Estes K-11 Wac Corporal Clone!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Reaction score
IMG_3893.jpgIMG_3894.jpgJust finished a clone of the first model rocket I ever built way back in 1968 when I was 10 years old! Brought back so many wonderful memories I have in this great hobby😊!! I can't wait to launch it!!
I picked up enough parts to build another one, so maybe I will paint it up with the yellow base color.....I've been using Rustoleum paints for years with good results, but the last few rockets that I've painted lately have had some minor issues, so I was wondering what brand of rattlecan paints all you awesome rocketeers use or recommend??

I use and like Krylon, mostly because at Wally World the can is 30 percent larger than Rusto. never had an issue with the paint.

looking good...1 little thing, Estes put the launch lug inside the instrument tunnel(and offset the tunnel so the rod would clear the fin) so, your's is closer to scale. methinks that I would have used 2 short lugs roughly 1/4" long instead...but that is just my take :). I wouldn't try a C6 for the first flight though.
Rex

Okay, so if I'm working up a few of these that I bought as Clone Kits using Semroc Laser-Cut Parts, I've got some decisions to make. Right? In the original Estes Kit the tunnel was cheated to the side of one fin and disguised the LL. I've just decided that I'm going to keep the tunnel in line with one fin, maintaining scale appearance, and place a couple 1/4" LLs between two fins. It ain't new, just new to me.

The WAC was the first rocket I built that got to fly. When I became a BAR, I built a clone, LL in the conduit. Also painted it the same as my original, using metallic blue nail polish for the cone, conduit and fins....

A joy to fly in the backyard on 13mm motors.

Was my second rocket back in early 70s (first was the Screamer.)
Made the mistake of launching with C6-5 in a light breeze. Weathercocked right into wind and never saw it again.

Just finished a clone of the first model rocket I ever built way back in 1968 when I was 10 years old! Brought back so many wonderful memories I have in this great hobby��!! I can't wait to launch it!!
I picked up enough parts to build another one, so maybe I will paint it up with the yellow base color.....I've been using Rustoleum paints for years with good results, but the last few rockets that I've painted lately have had some minor issues, so I was wondering what brand of rattlecan paints all you awesome rocketeers use or recommend??

Nice. What did you use for nose weights?

For paint, its very expensive, but its hard to beat Tamiya Spray lacquer for color saturation. If you are using white glassine body tube, it covers well in a single coat.

The WAC Corporal was my first too. Got it in 1974 or 1975. Probably because it was the lowest-priced kit among the meagre stock in the hobby section of Two Guys department store.

I have what is almost certainly a confabulated memory of it hanging with a few other bagged kits below a shelved Firing Line ready-to-fly X-15 launch set. I didn't paint it, and I am pretty sure that I lost it up a tree on its second or fifth flight -- because I remember using the leftover B6-4 engine (in the diamond tube package) as an argument for buying another kit.

When my daughter got interested in rockets summer-before-last, I googled my way to Balsa Machining Service looking for a Gyroc. Along with that kit, I ordered a BNC20R cone and some BT20 stock. We salvaged balsa sheet stock from a Guillow's glider that somebody stepped on, used a boxed-milk straw for a lug, and cut a parachute from a plastic shopping bag.

Because I didn't have anything to substitute for two lead NCW-1 nose weights, and no idea how much they massed, I drilled out the cone and glued in a tungsten fishing weight. Made the little rocket way over-stable. We brushed on silver and ball Testors enamel.

When we debuted it at our second club launch, the LCO recognized it and announced to the crowd "This is a classic Estes kit from the 1960s. A scale model of real sounding rocket!" None of the kids waiting in line with their Crayons and Skywriters and Hi Fliers there were impressed, but there were a few murmurs of appreciation among the parents. ^-^. We got five or six good flights out of that rocket over the summer -- from A8-5 to C6-5 -- but the too-big parachute kept getting hung up in the body tube. A lawn-dart bent the tip of the nosecone. A couple of hard landings -- after I switched out the parachute for a streamer -- chewed up the fins. Finally, the forward part of the body tube got crushed when somebody dropped something heavy into our box of rockets at the last launch of the season. I've repaired it, and will repaint it, but it is retired from flying now.

Untitled-1.jpg

I've since built BT55, 2 inch (kit bashed from an Estes Mammoth), and BT80 WAC Corporals of varying degrees of fidelity to scale. I've got parts for a 3 inch and another BT20 model bagged and waiting in the build pile.

looking good...1 little thing, Estes put the launch lug inside the instrument tunnel(and offset the tunnel so the rod would clear the fin) so, your's is closer to scale. methinks that I would have used 2 short lugs roughly 1/4" long instead...but that is just my take :). I wouldn't try a C6 for the first flight though.
Rex

Thanks Rex! About the lug thing.....yeah....i get it!:) Very good idea indeed! I shall do that on Wac #2!! Always appreciate your input/takes!!

Nice. What did you use for nose weights?

For paint, its very expensive, but its hard to beat Tamiya Spray lacquer for color saturation. If you are using white glassine body tube, it covers well in a single coat.

The WAC Corporal was my first too. Got it in 1974 or 1975. Probably because it was the lowest-priced kit among the meagre stock in the hobby section of Two Guys department store.

