Cj's builds MadCow Nike-Apache 2-stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Too late for me. I've contacted Madcow about replacement parts. I guess the important safety tip is to make sure the top of your booster airframe is square, and then make sure the bottom of the transition is square (not sure how), and make sure it all fits together without gaps before the glue sets. For my next one, I'm also going to slide a long piece of 38mm airframe over the 38mm coupler extending out the back of the 54mm motor mount. That way I can be sure the I/S coupler is square to the rest of the booster, which is really the main thing.

Actually quite simple.
Just put the BP inside I/S, insert the 4inch coupler and check fit with booster airframe before any glueing.
That's what I did & found I had a nub on Booster airframe that needs squaring up

When it came time for real glueing/assembly THAT's when I found I had not seated the BP's in place, but fixed before glue set. [just a harder push...lol]

Sorry for your troubles, but it will surely get the attention of others to double check when they build the most important part of this.

I'm finished with paint & placing decals today [Stickershock has really great ones perfect for this project]
Rustoleum Gloss apple red is the perfect match for Red on decals.

Nike-Apache.jpg

Quick call to Mark & they were on the way.

See here:
https://stickershock23.com/product/madcow-nike-apache/

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 9.42.23 PM.png

I'm going to put in one post all the decal & color data we can round up. First couple I found here & some scale dimensions.
Careful reading & enlarging these 2 show placement of all the above decals.
I chose colors & decals for "Keweenaw" launch site [Michigan Spaceport]

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 9.42.37 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 11.59.42 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 12.00.00 PM.png DSCN0898.jpg

If you guys have any post them & I will consolidate all in one place...Sound good?
Then they will be here for posterity,for all to use.

Last edited:
Spent a week putzing around with paint, taping & decal placement. Still have to install recovery & all electronics, but decided to take advantage of such good weather.
I went with color scheme I found from search, there are so many to chose from. Paints I used.

Rustoleum 2x primer [white] base coat for all.
Rust. 2x apple red gloss fincan & fins...nose cone. [perfect match with decals]
Rust. metallic silver indoor/outdoor for I/S coupler.
Rust. 2x gloss white finish coat for all.
Stickershock vinyl Nike-Apache set. https://stickershock23.com/product/madcow-nike-apache/

View attachment 340140

Pics show proper placement & orientation for all.
I did bugger the 'Thiokol" should have been centered. NC should be metallic silver, but I liked red!

View attachment 340141 View attachment 340142

View attachment 340143 View attachment 340144

View attachment 340145 View attachment 340146

View attachment 340147 View attachment 340148

CJ, this rocket looks outstanding! Has it flown yet? Love the sustainer motor retention method...will have to steal that technique.

Hasn't flown yet.
Got ahead of myself painting.[took advantage of weather]
Still working on install of recovery & electronics.

I had mine made custom as a favor.
Mine are "stepped" G-10 bulk plates. I don't know who...if anyone has those.
Wood would be fine.

If you order, you would need 2 [4in.] airframe bulk plates & 2 coupler bulk plates. Then glue 1 of each together making your av-bay/I/S lids.
You can get aluminum stepped bulk plate also. Wildman & MadCow has those.
Probably will need to call around for stepped version unless someone chimes in with supplier or you have a fly cutter to make your own.

Edit: I just found these from AMWproX:https://cart.amwprox.com/index.php?...art_product_id=1099&virtuemart_category_id=81

Ken allen {performance hobbies} did have actual stepped G-10... his site is too hard for me to navigate...quick call would answer.

Last edited:
CJ, instead of the awesome HEI closures no longer being made, how would you chose to set up this combo? Missile Works timer in the interstage to light the sustainer from below?

CJ, instead of the awesome HEI closures no longer being made, how would you chose to set up this combo? Missile Works timer in the interstage to light the sustainer from below?

As a rule of thumb you want to light the sustainer from the sustainer itself, lighting from the booster is riskier and honestly more complicated. On my Nike Apache (and probably my Nike Tomahawk) I just extended the sustainer motor mount tube far enough back where I can tape the motor in place for retention around the motor mount and I went with a piece of Aluminum tubing for a conduit in between the rings. I believe I used either 3/16" or 1/4" ID tubing and actually clamped it in a vise to flatten it out so I ended up with an oval shape. I can fit 3 sets of J-tek E-match leads in to the conduit and have a little room to spare. Its been working pretty well for me so far.

Jim, did you find your booster? I looked with my drone after the rain and could not find it. will look some more next month if needed.

David I did not lose the booster, only the main chute & sustainer nose cone. Thanks for trying.

For those not there, last week I flew the 2-stage Nike-Apache with less than stellar results.
Booster has a Pet-2 timer for separation charge. {1/2 gram BP]
PerfectFlite CF for apogee only chute deployment. [not dual deploy on booster] 2.0gram BP
9/16 shock cord 20ft & 36in. Topflight chute

Sustainer uses RRC3 with 3sec stage delay for motor ignition. [Motor burn time 1.75 with 1.25 delay for sustainer ignition...so 3 sec total delay]
RRC3 timer starts at motor ignition, so you must include burn time in calculations. Sustainer should be at 400-450 ft/sec at ignition.

Spherachute 18in drogue.
Spherachute 30in main.
1/8 in. Kevlar 20 ft drogue
10ft main.
.75 gram BP both charges.

Pics will be back in reserved posts tomorrow after I edit them.
Of great interest for many will be the extensive pics of setting up head-end ignition module for sustainer.

So back to flight.... AT I-435-T for Booster
AT H-220-T for sustainer...BUT no igniter...just to plug motor hole so deployment charge would work.

I wanted to send stack up on booster motor...test separation charge...fly sustainer like a boosted dart [no motor] & check to see that recovery gear and 3rd pyro on RRC3 was timed correctly[had just a match hooked up on bulk plate.]
After flight download data and graph to see that everything in the money for full up test flight.

Lift off swift and clean like a bullet, couldn't believe that little 38 would hit the stack that hard...luverly.
At motor burn out....clean separation charge!

Booster went to 2400ft and chute came out on time.
Sustainer apogee charge fired...but no joy!
Right on time main fires at 700...BUT due to ballistic speed cut cord and chute and NC drift off, while rest of rocket smacks the sod.
Only the payload and av-bay were in ground fincan pulled right off.
2 hours later I have payload and av-bay out of ground & in perfect shape!

Don't know why what happened did. I have used same charge set-up in 2 other rockets virtually identical with no issue. Sometimes ya just never know "WHY" & must accept it.

Finish prepping tomorrow for Airfest & will post bunch of pics.

Last edited:
Was just digging through the pile and found my Nike Tomohawk. Looked @ the interstage parts pile and immediately realized there wasn't enough stuff to make it into an av bay, but thanks to the new forum topic I found your thread on exactly what I need. Thanks Jim. Your posts are hugely valuable time and material savers.

Neither....no longer available it was a one time offer.
Over 50 of them, in various sizes,it was extremely time consuming & not for money, they sold for same price as a standard closure.

Some day maybe again, but not for quite awhile. Other things to make.

Last edited:
Back