Who has package from Wildman BS sale?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
youre gonna need a ton of 24/40s to fly an ultimate!

Lol, good thing I ordered 18 of them! Smoking deal and I hate rebuilding motors out on the field when I fly mid power locally. I’m going straight 98mm in the ultimate, wish there was a bit more space to cluster and air start. Considered going 75mm central and some 38s, haven’t measured, but I’m just going to leave clusters and air starts for my 8”-12” rockets I think.

Not to brag, but I got my black Saturday order on black Saturday.

Nope- a few hours after I ordered. Doesn’t hurt that a friend of mine (CZTeacherman) was at Tim’s house taking orders, and picked up mine for me :)

And it was two motors... B6-4 and what was the other one? :tongue: :tongue:

Here, I ripped the box's guts open already...
QsD0Pmn.jpg

WTF is this????
m7OymaS.jpg

It came with order for free along with some steel putty and a hand protection barrier um stuff?

Hey, I got two of those... one's sitting right in front of me. I'm guessing Glenmarc got a 3D printer a few months back...

Hey, I got two of those... one's sitting right in front of me. I'm guessing Glenmarc got a 3D printer a few months back...

It feels casted out of some hard ceramic or glass like material maybe even fired clay? Perhaps they 3D printed the first but this doesn't feel like plastic at all.

I think it is cast out of rocketpoxy with an orange dye added, based on the bubbles in the base of mine.

Little Orange Rocketpoxy Cosmonaut... You shall soar!

It feels casted out of some hard ceramic or glass like material maybe even fired clay? Perhaps they 3D printed the first but this doesn't feel like plastic at all.

You should analyze the little orange man in one of your university's labs. You have access to mass spectrometry, right?
;)

You should analyze the little orange man in one of your university's labs. You have access to mass spectrometry, right?
;)

No, don't encourage him! He'll now post some mindless blather for about twenty minutes before he tells us about the process of acquiring said mass spectrometer.....

For all the curious minds out there regarding the ROCKETPOXY astronaut that was included in the Wildman special XMAS black Sat. sale. No 3-D printing was used.
It was made in the same way a lot of movie props; toy prototypes and even small production runs are done. Sort of like an economical way to do a similar process known as plastic injection molding. Except the molds don’t cost $20K, we can make molds for about $5 each

The ROCKTPOXY astronaut was originally sculpted out of a special soft sculptor’s clay by a master sculptor then cured in an oven to harden. This sculptor uses many very fine detailed tools that look almost like very fine dental or eye surgery tools, all of this was done by “old school” sculptor eye to hand coordination (No 3-d graphics or cad program to printer is used at all). The sculptor who made this is a very good friend and resin casting customer of Glenmarc. You have probably seen some more of his work in the background prop pieces on the set if you have seen the new blade runner movie or Star Wars movie. He also does many prototype toys for Mattel and others. This sort of “old school” approach to making parts and props like this is still widely used.

We based The ROCKETPOXY astronaut on the old route 66 theme. The actual statue that was used for inspiration was the Gemini Giant, which is a landmark statue on U.S. Route 66 at the Eastern entrance to Wilmington, Illinois. Standing outside the Launching Pad Drive-In restaurant, the 30 foot tall statue is one of many giant "Muffler Man" advertising props found throughout the USA and especially old route 66 in the Fifties/Sixties. The Gemini Giant is named after the Gemini space program and holds a silver "rocket ship" in his hands, while sporting an astronaut's space helmet that resembles a welding mask. This is currently still located at this area, so stop by and check it our next time you are in the area of Wilmington, or doing the Old route 66 trek from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA.

We did our own “artists” interpretation of this.
After the sculpture is hard from curing in an oven, a flexible silicone mold was made around the sculpture. This is done by mounting the sculpture in a wooden box and using a two-part liquid silicone mold material, that is mixed and poured around the sculpture until the silicone hardens but is still flexible to a Shore A 30 (hardness scale). There is also a complete knowledge of how the mold was set up to be split in half, items added for the mold to line up perfectly again, sprues, runners, etc. that the molder has to possess, but is beyond the scope of my quick response here.
Than a color pigmented two-part polyurethane casting resin (Glenmarc also formulates and manufacturers urethane casting resins) is mixed and poured into the mold. The material sets off in about 3 minutes and is ready to demold in about 8 to 10 minutes when it cures to about a Shore 75D (hardness scale). This can be repeated hundreds of times and/or with multiple molds all made from the same original sculpture. Each silicone mold can yield up to about 300 casting before needing to be changed out. Using 10 molds we were able to make about a hundred replicants in about 90 minutes, try doing that on a 3D printer, some times "old school" is really very efficient!
And that's how the ROCKETPOXY dude was made.

Last edited:
Got mine - minus the nose cones. My order was close to complete, so it shipped with what they had. A few small parts are still pending, but that's ok.

Got mine - minus the nose cones. My order was close to complete, so it shipped with what they had. A few small parts are still pending, but that's ok.

My stuff is on the way! Long skinny box containing the Falcon 3 body tube/coupler and the Mach 2 parts arrived yesterday. Second shipment is arriving next week, should contain the rest of the parts for the Falcon and other things that didn't fit inside the body tube.

Rocketman stowed away inside the body tube.

Back