. If you were using the FFJr's that would explain the fit issues.

The Estes controller you have won't light First Fire igniters. It's only 6 volt, and doesn't have enough voltage or current. You need some sort of 12 volt controller, with thicker and longer wires. I wouldn't want to be that close to an APCP motor when it lights.

You didn't specify, which motors exactly are you trying to light?

I bet it was a combination of old igniters and the electric button without enough hutzpah.

Aerotech d10-3 (single use)
Aerotech d10-5 (single use)

I'm going to get a couple more igniters and a new, bigger, foolproof electric thing. Any recommendations?

I bet it was a combination of old igniters and the electric button without enough hutzpah.

Aerotech d10-3 (single use)
Aerotech d10-5 (single use)

I'm going to get a couple more igniters and a new, bigger, foolproof electric thing. Any recommendations?

OK, those are the same motors I have, I just have the longer delay.

I don't really know what controllers are on the market- I made my own. But I did fit test a sonic igniter in a D10 and it fit a bit tight, but fine. I may end up doing that when I burn it- some of the pyrogen broke off at some point, so I wouldn't really trust the igniter anymore.

Old igniters are probably not the problem- the only old igniter issue I've had was a Copperhead, which probably was more due to it being a Copperhead than it being old. Not sure though- other people who know more than me might disagree.

Just throwing out there:

Estes sonic igniters easily fit the slots on 18mm D's and are useable with the Electron Beam controller.

Just go down to your nearest vape shop and get some 14500 batteries and a charger, your AA controller now blips about 16V and amps-o-plenty.

I've done a 4x d21 cluster this way, as well as g76's ( green is hard to light ); all stock igniters.

I have used my 18v battery from my cordless drill , works like a charm :wink:

Just go down to your nearest vape shop and get some 14500 batteries and a charger, your AA controller now blips about 16V and amps-o-plenty.

I've done a 4x d21 cluster this way, as well as g76's ( green is hard to light ); all stock igniters.

Thank you for sharing! I would never have thought of that. Just looked on ebay, $10 for batteries and a charger. What about the light? I would think that would need changed as well?

On mine, at least, the light was no problem. If you're launching in the cold, keep the LiPos in your shirt pocket / under your jacket until go time.

Thank you for sharing! I would never have thought of that. Just looked on ebay, $10 for batteries and a charger. What about the light? I would think that would need changed as well?

Yes, you will need a 12v lamp or LED. And don't forget the cable to the igniter. The thin wire will limit the amperage.

A 14500 battery is 3.7v. Are you using four of them?

I have had, on occasion, a bear of a time getting AT RMS White Lightning propellant to light. I usually break them open and score the grain along the inter slot; after the third igniter or so. Sadly, your using single use motors. So I'm not sure how, or even if one could, or should be able to scrape the grain.

Beyond that, best I can think would be to get something along the lines of a small amount of AT Blue Thunder propellant slivers around the igniter to help heat up the White Lightning enough to pressurize. And, as mentioned, more juice in a launch controller.

I do much enjoy AT 18mm motors. In fact I'm just finishing up building a replacement Estes Super Alpha for the one I had a very comical engine side burnout early last year on a 18mm Blue Thunder.

She was up for retirement anywho'.

And as for Copperhead igniters. They seem to have been made for AT White propellants. Of all the different igniters I've used, I can safely say that Copperheads have given me about the least amount of headaches; Outside of the ones Ken from Proformance Hobbies, sells.[emoji12]

Last edited:
Back