I have what is almost certainly a confabulated memory of it hanging with a few other bagged kits below a shelved Firing Line ready-to-fly X-15 launch set. I didn't paint it, and I am pretty sure that I lost it up a tree on its second or fifth flight -- because I remember using the leftover B6-4 engine (in the diamond tube package) as an argument for buying another kit.

When my daughter got interested in rockets summer-before-last, I googled my way to Balsa Machining Service looking for a Gyroc. Along with that kit, I ordered a BNC20R cone and some BT20 stock. We salvaged balsa sheet stock from a Guillow's glider that somebody stepped on, used a boxed-milk straw for a lug, and cut a parachute from a plastic shopping bag.

Because I didn't have anything to substitute for two lead NCW-1 nose weights, and no idea how much they massed, I drilled out the cone and glued in a tungsten fishing weight. Made the little rocket way over-stable. We brushed on silver and ball Testors enamel.

When we debuted it at our second club launch, the LCO recognized it and announced to the crowd "This is a classic Estes kit from the 1960s. A scale model of real sounding rocket!" None of the kids waiting in line with their Crayons and Skywriters and Hi Fliers there were impressed, but there were a few murmurs of appreciation among the parents. ^-^. We got five or six good flights out of that rocket over the summer -- from A8-5 to C6-5 -- but the too-big parachute kept getting hung up in the body tube. A lawn-dart bent the tip of the nosecone. A couple of hard landings -- after I switched out the parachute for a streamer -- chewed up the fins. Finally, the forward part of the body tube got crushed when somebody dropped something heavy into our box of rockets at the last launch of the season. I've repaired it, and will repaint it, but it is retired from flying now.

View attachment 334870

I've since built BT55, 2 inch (kit bashed from an Estes Mammoth), and BT80 WAC Corporals of varying degrees of fidelity to scale. I've got parts for a 3 inch and another BT20 model bagged and waiting in the build pile.

I found some heavy steel washers in my stash of junk! Dont know what kind of steel they are made from but they are much heavier than average grade washers! Judging by your post, you appreciate the looks of the Wac as i do! I now have 5 in a variety of sizes!!

The WAC is one of my all-time favorites too. Second rocket I ever built. I have a K-11 clone just about ready for paint, but being in the middle of a move it isn't likely to be finished any time soon!

According to the catalogs, the old Estes nose weights were .12 oz each, and the WAC used two as I recall. I just stacked enough steel washers to equal .24 oz (three of the ones I had) and called it good. The screw eye still had several threads in the wood, but I poured a bit of epoxy down into the hole in the washers before threading it in just to be sure.

I built the k-11 as a true clone of the old kit with the conduit lug, beveled fins and everything. I have a 1/10 scale Semroc WAC, also waiting for paint, that I'm planning to "scale out" with rivet detail, etc.

IMG_20170513_180339.jpg IMG_20170511_215017.jpg

With it's Semroc big brother:

IMG_20170511_223039.jpg

Can't wait to get this move over with and get back to the fun stuff!

View attachment 334810View attachment 334813Just finished a clone of the first model rocket I ever built way back in 1968 when I was 10 years old! Brought back so many wonderful memories I have in this great hobby😊!! I can't wait to launch it!!

These are the best kind of projects....real nostalgia.

I used Rustoleum after original Krylon formula was phased out.
Not entirely thrilled with it but it works.

I found some heavy steel washers in my stash of junk! Dont know what kind of steel they are made from but they are much heavier than average grade washers! Judging by your post, you appreciate the looks of the Wac as i do! I now have 5 in a variety of sizes!!

Yeah. I am sentimental about it, since it was my first. I remember thinking it was a weapon, when I got the kit as a kid, and being pleasantly surprised when I opened the instructions and read that it was a sounding rocket. I grew up in southeastern Pennsylvania, and I knew about sounding rockets because we'd seen glowing clouds in the night sky; experiments launched form Wallops Island. As a BAR, I read up on the WAC program and decided to build a high power version for my L1.

That's the BT80 version. I had a good time figuring out how to make the fins for that model. A series of misadventures meant I didn't fly that one for L1, but I did get in the air on a G38 (a subsequent G75 motor failure shredded its guts right at the end of the season -- but its back together now and it's going up on an H or an I in the Spring).

But -- for me -- its also a matter of form following function. Its an easy build, and flies really well at every scale.

One thing I've noticed, taking the K-11 clone to the club's LPR launches, is how small it looks next to the BT50 and BT60-based models that show up in the hands of most of the kids coming to fly for the first time.

WAC-familyportrait.png

Yes! It is a VERY small rocket indeed! A a kid I always had a difficult time trying to jam a 12" chute in that lil' guy! A full chute was very rare with that rocket, but it was so light, that it never seemed to get much damage when the chute didn't deploy! I cut down a 12" chute to 9" on my new model...seemed easier to pack....cant wait for the next launch to give it a go!:):)

Yes! It is a VERY small rocket indeed! A a kid I always had a difficult time trying to jam a 12" chute in that lil' guy! A full chute was very rare with that rocket, but it was so light, that it never seemed to get much damage when the chute didn't deploy! I cut down a 12" chute to 9" on my new model...seemed easier to pack....cant wait for the next launch to give it a go!:):)

I use a plastic tape streamer with mine....

Back