Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    Good jig.

What do you do to ensure the slots are 90deg?
    Even though the sides are slanted, they are both slanted the same so the height of both sides above the base is the same and that keeps the sled parallel to the base and the bit going straight down. Also, the sled is designed with the router bit centered between the rails. I marked the locations of the fins on the tube using a guide I printed from Open Rocket. I align the router bit to the marks on the tube by putting some finger paint on it and lowering it with the power off until it touches the tube.

Last edited by kswing; 13th January 2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Better Explanation
    Ken
    Northern Virginia
    TRA# 16215
    L2 - 11/19/2016

I've made more progress on this rocket in the past few days. For now, I'm still working on the booster. I glued the upper two centering rings onto the MMT and I also added a U-Bolt to the upper MMT and sewed on a 3 ft. length of tubular Kevlar. Then I glued the MMT into the booster body tube. Here's a picture of the MMT with it's upper centering rings and the Kevlar harness:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mmt.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	337176

After this, I cut a fin alignment jig out of some poster board and glued in the first fin. I used a template printed from http://community.rocketreviews.com/?...&tool=finguide to layout the fin jig. So far I've only cut out the slot for the first fin, but, it has lines for all four and I will cut out the others as needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fin_jig.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	337177

I used 30 minute epoxy to glue the rings to the MMT since they were cardboard and plywood and the 30 minute epoxy should be stronger than the material. I used Aeropoxy ES6209 to glue on the fin since it is thicker and forms better fillets and it also connects to the Blue Tube air frame. For the fin, I used the triple-dip technique, where you put a good layer of epoxy on the fin root, insert it, remove it, and then repeat twice to form the beginnings of an internal fin fillet.

In addition to the above progress, I ordered some 1/2" tubular nylon (TN) to use for the recovery harness both for the booster and the sustainer. I'm going to use Kevlar next to the MMT for heat resistance and then use the TN for the rest of the harness so it can stretch a little if needed. I'll have a ball-bearing swivel between the Kevlar and the the TN so things won't tangle up as much if the fin can spins.

Last edited by kswing; 27th January 2018 at 04:47 AM. Reason: added more details
    Ken
    Northern Virginia
    TRA# 16215
    L2 - 11/19/2016

I've made some more progress on this rocket. I've got the fins glued on the booster and I've sanded and glued together the end caps for the electronics bay. Here are some pictures of the fins and lower centering ring on the booster. Note that I glued in the MMT with the two upper centering rings and left off the bottom centering ring until I could add internal fillets. Also, I've switched from AeroPoxy ES6209 over to RocketPoxy. I really like the AeroPoxy, but, when I opened my new package of it (which I ordered last year) I found that somehow I ended up with two cans of part B and no part A, so, I figured it was a good time to try out RocketPoxy. So far, it seems the RocketPoxy is a bit easier to work with as long as you let it set for a bit once it is mixed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180213_201952434.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	338480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180211_161342845.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	338481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180211_161329904.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	338482  
    Ken
    Northern Virginia
    TRA# 16215
    L2 - 11/19/2016

Slowly but surely I have made progress on this. I've cut the fin slots and fins for the sustainer and I've built the avionics bay that will handle the sustainer deployment. I've spaced the all-thread in the avionics bay so that I can move the altimeter sled (with an Eggtimer Quark) between this rocket and my MAC Rayzor. Next I'm going to work on sanding fins and the lower avionics bay which will handle lighting the sustainer. Below is a dry-fit picture both stages together.....in comes in just shy of 8 feet tall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dry_fit.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	341050

Ken
    Northern Virginia
    TRA# 16215
    L2 - 11/19/2016