Retention After The Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normzilla

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is where this question should go but didn't know where else to put it.

I've got 5 kits from an epic black Friday slaughter of my credit card. I'm crazy itching to build but have no motor retention for any of the kits.

So I'm going to start building and my idea is to leave out the most aft motor to centering ring fillet and some extra motor tube space with the idea to add retention later.

I should be ok right??

Thanks all and Merry Christmas

Nate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Aero packs website gives more details. For 29 mm motors, the motor tube should extend 1/4" below the aft centering ring, 3/8" for 38 mm and 1/2" for 54 mm.

Keep in mind that there are many ways to provide retention. You don't have to use the expensive AeroPack retainers unless you want to....

Research Kaplow clips. Essentially a 'z' shape piece of aluminum or steel that you can make at home cheap. One end gets drilled for a screw. Install t-nuts into the bottom centering ring (I use #6) an you are good to go. You may be able to find them at a home improvement store, sold as window clips.

I have one rocket with a re-purposed Gatoraide bottle neck & cap for retention. I have several that use Madcow retainer plates. I only have 2 plates, but the rockets are fitted with t-nuts and the retainers move from rocket to rocket.

YMMV

Keep in mind that there are many ways to provide retention. You don't have to use the expensive AeroPack retainers unless you want to....

Research Kaplow clips. Essentially a 'z' shape piece of aluminum or steel that you can make at home cheap. One end gets drilled for a screw. Install t-nuts into the bottom centering ring (I use #6) an you are good to go. You may be able to find them at a home improvement store, sold as window clips.

I have one rocket with a re-purposed Gatoraide bottle neck & cap for retention. I have several that use Madcow retainer plates. I only have 2 plates, but the rockets are fitted with t-nuts and the retainers move from rocket to rocket.

YMMV
Will do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Aeropack.. as stated in post #2.

Have also drilled & tapped #8 or #10 holes right up against the MMT to use a screw.. The screw head locks the motor in, typically a pan or truss head screw. Just remember to add thin CA to the threaded holes & re-tap to get stronger threads..

Aeropack.. as stated in post #2.

Have also drilled & tapped #8 or #10 holes right up against the MMT to use a screw.. The screw head locks the motor in, typically a pan or truss head screw. Just remember to add thin CA to the threaded holes & re-tap to get stronger threads..

I have done this as well, adding a washer to the screw if needed to get a better hold on the motor. Seems to work.

Also don't forget about the Aeropack 54mm & up flange mount. Leave your mmt flush to the bottom ring and bolt a flange retainer on.

Back